RSL Offseason News Thread 2011-12

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are right. But, he's getting increasing playing time at Spurs. I have a feeling he may not be available. He may not be happy with the time he's getting, but it is increasing.

2. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    You can't pronounce Sigi as coach of the year and then bitch about Kries not on the final list for coty. I guess you can but why?

3. HeBeGB

HeBeGB Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I read this and thought of my previous post.

Great minds...;)

4. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been thinking/saying this since the last world cup. I think it would benefit RSL in several ways, including putting butts in seats, jersey sales, etc. Thing is, who does RSL try to trade off...Saborio or Espindola? Neither one of them will or should accept a back-up role.

5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gio at AM and Javi at RM
    Espy and Sabo stay up top

It's not gonna happen. As Balance said, with him getting more time he'll never go for it. maybe we could get his brother, though. Anybody have connections with the local hookers? (that was low)

6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure where to put this so I'll put it here:
    http://jaydemeritstory.com/find-a-screening-2/
    if you call yourself a US Soccer fan you'll go see this. It is showing at the District and at Commons until tomorrow.

Get your ass out and see it.
    Jay is a top class guy

7. HeBeGB

HeBeGB Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    North Temple isnt too far from Rio Tinto...

8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    listening to the "state of the league" address by the Garb and only 1 RSL player made the "best 11"

Jamison Olave

The team:
    GK: Keller (Seattle)
    DF: Gonzalez (LA)
    DF: Dunivant (LA)
    DF: Olave (RSL)
    MF: Donovan (LA)
    MF: Beckham (LA)
    MF: Shea (FCD)
    MF: Davis (HOU)
    FW: Henry (NY)
    FW: Wondolowski (SJ)
    FW: DeRo (DCU)

Rosales and Borchers got ********ed the most, I feel.

9. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    I can justify giving it to Dunivant, being on the team with the best defense, and whatnot.

I agree with you on Rosales, though. But just because I don't understand the Shea hype. Am I the only one? Is there something wrong with me?

10. Hardtcore

Hardtcore Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Kearnshaw
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. If that were the case, why wasn't he in the top 3 for defender of the year? I don't understand how he got it over Borchers. Now, you could argue Dunivant should've been ahead of Borchers in the top 3 though...

I think if he didn't get hurt at the end he probably would've got the nod since Shea faded at the end of the season.

11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally hate the Wondo love. Dude scores a lot, but SJ was TERRIBLE.
    They could have easily made Donovan a FW or even just gone with a 3-5-2 and put in Rosales

To not have him in the first XI was a disgrace, though.
    He is arguably the best midfield in the league.

I get the feeling they wanted to give the GK spot to an LA keeper (either) but couldn't because of Keller. Thus, they pushed Dunivant above Borchers to give credit to their defense.

Positive: Only one RSL player gets a bonus for making the first XI: Olave
    Won't LA have to pay all these guys bonuses that count against the cap? wait, no, I said LA and cap in the sentence without the words "doesn't apply".

12. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not sure how i see only 1 RSL player getting a bonus as a positive, the league is the one paying the bonuses......sooooo ya. borchers got robbed, straight up. also, its ridiculous this league places such a premium on offensive players. 3 defenders, no defensive midfielders....what the ******** is up with that? hell, just prior to his headbutt Kyle was getting a lot of talk for freaking league MVP. dude misses a couple games and now he doesnt even get a sniff for best XI? crock of shit.

i agree about wondo, the guys scores a lot for a shitty team. just like cunningham did for us. being the one beneficiary for being on a crap ass team doesnt make you a best XI player. he's good, but there are a lot of players that got snubbed so the league could go with 3 forwards.

13. Hardtcore

Hardtcore Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Kearnshaw
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's my best XI:

GK: Keller (SEA)
    DF: Gonzalez (LA)
    DF: Olave (RSL)
    DF: Borchers (RSL)
    DF: Dunivant (LA)
    MF: Alonzo (SEA)
    MF: Davis (HOU)
    MF: Rosales (SEA)
    MF: Beckham (LA)
    FW: De Rosario (DCU)
    FW: Henry (NY)

I hate how the MLS uses the terrible 3-5-2 format. Most sucessful teams in the league use a 4-4-2 with a DMid. Not that I don't agree with Landycakes, Shea or Wondo making the team but I think the above accurately reflects what a "real" team in the MLS would look like.

14. SALTLAKEJAKE

SALTLAKEJAKE Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Sugarhood
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I shit you not, Ives quoted that headbutt as the reason he wasn't on his first team. However, Henry was on Ives' first team after getting cards/suspensions this year and pulling the douchebag move of kneeing a guy that was on the ground (should have been a longer suspension than Kyle's).

Small market teams got hosed, again.

15. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not so long ago people were talking about Beckerman as league MVP, but no one is bummed he did not make the best 11?

Santos as a MVP would be fantastic but like other's have said it won't happen at least not this season. I do think if RSL is willing to spend the money (and I don't think they are) their are surely many potential DP's that could do wonders for this club.

16. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Houston apparently made an inquiry over the last off-season but he wanted to go play in Spain instead. I got a feeling that AEG will probably make another run at him since they have that new stadium opening up down there. He is going to cost a pretty penny to bring over and I just don't see your FO making that sort of financial commitment (as I don't see most FOs over here doing it). The transfer fee alone will be almost 10 million and his salary will have to be north of a million as well (particularly since FMF teams will be keen to grab him as well).

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, you heard it hear 1st (well at least on this thread).

MLS Cup 2012 is Houston unless they are serious about the Supporters Shield winner hosts or other such nonsense.

18. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    I hate to agree with Ives, but I think that headbutt disqualified him. At least, it did for me.

The league's best d-mid doesn't melt down and get himself suspended for three games at the end of the season when the team desperately needs to create some semblance of cohesion.

19. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    maybe it does disqualify him but be fair in selection. How many reds did Henjri have this year and he is top 11??

20. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't LS usually use the All Star game as a tryout? Houston gets that in 2012.

21. Black Prince

Black Prince Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I think Montreal has it in 2012.

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think, given the chance, MLS would love to have a Cup final at a new stadium. Especially one that is in a warm climate. It's the only newer southern SSS in MLS. I assume Portland, Seattle or even Philly get ASG before Montreal.

23. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Free Winning Idea for the Front Office: Schedule a bunch of concerts and/or stadium events during the FIFA dates...prevent the league from cramming matches into schedule windows that seem to hit RSL pretty hard.

I'm sure they pass the league a list of "facility unavailable" windows. Yes, this wouldn't help with road games, but it might minimize the call-up hit.

24. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fascinating idea - and a creative one at that. I like it.

25. NNCRed

NNCRed Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Land-o-Spuds
    If SS winner (or highest remaining seed) were to host MLS Cup Final, and RSL was that team, could/would we still host it?

I seem to remember that upon getting the franchise a deal was struck between the club and the league that RSL would play no home games on a Sunday. This looked to be backed up with the info that if we would have hosted NYRB in the WCF this year the game would have been on Monday night instead of Sunday.

ESPN isn't going to move the MLS Cup Final to a Saturday broadcast due to their college football obligations. ESPN probably isn't going to move it to a Monday either with their MNF contract - nor would I think the league would want the game on a weeknight to begin with.

I would think that if this situation came about, RSL would be fine with playing a home match on a Sunday for such an occassion. However, I thought they would be fine with hosting a conference final on a Sunday too, but that proved to be incorrect.