News: RSL In-Season News Thread 2010, Part 2

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that part really irritates me, as well.
    I get they want people to move to the side with the cameras, and are giving incentives to do so... but the individual ticket prices shouldnt see that much of a jump, especially in the current economic environment.

We will see tons of promotions next year... hell, it might be better to wait to buy season tickets again. I got mine for half price this year, after all

2. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They'll try to get people to buy early with a small discount ($22 vs. $25). And there is always the chicken corner :)

It would be very interesting to know of the 20k on a sold out night, how many attending actually paid face value of the ticket in addition to Season Ticket Holders.

I'm guessing well over 50% come in through group sales, youth soccer vouchers, or other promotions - Maybe that's the answer here. If the percentage of fans that pay 'face value' is extremely low maybe it doesn't matter if you raise the lowest prices. But I have to think there would be at least a few thousand every week that buy at full price?

3. Steve H.

Steve H. Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Wouldn't it be easier to move the cameras than the fans?

Seriously, during much of the season the east side is just too damn hot for at least the first half of the game. It makes sense to me to just move the cameras during that part of the season, so they can focus on all those people enjoying the shade of the west side.

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    get out of here with your logic!

The seats on the west side are always going to be more expensive, though, considering they ar the "club seats" and such. I think having the cameras look that way would be bad as it gives not only a false sense of the attendance, most of the time, but makes our stadium look much smaller.

5. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take your home movie camera, film something into the sun, and then watch it. You'll understand why every outdoor sport films with the sun behind the camera.

6. Steve H.

Steve H. Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Well, I was thinking the cameras would be pointed down at the field, and not straight up at the sky, but what do I know?

7. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    There will still be an effect of the sun shining on the lens (even at an angle).

Also, there are more seats on the East side and "looks better" on TV when they're full than the West.

Finally, is there anything more than speculation that the team is trying to move people to the East side? Or is that just a conclusion drawn from the pattern of price increases?

8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For any of you that possibly caught it, the Cal Poly v UC Santa Barbara game last night was a pretty good one http://www.gopoly.com/index.php?p=sports&tab=news&id=29911&article_id=104863 (it was on FSC). The reason I post this here is because on Cal Poly is Jordan High product Jake Hustedt. I played with him for a couple years back in youth club ball and always thought he could turn into something special. His work rate is tremendous and he has the ability to create something out of nothing.

For those of you that are going to the town hall meetings (which there are only 2 left, I believe) make sure to ask Garth about his scouting and if local products, like Hustedt, are on his radar.

Hustedt supposedly has a trial potentially lined up with the Chicago Fire... I would hate for it to be another situation like Braun.

9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its pretty obvious from these price changes, and multiple promotions in the past, that they want to get people in those seats on the east side. The only reason that anybody can really come up with, is to have them in the game shots.

10. smackdowntay

smackdowntay Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was asked last night actually. We all took a blood oath and signed our names to never speak of it outside of the townhall meetings, but.... meh. Garth said that it is now mandated that every MLS team have a youth system to grow local talent. As we all know that our system is down in Arizona and its not only a camp, its a school. So these kids are going to about 4 hours of school a day, then playing soccer for the remainder of the day (lucky kids). Its the only on in the USA besides the US Soccer one in Florida. It covers all of New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, etc... Each team will now be able to submit 10 player discoveries each year from this camp. Not only will the RSL camp have all this going on, but they will be able to participate in the Super Y League and the U 16 league, and then eventually go up to the U 18 (I think I have that right, someone correct me if Im wrong, can't remember everything he said). Pretty much what Im getting at, is that the objective and goal is to have something implemented and in place so that the Justin Brauns dont get away from us anymore. Garth also said that they meet with the La Liga coaches from around the valley and ask for their best talent to come and meet with the team and train, etc... I was very impressed with what he described. Bill Manning said that this was something that he was pushing heavily for our team to do. Once again, RSL quietly paving the way in brilliance for the league.

