RSL In-Season News, Part Six (The Adventure Continues . . .)

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go on... :D

2. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct. And which games produce the highest attendance? Chicago, LA, and Chivas.

3. ajr_RSL

ajr_RSL Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Mesa, Az
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    um... okay... well he... he was with some trannys... um thats all...

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is what i was referring to.
    They were "hookers" that he somehow mistaken to not be trannys until they got into his room...
    yeah, weird

5. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you want to bring someone of that intellect to our team? How do you not notice that the hooker is a tranny? He must have been really wasted. "Hmm, you have the cheek bones of a man, but look like a girl. Wanna come back to my place to play some Monopoly?" Honestly...

6. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vuoso is really awesome when he has somebody awesome next to him, like a Luduena (which would be the best DP ever in my opinion, though not Mexican). Vuoso is fantastic, but I just don't think he'd be worth DP money at this point. Now if they chance the cap and remove the DP from the cap, sure, but as is, no

7. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake

Great points. Vuoso, with a great first touch, speed and skill, teamed with Javi. That would be fun to watch.

Luduena is a fantastic player and would probably serve the ball to the good DR.s head all game every game.

8. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah seriously, forget Mexicans, Luduena would = wins, and lots of them. Santos without Luduena = average to below average. Santos with Luduena = Champions.

9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    after you see the guy rip one into the back of the net you'll just forget about it

10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how exactly would RSL be able to get him?

11. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DP dude. If Santos Laguna, which is far from the wealthiest Mexican club can afford him, I'm sure he could POSSIBLY be lured by RSL. Why the guy isn't playing for River or Boca or in Europe amazes me. Perhaps he just likes Torreon.

12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he likes Torreon then he will LOVE Salt Lake...

13. ajr_RSL

ajr_RSL Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Mesa, Az
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

che loves his flat tops

14. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, don't think I would. I've been watching him score goals (and injure his knee) since his debut in the World Cup (1994 if I remember right). While it is true that he is an amazing player, how he acts off the field severely affects team image. Don't believe me? Look at Kobe Bryant. The guy even went so far as changing his jersey number to improve his image, and his teams image. I would also question how well Ronaldo's star power would get along with Jason and Garth's team mentallity.

15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With that arguement there is no DP that would fit into our system. How many big time players are going to come in to a small MLS team and not want to be the star of the show?

16. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the more reason I think we should see if we can trade our DP spot for the time being.

17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For money or personel?

18. Bthing

Bthing Member

Jul 25, 2007
    This creates an interesting discussion.

History has shown that a DP does not equal success on the field, yet success in the stands.

What would we rather have?

What would our FO rather have?

Or could we find that "special" DP that could help us attain both?

19. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either or both. We have now had the DP spot for two years and have not used it. It was a wasted resource.

20. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they could make it into a bobble-head and put it on Garth's desk. Then it would be entertaining, not a waste. :D

[​IMG]

21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a business, however fans arent going to come out to watch crap soccer just cuz there is a big name guy on the team... or at least you would think that.
    I say we sell the DP spot, get some money and maybe a player or two that would contribute to our team mentality. What team to trade with is another question...

22. bcstanding

bcstanding New Member

Jan 31, 2007
    RioT Section 26!
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, games don't sell out even if they feature an all-offense, no-defense, tied for 2nd to last place team...

23. RSLFooty

RSLFooty New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Salt Lake City
  24. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don;t forget what happened with the YI slots. They were not worth a whole lot so we traded and the rules were changed so the YIs became SIs. The SIs are worth something so the trade(s) now look really bad, but they didn't look too bad when they happened.

The way the DP rule is now a DP slot is not worth much unless a team that traded their slot away wants to sign a DP. For the 1st DP $415,000 counts to the cap. Thus if a team has two DPs $830,000 will be charged to the cap. If a club wants to build a team around a DP they have enough cap to do it well, if they want to build a team around two DPs they don't have enough cap space to do it.

So our DP slot isn't worth much. But what will happen if some of the proposed change to the DP rule are accepted? If a second DP has $0 count against the cap then the value of a DP slot will go up and we are best advised to wait before trading away the DP slot. But there is also a proposal to give every team a second DP slot. In that case our slot is worth even less.

In short, I don't think it is a good idea to even consider trading it away because we have no idea what it is wort or if it will be worth more in the future.

No matter how the rules shake out, it would be most unwise to trade a DP slot unless it temporary for a single seaon.

25. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get me wrong Dadof6. I would never want to do what we did with our YI spots. If we trade our DP spot, I think we should only trade it for a year or two at most.