News: RSL In-Season News Thread 2010, Part 2

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    points here and there change things. Yeah, we finished 3 behind, but if we pick those up who knows how things change in other games...

2. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I'm hoping in the MLS top ten we see a bit more variety instead of 1 bike, 2 volleys, and 7 long bomb clones. I would like to see more unique goals, and some with brilliant buildups as well. That being said I think when considering build up + goal Gonzos deserves to be on a top ten list too (though I wouldn't be heartbroken or anything if it wasnt.)

3. Duiz

Duiz Member

Apr 10, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking the same thing as I watched the list.

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure many have already seen this, but just in case some missed it:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLUQz0lM7MI"]YouTube - 2010 Playoff TV Spot[/ame]
    I think we have one of, if not the best marketing groups in the league

5. smackdowntay

smackdowntay Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year there was a thread that was flaming about how uncreative they were for not marketing for attendance and certain big games/friendlies. I dont think their tactics have changed, its just that the team is a whole lot better. It doesn't matter how clever the FO is if you dont have a good marketing team (IE- Dallas). That being said, I agree 15, they are using the teams success as a marketing point. The Reign of RSL.

6. keeptheslinrsl

Mar 17, 2008
    Section 26!
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there is a difference here. They found a guy that can make a good commercial. The marketing still could use some work.

7. mr. slick

mr. slick Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Section 26
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. canyonvue

canyonvue Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I agree with that Dallas writer. Don't know if I agree with Colorado being the other team in the Final. But that would be an interesting glorified RMC. And I think next time, RSL would not want to be outplayed by Colorado.

9. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    The RSL commercials are good, but the marketing still blows. I see about 1 or 2 RSL commercials a week, and they are always at 12:30 at night just before Oprah starts.

10. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
  11. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    A few points:

1. You saw them, didn't you? That's something.

2. You watch Oprah? At midnight?

3. RSL is, despite your protestations, one of the better attended teams in the league. Let's not jump all the way to "their marketing blows", even if there is room for improvement.

TV commercials are probably the least effective form of marketing an MLS team can do anyway.

12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a few bad notes (this may already be in another thread, but it should be here as well)

Will Johnson has a hammy injury and is listed as (of right now) questionable
    Paulo Junior has a groin injury, and is listead as (of right now) doubtful
    Gonzo has a foot contusion (I thought it was something else before...) and wont be in the 18 at all for Saturday.

Not a great time to have injuries, especially for guys like PJ and Will

source: http://rsltothecore.com/rslblog/?p=8105

13. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I guess I'll answer:
    1. Yeah I saw them, but who stays up that late besides me?

2. Nah I watch the show before Oprah.

3. I know they are one of the better attended teams, but that isn't necessarily because of marketing, I know I didn't get into Real because their marketing. Maybe I exaggerated a little saying it blows, but there is definately room for improvement. I had a friend who had always wanted to go to a Real game, but just simply wasn't reminded enough so it would slip his mind. It wasn't until I invited him that he came.

Is there proof that TV commercials are the least effective form of marketing? Again even if they don't convince people who aren't soccer fans to go they are still a good reminder for the people who have gone to games, enjoyed them, but simply need a reminder that there is a game that weekend.

On a seperate note what is worse probable or doubtful?

14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    probable > doubtful

If you are listed as probable, you will probably play
    If you are listed as doubtful, your chances of playing are in doubt

with that said, it is the beginning/middle of the week, so take each of those "listings" with a grain of salt. They can go either way very quickly

15. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    They might not be the least effective -- it wouldn't surprise me if they were -- but they almost certainly rank really low on the "effectiveness per dollar spent".

Especially for most sports teams which get their advertising done for them by newspapers.

I didn't mean to attack you or anything, I just wanted to point out that marketing is a lot more than TV commercials. Your friend never came to a game until you brought him along. I think that would be considered a marketing success in a lot of peoples' eyes, especially since word-of-mouth is so much more likely to lead to new repeat customers.