11. canyonvue

canyonvue Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    We're on the east side, in the middle. We used to have tickets on the east side, closer to the north end. If they want more people on the east side, they need to think about extending the roof the sun isn't blaring in our eyes for most of the first half.

12. canyonvue

canyonvue Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    That news from the town hall is often.

RSL will pave the way for the league, including internationally, and pave the way for our club to stay competitive against spendy teams.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not going to start or engage in a debate on this topic. What the Rapids fans in the Terraces did was wrong. But I thought you guys would want to know that the players (from what I've heard, Borchers and Beckerman) that incited the fans have been reported to the league's Front Office for possible disciplinary action.

http://www.bulldogsupporters.com/news/article.php?newsID=11

Again, feel free to comment how you wish, I'm not getting involved in the debate.

14. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    What is La Liga? A Hispanic league in SL? I tried a quick internet search but couldn't find anything.

That's great that RSL is forming a connection to youth soccer in the valley. Let's not jump to the conclusion that we're the first to do so, or the first team to take youth development seriously.

We do have the residence academy, but haven't actually developed any MLS-level players yet, while other MLS teams have. They've had more time, obviously, but you can't ignore their output.

Also, I still think that RSL lucked into the residence academy. Greg Vanney wanted to start one in AZ, RSL have development rights there, and so were the obvious choice. The FO still had to recognize the awesome opportunity that it was, and make it happen, but it's not fair to give them all the credit for what looks like will be a sweet academy.

15. canyonvue

canyonvue Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I like that Borchers and Beckerman have fire. Two of the best and nicest guys on our team. Two of the best players, too. Beckerman used to heckle the fans in SLC, too. :) So glad he's on our side.

Go, Columbus!

16. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Borchers apparently flipped off a Colorado fan in their supporters section as he was leaving the field (great idea, by the way, cretins, to have away teams walk right past the "terrace"), and got a couple of beer cups thrown at him. They only really hit a Rapids player (win) though, and now they can't throw streamers or confetti for their playoff game against the Gals.

17. RedDevil013

RedDevil013 Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How quickly you forget the Pablo incident... get over your bad self already...

18. smackdowntay

smackdowntay Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats what I gathered about the La Liga here in the valley. Garth didn't really hint too much as to what that is.

19. SALTLAKEJAKE

SALTLAKEJAKE Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Sugarhood
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a point in the game that Kyle was on the sideline waiting to throw the ball into play. Some of the fans on th field level were giving him some shit and he turned to them, pointed to the Champions Crest on his jersey and smiled. I laughed.

It's a rivalry, these things happen.

20. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I don't know if you saw this article a while back:
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/rsl-roundup-missing-piece

He talks about Tony Cascio, Donny Toia, and James Rogers are potential players to be given a contract. I hope they give one to James Rogers. It will be pretty sweet to see Black Jesus on the field.

21. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    an absolutely STUPID stadium layout having opposing players walk past the bulk of the hardcore supporters, they are just asking for incidents like this. in the end, who cares, a couple beers were tossed with some streamers (and by the sounds of it RSL players escaped the showers). when batteries, vomit, piss or anything like that start flying than ill get mad. i have no idea why our players would be reported to the league FO for disciplinary action and seriously doubt that any is going to be handed down to them. if PaBLOW can escape that scrutiny for his antics than RSL players should as well.

anyways....WATCH OUT
    [​IMG]

wouldnt want you to get knocked the ******** out again.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Pablo and Checketts both get fined for their actions in that game?

23. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont think anything ever came of that altercation other than message board banter and some some news articles. i could be wrong though.

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its a rivalry game. If its just streamers and confetti (and the occaional bird) I'm fine with it.

Rather stupid to have such tight rules against Columbus in their first playoff game in some time. Give them a warning... dont kill any potential atmosphere.

Streamers seem to find the field in every other game in this league, who gives a shit

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I think Borchers and Beckerman deserve equal punishment to Pablo. If Pablo got nothing, they should get nothing, if Pablo got fined they should get fined. Seems fairly obvious, same rivalry, same general actions (inciting the crowd), same result (crowd throws crap), should be the same punishment.