News: RSL In-Season News Thread 2010, Part 2

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duiz

Duiz Member

Apr 10, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kreis has grown up a lot more as a coach over the last couple of years, and it is undeniable. The man was a freaking player just before he became coach. He was going to make rookie mistakes, and he has made. It is a combination of scouting (e.g. Yura, Findley, Olave, Morales), good team philosophies (defense first, team is the star, etc.), and having time to gel have come to show that patience in Kreis has paid off.

I feel born again in Kreis.

2. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good post Duiz. Tactics really have solidified, as have the players, and as has the depth. It's kind of all come together at the same time, which is what you have to have to win Cups.

3. ShaggyReAL

ShaggyReAL Awesome is my middle name

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your basically calling JK an idiot then.:D

I wouldn't have any worries about him doing that.

But what if by then MLS was just as good as the international leagues? :p

4. ShaggyReAL

ShaggyReAL Awesome is my middle name

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A born-again Kreistian! I like it.....

5. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way - go back and watch some tape.... go back and listen to Jason's quotes from those early road games.

We played a completely different style. We hung back, packed it in and countered. The team was playing to draw and would often lose.

This year, the team has taken a completely different strategy on the road. We control the run of play at least 50% of the road games. We play to win, and we often draw.

Maybe a big part of that transition is related to winning the cup and confidence. But both Bill and Garth said a top priority of this team is improvement on the road. They've done it this year.... The tactics and style of play have changed considerably for most road games. And Jason has helped drive that change.

6. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there is NO DOUBT that jason made a lot of mistakes in his first 1+ of coaching. remember all the fines and penalties he got in his first season? wasnt he even suspended a couple times, then used a radio from the booth and got fined even more? ya, there were definitely several debacles that werent even related to on field stuff.

he's grown up big time and im glad the higher ups in this organization arent like some of the posters on this board (and this includes me at times), if they were we probably would be a shitty team without a good coach and GM.

7. Duiz

Duiz Member

Apr 10, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I won't lie. I did want him gone at some point. I am glad I wasn't in charge of making that decision.

8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best post from that thread: fire Kreis, hire CURT ONALFO! :eek:

:)

9. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    I interviewed him after every road loss - don't need to listen to the tapes. What you are talking about has everything to do with the evolution of the players, not the coach. Trust me, when you talked to him at the start of 2009 he was trying to get them to play the exact style of soccer that they are currently playing. They suffered from a lack of confidence on the road. Remarkable turnaround, but it has nothing to do with Kreis' changing things.

At some point during the '09 season he finally decided to try to play for a draw on the road, because nothing else was working. But that's never been his philosophy or approach to road games.

Kyle Beckerman has talked about this, and has said that it's been a transformation in the players. He said that losing on the road was contagious, and now winning seems to be contagious.

10. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, the regular season ends. RSL finishes in lackluster fashion, sleepwalking through a game and enjoying the miracle finish to get the draw.

Many records by this team. Allowing 20 goals on the regular season means they allowed the fewest of any team in history. The +25 goal differential is also the best of any team in history (LA would need to win 8:0 to catch us on GD). Teams with these kinds of records have tended to take care of business in the playoffs, too.

The unbeaten streak continued (as has the W,D,W,D,W,D form) now to 14 games.

56 points! Will it be enough for the SS? LA merely needs a draw to keep first place.

[​IMG]

11. Duiz

Duiz Member

Apr 10, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing that graph have its Y-axis expanded so many times this season has made me very happy!

Now, it is on to Dallas!

12. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    absolutely incredible, what this team has accomplished (whether or not it wins the SS) is so awesome. it hasnt lost a game since the 15th game of the season, a full half season without losing a game. takes a while for that to sink in. 16 points better than any season prior, more than 5 wins. looking at this graph brings an incredibly large smile to my face.

13. Steve H.

Steve H. Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Not exactly. But it is the best in 10 years. (A few teams exceeded that number in 2000 and before.)

14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great regular season, lets top it off with a fantastic post season.

I was thinking about how we could qualify for the next seasons CCL and came up with this. If I am wrong, someone please let me know, but I think it is right...

If any team from the western conference finals, save dallas, makes the championship game we qualify.

if we go to the championship game we automatically qualifgy (regardless of result)
    LA is already in - SS. So if they were to go to the championship game it would move us up as we placed second overall.
    Seattle already is in, as well, with the USOC. So if they go, I believe (and this is the area I might be wrong at) we get their spot.

So, if we beat FCD in the first round, we qualify... correct?

15. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not to toot my own horn or anything (especially since we didnt win the SS), but damn im good. pattern held true all the way through the end of the season, what an incredible run of form:

D,W,D,W,D,W,D,W,D,W,D then D,W,D

i hope it holds true all the way through the MLS Cup:
    @Dallas: D
    Dallas: W for advancement to the western conference finals

either @LAG or home to seattle: D (with us having the decidedly large advantage in a pk shootout) advancing to the MLS Cup, since pk shootouts technically are considered a tie no matter who wins.

MLS Cup: W

knock on wood to counter the jinx.

16. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thou art correctamundo.

17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UP, why would we have 2 D's in a row?
    It would go, if it stays the same:

@ FCD - W
    vs FCD - D (advance)
    @ LA/vs Sea - W (advance)
    vs EC Winner - D (penalties.... I like our chances)

18. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya, good call, definitely not awake yet this morning.

19. keeptheslinrsl

Mar 17, 2008
    Section 26!
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why do americans find the bike so incredible? dont get me wrong, great finish... but almost all the other goals are of better quality in my opinion.

Also, how did Javi's free kick in the first game not make it? That thing is in the commercials for MLS when its on ESPN...

21. mr. slick

mr. slick Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Section 26
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had forgotten about that beauty of a strike from Javi. And I noticed none of those came against RSL. What an awesome season.

22. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    No Grabavoy goal? For shame.

23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, thats bull shit
    that thing was a beauty
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPLM94mrUUg"]YouTube - Week 17 Goal of the Week Nominee: Ned Grabavoy[/ame]
    (the 2 points we lost in this game, really really REALLY hurt, Nicky)

how this one isnt in there somehow is retarded as well (too much love for seattle)
    4:00
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxboSFwN3sM"]YouTube - Real Salt Lake 3 x 0 San Jose Earthquakes - Game Highlights - 03/27/10 - [WEEK 1 - 2010 SEASON][/ame]

24. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    ESPN sure does like those outside shots.

25. Christoph

Christoph Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Farm Country
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States