RSL Offseason News Thread 2011-12

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SALTLAKEJAKE

SALTLAKEJAKE Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Sugarhood
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2013 third round superdraft pick? wow. i know Robbie took a couple steps back this season, but really? the guy is still a very solid outside back and thats all you could get for him?

i'll miss kimbo, he provided RSL's greatest moment and put in several good years in a tough position. thanks for all you've done RR, good luck with DC.

3. Christoph

Christoph Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Farm Country
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this move screams "salary cap savings."

and quite frankly, who would you want from DC? IMO Russell IS worth more than a 3rd round draft pick though, I mean come on, at least throw in some tootsie pops left over from Halloween.

(in all seriousness, I do agree, I think we should have gotten more from him. superdraft picks are worthless)

5. SALTLAKEJAKE

SALTLAKEJAKE Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Sugarhood
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more I look into this the more surprised I am that we didn't really get anything besides some breathing room. Now, if that breathing room allows us to sign Espy for 3 years, or bring someone in from Argentina, I will consider it a great move.

6. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that the worth of the pick reflects Russell's actual worth as a player. DC was pretty sure to get him in the re-entry draft for free from RSL. The two teams probably made this deal so RSL could get something, though not much, and DC guarantees that some other team won't snatch him up in the re-entry draft. DC wasn't going to give up a lot for a player that they were probably going to get for free. I'm amazed that RSL got anything at all for him. I expected him to just be drafted in the re-entry draft.

Besides, RSL got Shuler in the 3rd round so these picks aren't always worthless. Just most of the time.

7. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    I'm actually surprised that DC did this. It was obvious that they were going to end up with him, but I assume this deal means they are re-signing him to a bonafide offer, which means at his current salary (plus 5%). He is quite over-priced at that.

Some may not know this, but Russell has also been living apart from his wife who recently graduated law school and has been in DC for a couple of years working. This is a move that RSL also did for Russell.

However, the amusing thing is that we got the 3rd round pick in a 2 round draft.

8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I find interesting is that Portland opens on a Monday night... weird stuff.

So, assuming we play a game before our first home game, the teams we could start the season at are:
    cRapids
    DC
    LA
    SJ
    Seattle
    Vancouver
    Chivas
    Dallas
    Portland

Not sure which team I'd like to play at the most. Probably Chivas, but having to play at the HDC just a day after LA hosted someone on it would kinda suck.

A season opening road trip to the Dick would be pretty fun...

9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could it be that other teams were possibly looking to pick up Russell as well so DC/RSL made it a sure thing?
    Thus avoiding any team *coughmontrealcough* using it against DC

10. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope this means that RR continues with his RSL salary (which is nice for him). Glad he's not in the West. All the best for someone who bled for us.

11. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like the idea that the trade was made with Robby's wishes in mind, if in fact that is how it went down classy move by RSL. Russell is a huge part of the history of this team and I wish him the best.

12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If our first game of the season is either @ Seattle or @ LA we would be catching those teams at probably the best time possible.

LA plays at TFC in CCL play on 3/7. They would have to fly across the country and play on 3 days of rest. The second leg of that series would be just 4 days later, as well, so an ideal time to play them. Getting points at the HDC against LA is rather tough, we saw that this past season. I'd love to break their home winning streak

Seattle hosts Santos on the 7th, so they too would be on only 3 days rest. They wouldn't have had a trip before the game, but they would have to travel to Mexico in just 4 days after that game.

So, yeah, I hope we play LA or Seattle to open the season I think...

13. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and playing either team, particularly LA, would be a good storyline for the league. i got a lot of "well the houston vs LA final was good and all, nice to see beckham get his ring, but the real final was LA vs RSL two weeks earlier" vibes from places across the interwebz. it's hard to say what the makeup of all these teams will be like in 4.5 months, but it very well could be that RSL, LA and Sea are pegged as the top 3 teams in the league again and I'm sure MLS would love to open the season with LA playing one of the other two.

14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and with the schedule they posted, LA and Seattle can't play each other the first week...

15. RSLSteve

RSLSteve Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to your PK you helped us get a cup. Best of Luck in D.C.

[​IMG]

16. Zacalie

Zacalie Member

May 14, 2010
    Gilbert, AZ
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Santino Quaranta let go by DC today and will be in the re-entry draft. What do you guys think about RSL picking him up? Speedy, skillful winger and apparently only makes about $120,000 (plus the 5% or whatever we'd have to raise him) according to what I am reading. I'd welcome him...

17. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First saw him play years ago in a under 20 international tournament? Thought then "wow this kid is a future talent." Depending on what happens in SA with the Kries Talent Search, I would not say no too quickly. Funny how certain player's excel in certain situations, RSL may be just the place for Quaranta.

18. pcny

pcny Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I like Quaranta--RSL would actually be a good place for him. No disrespect to AA, but Q plus 100k is a good trade!

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he is only worth it by Stage 2, where RSL can dictate what the cost will be. To pay $120k seems a little high at this point. Considering we have stalwarts like Espindola making $75k right now (well at least for the next week or so).

20. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Like with AA, I don't personally think our system plays to his strengths. Our central midfielders need to be tight with the ball, and good in traffic. Not his strongest suit.

More like day or so. No doubt RSL will exercise the option, which has a significant increase (I'd bet somewhere around $200K). From there, they will likely work with him on a longer term deal.

21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this.
    I think Quaranta could possibly work in our system but I don't want to risk the 120+K on it. He isn't as much of an out and out winger like AA, but he isn't exactly a center mid either... the risk is high there.

I doubt he lasts past the first round, though.
    I see him ending up in Montreal or Toronto.

22. SALTLAKEJAKE

SALTLAKEJAKE Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Sugarhood
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team -name- -Position- -y- -Reason-
    Real Salt Lake Alexandre, Jean M 3 OPTION DECLINED
    Real Salt Lake Alvarez, Arturo M/F 9 OUT OF CONTRACT
    Real Salt Lake Wagner,**Blake M 4 OPTION DECLINED
    Real Salt Lake Gonzalez, Nelson M/F 3 OPTION DECLINED
    Real Salt Lake McKenzie, Rauwshan D 4 OPTION DECLINED
    Real Salt Lake Williams, Andy M 14 OUT OF CONTRACT

RSL players available in the Re-Entry draft.

23. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bit surprised by Jean, but IMO this means they're going to retain Yourdanis - and I'm a big fan of that guy's upside.

We could try and sign Simon Elliott for a Halloween corpse event.

24. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    I don't know he is right for Real. He is too much like AA . Quaranta always appeared to me like he was always coasting on the field If that was because he has been on the same team for his entire professional career and got complacent, then I might take a chance and pick him up and see if in preseason he understands that to stay in soccer he would have to work up to his ability.But I forget the new contract. If Real picks him up now is he on the team for next year or is there still a time when a player can get waived in preseason without having to get their salary?