RSL in CONCACAF Champions League 2010-11 [R]

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Paul Calixte, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only using this thread and not one of the game threads because I don't want to be accused of jinxing anything, of course. :D

But according to MLSSoccer (no confirmation on CONCACAF's own page, yet), the schedule for the CCL Finals is set.

IF Real Salt Lake makes it past Saprissa, and were to play Monterrey in the finals, the series would go like this (all times Mountain):

Leg 1, Wednesday, April 20: Monterrey vs. Real Salt Lake, 8:00 p.m., Estadio Tecnologico

Leg 2, Wednesday, April 27: Real Salt Lake vs. Monterrey, 8:00 p.m., Rio Tinto Stadium

or, IF RSL makes the final and you guys play your buddies from the group stage, then the schedule changes a bit for the first leg.

Leg 1, Wednesday, April 20: Cruz Azul vs. Real Salt Lake, 6:00 p.m., Estadio Azul

Leg 2, Wednesday, April 27: Real Salt Lake vs. Cruz Azul, 8:00 p.m., Rio Tinto Stadium

2. canyonvue

canyonvue Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Yep. We'd get the final game.

3. mr. slick

mr. slick Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Section 26
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SWEET! I hope we make it to that point, and that we come home with an away goal under the belt.

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we'd get the second leg of the final, just to be clear. For whatever reason (I guess its sorta obvious) CCL doesnt have a neutral site one game final.

The shitty part about hosting the second leg: getting scored on hurts that much more.

The great part: everything else

5. nsps

nsps Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    CONCACAF's schedule says the 19th and 26th, not 20th and 27th.

6. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    I received the dates of the 20th and 27th in an official communication from Concacaf to the team. I would trust those dates much more than their website which has been wrong all along the way until within a couple of days before the match.

However, none of that matters if we don't take care of business in San Jose.

7. beaveman

beaveman New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Mapleton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't we already do that last Saturday?

I think you mean San José. ;)

8. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    This is the most pedantic spelling correction I've ever seen.

Bravo, beaveman, bravo.

9. RSL Donk

RSL Donk BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    +1

Must spread rep.

10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got ya covered
    stat man with a non stat related rep is kinda weird, though

11. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, bad news for you guys... :eek:

According to Saprissa's own website, the Estadio Saprissa passed CONCACAF's inspection, so the Deportivo Saprissa-Real Salt Lake CCL game will take place there.

Of course, I'm sure that when Sabo gets back from Costa Rica, he'll fill the rest of the team in on this...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdTHvvebZTk"]YouTube - La Ultra Morada cuando ingresa el campeón[/ame]

...especially having their locker room right beneath that section at the beginning of the video.

12. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No! the bad news is that your club comes home to a 2 goal deficit against a team that is firing on all cylinders, Add to that your clubs failure to get the all important away goal and I really like my clubs chances.
    My only fear from your attached video is your stadium collapsing.

13. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville
    Basically. Saprissa 2-0 overtime. 3-0 Saprissa gets the win. RSL scores 1 goal, no over time, Saprissa would have to win 4-1. With that one goal, 3-1 Saprissa, RSL would go through.

14. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hm? It wasn't smack talk - more of the "hope Andy brings his umbrella for taking corner kicks" variety.

15. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we will be seeing Javi taking most of the corners;)

16. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This match is huge. I can't wait. Can't remember last time I was so excited for an RSL match. 90 minutes away from the elation of knowing we will host the Championship, or heartbreak city.

Bring on the Monster's Cave. Wouldn't have it any other way.

I just have one request from the team. Go out with courage. I hope the banging from the stands above the locker room inspires. I hope Sabo runs onto the field with RSL pride, ready to show his former club and country that club futbol has arrived hardcore in the states and is here to stay.

I hope we attack from the get-go, similar to Cruz Azul - No Fear. We all know the importance of 1 away goal. If we play aggressive, play to win, and it back-fires, I'm OK with that. We lose to an awesome Saprissa squad and we had a great run in the tourney.

And we come back home with pride, knowing we played our game. The worse thing would be to pull back on our heels, play without courage, and let them completely monopolize the run of play.

Playing games in this kind of environment - on the road - is where courage is refined and champions are made. VAMOS RSL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I second this request.

I'm sure JK will be all over these guys. As Nicky stated in his comments after the LA game "we don't know how to play any other way. we attack" do that Jason. A 4-5 thriller would be a whole lot easier to swallow this time around:rolleyes:

Sure, the stadium is intimidating. An away goal would shut those purple freaks up rather quick. Bomma on turf is something these guys are going to wish they hadn't come into conflict with.

18. beaveman

beaveman New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Mapleton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let Sabo take the corners. I don't think the Ticos would want to hurt one of their own! :p

19. Steve H.

Steve H. Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    You mean, like we wouldn't want to hurt Pablo Mastroeni?

20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bad example. everyone wants to hurt pablow... just look at that douche bag. He and Casey make me wanna hit something, hard.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a better Saprissa/Sabo comparison would be Kyle and the cRapids. The all-time winningest player in Rocky Mtn Cup history is still near and dear to cRapid faithful, even though he is their hated rival's capt'n.

22. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the threads for the two legs of the Final will probably wait until after the weekend league games, I just wanted to say here:

It is a damn honor to be able to play for a regional trophy in your own house, and Real Salt Lake has earned it every step of the way. Congratulations once again, and take a moment to think of everything that happened along the way here:

- The 3-0 hammering of the Rapids on the last day of the 2009 season to sneak into the playoffs
    - Back-to-back playoff wins over the Supporter's Shield-winning Columbus Crew
    - A penalty shootout in Chicago that could have gone either way, esp. Grabavoy's clincher hitting the goalie's gloves and going in anyways
    - RSL refusing to back down in front of the MLS/media darling Galaxy, getting the equalizer and holding their nerve in the shootout to win the MLS Cup
    - Putting up with unthinkable levels of bull&%*! from Arabe Unido and still winning both games
    - Taking care of business against Toronto, especially with Javi's free kick to guarantee qualification
    - Narrowly letting victory escape in the Estadio Azul, only to turn around and let a B+ team take out the Mexicans in Rio Tinto to guarantee 1st place
    - Putting on a "preseason" masterclass against Columbus at home to move to uncharted territory for MLS teams in the CCL: the semifinals
    - Stealing the limelight from the MLS season opener with a 2-0 manhandling of regional power Saprissa
    - Staring down the Monster's Cave, not losing the team structure, and punishing Saprissa with an away-goal to ice the series

Fact is, not a single MLS team has ever faced what you guys went through to make this CCL Final. Take pride in that.

23. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Congratulations, guys; however the final goes, you've done the league proud.

24. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What he said, I am rooting for you.

25. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations RSL. Epic and historic victory.

I consider making the finals of CCL the greatest achievement in the history of US Club soccer.

Good luck in the finals.