Anyway, I have no idea if RSL is good marketing well, except that the stadium seems to be pretty full more often than not. That tv spot was pretty sweet though.

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the best marketing is word of mouth (what pattyscow did). Its practically free, its typically from a "reliable" source (to the person who recieves it, at least), and its limits are not an age group/gender or anything like that.

Also, the power of facebook is proving to be a great thing. Look at how many fans teams with higher attendances tend to have... though it could be argued either one came from the other

17. dkm1469

dkm1469 Member

May 5, 2008
    Ogden, UT
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't make it tonight, out of town, but I will go on the 3d. They have pretty much ripped the enthusiam out of me. My seats in sec. 14 are $200 higher than the other corner seats!!!! Really?? Am I going to get a massage during the game? Free booze?? After having had season tickets since the beginning, sitting through all those horrible years and kept coming back, this is one helluva thank you.

Once someone f#*k$ me over I'm done with them. Raise the price some I could see, but $200 hugging bucks??? Sure if I pay 75 squares and stand on my head for 3 years and genuflect at the games I can keep it what it was. But every other corner seat is different. And seats two sections over are the same price??

Sorry for bitching, but what a hose job. Go Jazz????:mad:.

18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if you lock into your seats in section 14 for 3 years, you get the price of them for this past season...

also, if every corner is the same, why dont you just move to a different corner? They want people on the side with the cameras (well for MLS games at least) and this is their way of doing it. It actually makes sense. It may not make some happy (my seats are in 14 as well) but it is what it is

19. SpiffCoug

SpiffCoug Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Orem, Ut
    I was in 14 (row N) this year. We're moving to 36 for next year. Not a fan of the $200 increase.

20. canyonvue

canyonvue Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Maybe someone here knows, when will tickets be available for Toronto. Are they on Ticketmaster?

I'm thinking of going. Not saying that RSL will for sure be there, but it'd be nice if they were.;)

21. dkm1469

dkm1469 Member

May 5, 2008
    Ogden, UT
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm impressed yoiu are so dedicated and forgiving, I'm not. One seat will be gone after next year for two years. Yeah, I can sit next to an empty seat for two years. This is bogus, $100 I can see, $200 is bald assed greed.

I can sit in the family section, the colonel's corner, get a job @ Zion's bank... Yeah, sure. You work in the front office? You sound as logical as they do.

Something is always better than nothing, which is what they are going to get from me.

22. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually don't think it's greed - I think in reality it's a bit of incompetence in regards to ticket pricing strategy. This will play out next year when they have to change policy mid-season for gate prices (or offer major discounts) and end up missing their 2011 season ticket goals.

They lowered the price for many season ticket holders who actually were willing to pay 'more' money for their seats. The rest of the more reasonable priced seats they're trying to shift to the East side for television.

The fact that the North End and East Sidelines will have the same pricing sked for 2011 is just wrong.

Personally, I think this is a temporary move. The market will show next year the mistake they've made. They're overpricing the lowest gate price for non-season ticket holders - It's a 67% price increase from $15 to $25. No way that holds (hell, the Jazz can't even come close to holding $25 as a cheap seat).... and they're taking less money from many of their hard core fans that 'would' pay more.

And then random sections throughout the stadium (your situation), upper deck, really get steep increases that shows they don't want people sitting there. It is perplexing to say the least. But clearly the many fans who saw their ticket prices go down will be very pleased with this.

23. Stella FC

Stella FC Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Boone, NC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got mine in the mail yesterday :D I went thru the Visa Cardholder prebuy, not sure if it still going on or not though. We whave been planing on going regardless and decided to just jump on the offer due to the smaller size of BMO (compared to Seattle).

24. canyonvue

canyonvue Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Congrats! I was going to jump on that, but didn't.:(

25. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    They are raising the lowest price tickets $10? That's a huge mistake. I already know a ton of people who complain about tickets being overpriced anyway.