RSL In-Season News, Part Six (The Adventure Continues . . .)

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    +1

2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am saying that he sholud not be considered becuase his arguement for being in would be "well if you take out the biggest part of the season for us, i didnt pretty well for my team the rest of the year. Yeah on the road we sucked, we dropped far too many points at home, and in big games we have habitually come short... But i did well during the rest of the season."

3. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    After all is said and done, the only thing that matters is results.

If RSL fails to make the playoffs this season then RSL has failed.

4. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Your opinion not mine, but I do understand where you are coming from. It would definitely be a disappointment to all.

5. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, why then is Preki on the list? His team hasn't fared any better than RSL, and they given up 3 games at home, and 7 on the road. They have won one more game than RSL has, but RSL has more ties. RSL also has a better goal differential. I'm not really seeing your reasoning for Preki deserving the COY nomination over Jason. You say logic and reason don't belong in BS, and yet your arguments are as slippery sloped as they come. The fact is, Jason has fielded a better team, trained a better team, and handled his misfortunes and injuries better. He deserves the nomination over Preki. Preki deserved it last year for turning around the Chivas, but he did that after being trained how to coach by Bradley. Jason did it without anyone holding his hand before he got the job. Now, again, why does Preki deserve it over Jason?

6. Stella FC

Stella FC Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Boone, NC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep in mind that the names that are on the list at MLSNET.com are not nominations....just the way their "experts" see them stacking up so far. So, take the list for what it is....just someones guess at this point.

7. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand, I read the fine print on the MLSNET page. I was merely providing a counterpoint to 15 to 32's rebuttal on why Preki is a better choice than Jason for a nomination. It is all speculation, but should not the previous season be included when determining what the coach has done for the team this year? If so, I'd say Schmid, Yallop, and Kreis should be on the top of the list (in that respective order). Kinnear took a champion team and maintained it. Nicol did the same. Preki took a team that had the second best record in the league, ran them into the ground, and then brought them back. How does that qualify any of those 3 for COY? If that stance is maintained, then I'd say John Carver deserves a nomination for whining, making excuses, and failing. Gary Smith deserves a nod for turning around a failing Colorado team. And, Arena deserves a nod simply because he is Arena. :D

8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What Preki has achieved has been accomplished largely with bailing wire, twine, and people he pulled out of the stands to play. With all that has transpired with that team, I have no problem putting him among those putting in the best coaching jobs this year.

9. Stella FC

Stella FC Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Boone, NC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I wouldn't worry about Arena...He'll be a lock for the newly announced "Comeback Coach Whose Team is Shite and Won't Make The Playoffs of the Year".
    Anyhow, there shouldn't be too much discussion on this anyway, Sigi should all but be a lock for COY this season.

10. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Preki has done a good job with what he has been dealt.

11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and that is exactly why i think he deserves the nod over Jason.
    And the one big letdown Jason has is that he brought freakin Mathis back to the team... All awards go out the window with that move in my opinion

12. poptart6767

poptart6767 Member

Apr 23, 2007
    Logan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think frank yallop should be coach of the year if San Jose makes it into the playoffs.

13. Joffray

Joffray Member

May 24, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I 2nd that. What a turnaround since the beginning of this season.

14. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    TLWLLTWLLWTWTWLTWTWLLWTLL

RSL has yet to win two league games in a row this season.

Heck, RSL hasn't even drawn two games in a row.

But they have lost 2 games in a row on 4 different occasions.

RSL's record kind of looks like a bell curve.

15. neophyte

neophyte Member

Sep 15, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    And now you can add a W on the end of that string, and hopefully a few more.

16. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back in old Golden Eagles Hockey days (I think it was the last year that they wore Green and Gold jerseys), the Golden Eagles won the Turner Cup without winning more than 2 games in a row all season, so using a statistic like that as a harbringer of future success doesn't seem to be valid.

On the other hand, the New England Patriots won 19 games in a row (or was it 18?) and lost the Super Bowl, so the number of games won in a row or lost in a row doesn't always seem to match future performance.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. beaveman

beaveman New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Mapleton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Andy = Mathis playing... UGH

20. TapocoL

TapocoL Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have not lost with Mathis starting a game (1 win and 1 draw). I think that confirms he was the best pickup of the offseason... :rolleyes:

21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, it sure does... NOT
    The guy is a waste, I'm sorry. He adds nothing to the game (you can argue he doesnt do anything negative, but really that is a poor mind set if you ask me).

22. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you had watched the game (see your previous post stating you had not) you would have seen Clint provide some quality passes to Yura, including one ball that was a scoring possibility in the box. I'm not arguing that he was the best pickup of the break, but he hasn't been a waste. It's time to take off those 2005 goggles you're still wearing. He's done some good things while playing this time around.

23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    andy williams or clint mathis... that is not a hard decision if you ask me

24. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mathis played instead of Findley. Robbie Russel played instead of Williams. Just thought I would help you out there.

25. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was suggesting put Andy as a withdrawn striker rather then mathis