News: RSL In-Season News Thread 2010, Part 2

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christoph

Christoph Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Farm Country
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HA! Shooting the bird while walking into the locker room is nowhere near the same action as running up and down the field shoving your shirt down your pants and taunting fans. Then almost getting in a fight the team's owner when he wants you to leave the field...

Good try though...

2. realsparta

realsparta Member

Jul 22, 2008
    All over
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that didn't last long.

3. canyonvue

canyonvue Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Flipping the bird is vulgar but hurts no one. Throwing things at the players is violent, crosses a line and breaks the stadium rules. Difference.

Players often taunt the fans. That's part of the game. If you had won the fans would've taken it differently. It boils down to nothing more than Rapids fans being sore losers, including that they reported Kyle and Nat.

You know they didn't do anything worth a fine. I doubt it'll come to that.

4. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    In a later game (I think in 2007 before Kreis became coach), Beckerman taunted RSL fans in Rice Eccles. Threw out a "**** you!", if I remember correctly, after scoring. It might have been after the goal Kyle scored on a rebound from the indirect FK the ref awarded for a backpass on a whiffed Jack Stewart clearance just outside the box.

(I remember this because it was really only a few weeks before he switched teams, and this particular incident was fresh and made some wonder whether Kyle would really want to be an RSL player. I'm not creepy)

I doubt he was punished, though.

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, my bad. Going away again.

(Though my point was that I wasn't going to debate in defending the Rapids fans, they were wrong, period.)

6. mr. slick

mr. slick Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Section 26
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were. There's no debate. And often RSL fans are just as bad. I hope you keep us posted if you hear anything further about this.

7. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Ok - IF Borchers and Beckerman did the same thing they should get the same punishment...

From first hand experience - I saw it. This is what Mastroeni/Gargan did:

- After the game was over they ran the opposite direction of the exit towards the general stands.
    - They then began to taunt the crowd for 2-3 minutes. Eventually this escalated to obscene gestures where Mastroeni took off his shirt, stuffed it in the crotch of his shorts, and continued to taunt the crowd for 2-3 more minutes. Total time 4-5 (maybe 6) minutes of obscene taunting mostly from Mastroeni but Gargan was standing next to him trying to be as creative but couldn't come up with anything...

What stopped the behavior? When RSL players / Checketts started to go and confront them. Gargan/Mastroeni did this in front of the center-west stands (far from the players exit) where there are general admission fans who didn't do anything to provoke them other than boo them.

-----

Is this what Beckerman/Borchers allegedly did? 5-6 minutes of obscene taunting?

Or... is it that Beckerman, while standing next to the supporters section, while getting streamers thrown at him pointed at his scudetto badge and gloated? And that Borchers allegedly flipped someone off after stuff was being thrown at them?

This doesn't seem like the same thing as Mastroeni taunting general fans with obscene gestures for 4-6 minutes. People started throwing stuff after he got obscene.

Personally, I think had Mastroeni done it in front of the Supporters he would have gotten hit by A LOT of thrown objects. Had he done it in Europe/South America there would have been a riot.

Pointing at your winners badge is not in the same league as stuffing your jersey down your shorts and making obscene gestures. Not even close.

8. rabble-rabble

rabble-rabble Member

Jul 26, 2004
    West Jordan, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, if everyone acted like a gentleman out there all of the time, it wouldn't be a rivalry!

9. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Sure there would. Rivalries aren't created by bad behaviour (although that can raise the rancor of the rivalry). Rivalries are created by competition.

Besides, there's a lot of ground between acting like a gentleman vs stoking a rivalry vs inciting a crowd.

I don't have a problem with Mastroeni or Borchers flipping someone off that was harrassing you, but players have to know there is a line you can't cross... just like fans need to know the same thing.

If they don't, things can get out of hand very quickly.

10. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would rather have confetti and streamers thrown at me that have somebody flip the bird......just sayin'

Now why did they ban the confetti at the Dick again?

11. RealSandy

RealSandy Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sandy
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hustedt is my neighbor. I don't really care for him as a person, unless he has matured quite a bit in the last year or two. Hustedt practiced a couple times with the team when he was in high school. The team did this with several kids. Out of all the kids that practiced with RSL, he was the most arrogant and least skilled according to a good number of RSL players at the time. I don' foresee him joining the team any time soon.

12. Battler

Battler Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Not to pile on, but I will anyways. The situation with Braun doesn't really seem like a situation at all. He is not playing for us because he couldn't cut it for our team; not because he slipped under our radar. Good for him that he landed at Chivas, but no love lost by him not being in an RSL kit.

13. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just curious, But did the dick not ban all drums for the last match resulting in La Barra Real not traveling to Denver? Funny how last night I saw drums at the dick. Sad that a team would make special rules to keep opposing fans from supporting traveling teams. Bottom line: Rapids suck!!

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, at the beginning of the season the Rapids set a rule that all instruments and large banners would have to be delivered to security 24 hours before each game. That applies to all SG's, both home and away. They also agreed to store the Pid Army/BSG drums and banners at the stadium so the fans didn't have to drop them off before every game.

There were no new bans put into place before your game, it was the same rules all SG's have been operating under all season. Yes, it's a crappy rule but no, it wasn't done just to screw RSL fans.

15. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda shitty if your traveling to a match and don't have 24 hours. Thanks for the info.

16. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that pretty much describes the organization. They obviously only put those rules into place so that opposing fans would have a minimal practice. They are just robbing their owns of fun experiences.

17. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    What is the logic for this?

18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that was the high school version of Hustedt. Believe me, I thought he was an arrogant POS at times too. In fact, he trained with the older ODP and played for the older Sparta (both my ages) because he didnt quite get along with the guys his own age. With ODP he was one of the best players for Region IV for his age, which says a lot considering that so cal is in the same region.

After a few years of college, though, he seems to have matured quite a bit. I played some indoor with him this past winter (wow has time flown by) and he not only matured a lot but worked on the weaker parts of his game.

Now he has the confidence to go down the wing and control the ball. A kind of player that I think could fit into our system. He moved from striker for Cal Poly to outside mid, which shows his improvement in those weaker areas. The kid is still tremendous at finding the net.

Long story short, he has matured and has been getting looks from MLS clubs. I think RSL should at least try, the kid went to the high school down the street from the RioT... thats a pretty cool story

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its the Rapids, you think they're using logic?

Mainly I think it was done so that we would drop 90% of the gear off the day before the home opener and let them store it, then they wouldn't have to worry about dealing with checking it out the rest of the season. One day spent looking at all the stuff instead of having to worry about it on every gameday.

20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what exactly do they do when they "check the gear"?
    Each game the guys in LBR have their stuff checked as they come in... nothing bad happens there.

I think your FO is being a bit overly cautious. Doing this kills potential atmosphere. Its a miracle, knowing these rules, that you guys have those terraces

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure, knowing the Rapids, they're looking to make sure nothing was hidden in the drums and that the messages on the banners are appropriate for the "family-friendly" audience the Rapids claim to want.

Really, more than anything, the rule is about not having to pay to have extra security and gate attendants available pre-game to check the gear as it comes in each game. For most games at the Dick this year (the almost sell-out of your game being the one of a couple exceptions) they've only opened and manned 4 of the 8 gates into the stadium, plus the Cantina. Instead they check the vast majority of it once before the season and anything extra has to be dropped off 24 hours before the game time, which for 90% of the games puts it in the standard 9-5 M-F work week.

When you're trying to figure out why the Rapids did something, figure out how it saves them money, that's usually the reason.

22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big week for RSL. CCL on the line, essentially, as I think FCD could beat either of the other 2 teams (especially since they would host Seattle).

Injury report?
    Is Sabo good?
    PJ?
    Gonzo?
    Johnson will start, guarantee it

Who will replace Javi in the middle?
    Does JK go with Will-KB-Andy-Ned or does he put Warner in and drop either Ned or Andy?

23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember CCL?
    Yeah, we just drew the Crew in the second round. That was best case scenario... the soccer gods are smiling on us this week

from RSL FB:
    BREAKING NEWS: Real Salt Lake draws the Columbus Crew in the Quarterfinals of the CONCACAF Champions League ... starts with the away leg in C-Bus between Feb. 22-24, followed by the return leg at Rio Tinto Stadium between Mar. 1-3. Victor of the series to face winner of Deportivo Saprissa (CRC) / CD Olimpia (HON) in se...mifinals in Mar/Apr. So, whaddaya think about the draw?

So, obviously, the other good news is that we wont face a Mexican opponent til (potentially) the final. It will be a Mexico v other nation final, pretty crazy

http://www.concacaf.com/page/CL/NewsDetail/0,,12813~2204331,00.html

24. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We "drew" them, eh? I find it very odd that no Mexican or Central American team is going to have to travel to SLC or Columbus in February. :mad: Not that I'm into conspiracies or anything....

25. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Mexican sides would rather face a pre-season squad (as RSL and CBus will be) in cold weather than have to play another Mexican squad...

Also, having to kill each other off (Mexican Squads) in the 2 rounds prior to the final is a blessing for all of the other teams.