RSL Offseason News Thread 2011-12

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    two leg conference finals?
    so, just how long is this season going to be!?!

2. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd much rather have two rounds of home/away than the way it was now. I think it helps ensure the best teams make it to the final. I'll be upset if the final goes to the seed number and not point total. I have a feeling it'll go seed number, then tie breaker as head to head, *then* overall points.

3. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other article linked says that it will be roughly the same as this past year:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/11/20/mls-reveals-2012-conference-based-schedule-format

4. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like how there is no wild-card next two years. Each conference has playoff among top 5 times in each conference to determine MLS Cup teams. #4 and 5 play to determine who plays against #1 seed within each conference.

5. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    SS winner with a bye to the cup is not a great reward for having the most points. Taking 3-4 weeks off and then be expected to play against a team that has probably hit it's stride in the playoffs is a recipe for disaster.

6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this part as well
    If you are going to have conferences, go all the way with them. Don't bend it so that more of one conference can get in. Especially with the unbalanced schedule

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The news today clarified this. The Supporters Shield does NOT have a bye and hosting rights to the Cup. They could, IF they win their conference final. Basically what they said today was that the highest surviving seed hosts the final.

At least thats what I got out of it.

8. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So next year LA will have two home games against Seattle, Dallas, RSL and Colorado, due purely to a random draw. Then the year, when they'd have to reverse it, MLS will change the schedule plan again.

I'm expecting this.

9. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only real positive I see with the unbalanced schedule is getting that extra RMC game.

10. NNCRed

NNCRed Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Land-o-Spuds
    I wonder if SJE are set to host the final if they'd play at the Coliseum or Candlestick instead of Buck Shaw. Not sure the Don would want to have a 10k seat stadium host the marquee event of the year.

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I think that might be the worse fear of the MLS committee, but besides Giants and Raiders/A's home they also have Stanford nearby. It will be interesting to see if the Quakes could schedule one of those venues in a 2 week window.

Personally, I'm still not big on a northern place hosting, even if its RSL. But if most fans thinks its good, then thats the way it is. I'm just glad the Supporters Shield winner doesn't have a free ride (I say that and next year RSL will win it!).

12. NNCRed

NNCRed Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Land-o-Spuds
    Forgot about Stanford and I think Cal's stadium renovation is done by next fall. That gives SJE 2 venues that should be available on a Sunday.

I know the Giants stadium hosts football games, so I'm sure it could host a soccer game as well, but I'm not sure how good that would look as a tv product. I'm sure it would still be better than 10k fans at Buck Shaw.

13. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really, Random, Really, More likely something to do with a huge T.V. deal, say 55mil.

14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they'll change the name from "MLS Game of the Week" to "LA Galaxy vs..."

15. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    15 your probably to young to remember but we used to be able to watch the Irish every week when I was a kid. who says money can't buy you love?
    L.A. just got the first goal, hope Houston can come back.

16. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    What time do the expansion draft protection lists come out tomorrow?

17. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so when did logic and common sense hit Garber and the MLS exec committee.

This is an April Fool's joke, right?

18. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    They were required to be submitted to the league by 3pm - just a few moments ago. When they will become public, I'm not sure.

19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the RSL twitter made it sound like they were submitted earlier today and that they were supposed to go public at 5ET (3MT)

It's MLS, so no matter what they'll be later than the time they announce

20. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    I'm sure many, if not all, submitted them earlier in the day, but the deadline was 5pm ET. In the past it seems like it took half hour to an hour to make the league website, but many of the lists had leaked out in the meantime.

21. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They probably like to confirm that the lists are correct on the press releases. They've had some misstatements on past protect lists that had to be corrected.

22. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'll give it to MLS, they have improved their 60-90 day standard for being late though.

23. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    . . . and I've decided this whole "Andy is gone" thing is a smoke screen to keep Montreal from pulling a Toronto-and-Kreis gambit, taking someone we're sure they won't and then trading him back to us. :)