RSL In-Season News, Part Six (The Adventure Continues . . .)

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp992751

jp992751 Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Logan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think any of us would argue Andy over Mathis but what we do get tired of is the "Mathis is a waste" "ONly reason he plays is because Kries is his friend". Mathis has not been a waste. He hasn't been a star but he isn't being asked to. Last game he provided 2 great scoring chances that were not put away by Movsisyan. I can count at least 1 great pass in evry game Mathis has played this year where he could have gotten an assit if we had forewards who were as deadly as Donovan, Emilio, and the likes, but we don't, we have Yura who is improving, Findley who has no first touch to save his life, Doc who is proving to be a set up man rather than a scorer and Espy who is more likely to score with the doctor than on the pitch. I am not arguing that Mathis is startig 11 qulity, but has been solid sub coming off the bench. His lack of statistics is in large part to do with our ineficiany to put a ball in the back of the net. He would easily have 4 or 5 assits alredy if this was the case. Then again if this was the case Morales would have how many?

2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a fan of Andy this season, but 0 goals and 2 assists is the comparative awesomeness we're arguing about.

3. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Here's where some more complete stats for soccer games would be great: what is RSL's possession percentage when Andy is on the pitch? I'd be willing to bet it's 5-10 percentage points higher than when he's not. Not that possession percentage is as important as goals/assists. But it would be nice to know.

4. TapocoL

TapocoL Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think everyone would be so annoyed by my stats, if I had enough time to do possession percentages as well. :)

5. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    I agree with this almost completely. I was okay with the Mathis signing. I have been okay with him coming in as a late game sub (partly because with Dema and Sturgis out we haven't had alot of options). However, I am still a little puzzled by his start in San Jose.

6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mathis has not been "solid" when coming off the bench. At Houston and home against Chivas are prime examples of him not being the type of player this team needs.

7. jp992751

jp992751 Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Logan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know the more you post about mathis 15 to 32, as with all these other Anti_mathis supporters, it sounds less like a real analysis of how Mathis has effected the team and more like just a personal grudge.
    Would you care to expound on how he was not solid in these two games? I recall an amazing pass agianst chivas that threaded two defenders ended up right at the feet of Yura who was free to goal but with a horrible first touch lost the ball which could have been a game winner. Agisnt Houston I can't give a remark but then agian did anyone shine against them?

If we are comparing players Mathis has been just as effective as almost every player on the team with the exception of Morales, Yura, and Espy. And this idiotic notion that it is Mathis' fault that the team is suddenly performing below standards is the stupidist thing I have read on BS. Prove it, it could also be on Russel, or Johnson, or the week of no practice or a million other things. Again growing tired of everyones personal grudges agaisnt Mathis. When he is causing this team to lose and you can give examples then I will listen and agree that he might not be a positve to this team, but for now none of you can and can only conjure up personal sentiments to critizize him.

END RANT

8. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Interesting article on the stadium in the New York Times. Especially interesting comments from Manning about a DP. Similar to Checkett's comments on tv earlier this year, except for the part about a Mexican international:

I wonder if they have a player (or players) on their radar screen?

9. ajr_RSL

ajr_RSL Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Mesa, Az
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. beaveman

beaveman New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Mapleton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard Borghetti was practicing/trying out with the team a few months back...

11. Dickov Del Horno

Dickov Del Horno New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    That is just a weird comment. I agree... to identify the national origin of a potential player really feels like a back-handed way of saying that something is in the works.

12. Bthing

Bthing Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Borgetti? No, he is getting older
    Blanco? No.
    Nery Castillo? He is kind of on the Outs with Man City.

What other Mexican International could be persuaded to come here?

Dos Santos? No

13. TapocoL

TapocoL Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am thinking our DP would have to be a forward. So, here are some more established forwards:

Adolfo Bautista
    Vicente Vuoso (Only 1 cap though)
    Francisco Fonseca

14. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How old is he? I know we found out that he wanted a lot of money for this year but maybe his price tag will come down at the end of the year. Does he still have a good year or two in his legs?

15. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be paying DP money to any of those 3 but Bautista.

16. Maybe the statement is there to put out feelers. Maybe an agent of a Mexican player who is secretly dying to play in the USA will read that and get his talent up here. Not a bad tactic.

17. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another interesting part of that NYT article.
    I always like to see data that supports the attention MLS has. Whether it be knocking on the door of being in the top 10 leagues in the world in attendance to top three in web buzz, it suggests a league that has a bright future.

Now, some would say that the low positive buzz is a problem, but the old saw is true, "It doesn't matter what they say, as long as they are talking about you."

18. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake

El Bofo and Kikin are on the downsides of their careers. Kikin has not been the same since he left la maquina for Benfica. That lasted about 6 months I think.

El Bofo was much better before he left Chivas Gua. and headed to Jaguares.

Matias Vicente Vuoso, Chaco Gimenez, Pablo Zeballos, Miguel Sabah and a host of others would be much better choices than El Bofo and Kikin, even though I would love to see what the old Kikin could do for RSL.

Pablo Zeballos is a great young forward for Cruz Azul who could be a great player and maybe not even DP level for RSL.

Vuoso is wicked fast.

Chaco is tough, mean and cheap. Flops a little to much for me.

Sabah is a sneaky and steady forward.

Overall I would take Vuoso or Zeballos over anyone else I can think of right now.

19. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's probably not a very PC thing to say, but my impressions of Mexican players are that they are major-league whiners and divers. This could be because of the US-Mexican rivalry and exposure to Mexican players in the MLS.

Given what I've seen of Argentine players and RSL's experiences with them, maybe we should be down in Buenos Aries looking around for the next Maradona/Bastituta/Hernan Crespo (of course, if we found hiim, he probably go play in Europa). Just a thought......

20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that we should not look only for a mexican superstar but rather a brazilian or argentine superstar that is old... Ronaldo is old but the guy proved at Milan last year that he can still play. Just a thought (i know the story of the "hookers" so no need to bring it up)

21. Four words: BUTTS IN THE SEATS.

That is the only reason RSLFO would go after a Mexican player. Look what happens every time a Mexican team or an MLS team with Mexican ties comes to town, our stadium fills up. Imagine if all those fans would come on a regular basis and support their favorite Mexican player.

Face it boys, we're going to get a Mexican player. Period.

22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didnt realize David Beckham was mexican...

23. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed it for you.

You're right, but Blanco is Mexican. Look what he has done for the Fire at home and away games. Honestly, does everything have to tie back to Golden Balls? We don't need a quick fix superstar. We could use a DP that won't alter the team chemistry, but one isn't needed. Most of the league DP's have shown that they won't fix the problem. Dulio Davino, Abel Xavier, etc.
    DP's can, however, bring more fans to games. If that is what RSL is looking for, a Mexican star is the only way to go. Sure, Ronaldo would bring in lots of soccer fans, but I would argue that a well known Mexican star would bring more. Just take a look at Utah's demographics. That should be a key indicator.

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think any forward with a notable past would sell seats here.
    Yes a Mexican would attract a big crowd, but you also have to remember that we only have 20000 seats to fill now, not 45000

25. ajr_RSL

ajr_RSL Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Mesa, Az
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

what about the trannys, can we bring that up?