RSL in CONCACAF Champions League 2010-11 [R]

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Paul Calixte, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off, just as everyone else has come here to say: Congratulations to the MLS Champions! And, as a bonus for your accomplishment, RSL has taken the USA1 spot for the MLS Cup winner, straight into the group stages of the CCL:

http://www.concacafchampions.com/page/CL/NewsDetail/0,,12856~1883515,00.html

As such, sometime between August and early November, you'll play 6 games in a group that looks something like this:

- Real Salt Lake
    - A Central American Champion
    - Mexican runner-up (assuming a huge upset doesn't happen)
    - Random team from Central America/Caribbean/Canada

So ahead of time, I just wanted to ask: are you guys looking forward to playing anyone in particular? How do you expect attendance will look (especially if/when a Mexican team comes to town)? And, although the answer will probably be clearer after the CBA negotations, how do you think Jason Kreis and co. will handle the extra games at the end of the season?

Good luck next year! And I hope you represent the league well. :cool:

2. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    Re: RSL in CONCACAF Champions Leauge 2010-11 [R]

I love this thread. Personally looking forward to all CCL matches...and plan to travel south with the club at least once.

Answer to an excellent question: JK already has enough on his smallish plate--and to date has seemed slightly overwhelmed w/ single USOC play-in matches. Valid concern here.

3. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Very excited about this as well - so far we only know the 4 MLS Clubs that will play in 2010 / 2011:

Seattle, LA, Columbus, RSL

Columbus and RSL are automatics into the group stage -

Can't wait. Anybody know what the television coverage is for this tournament? Will we be able to see the away games?

4. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002

FSC showed almost all the MLS games in CCL last season and I would think will do so again. Hope you're a Christian Miles fan! :)

And good luck to you all too. Better stay healthy! Unless the new CBA boosts the cap quite a bit, it's tough to do much in CONCACAF unless you stay very healthy. Those brutal away matches in Mexico and Costa Rica, etc. during the stretch run to the MLS playoffs can be killer. Arguably, DC fumbling you into the last playoff spot, and subsequently the MLS Cup you very deservedly won, was because of injuries and the strain of CCL.

Also many congratulations on that MLS Cup! Nice to see St. Nick and Garth do well, they were both very popular in DC. I've always been a Kreis fan too. Much better you all winning than LA buying another one.

5. RealSandy

RealSandy Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sandy
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would love to play the guatemalan team. I would also like to be matched up against the PR Islanders. They are a good team and really fun to watch.

6. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007

Great topic. Thanks for starting it. My guess is that a Mexican team will be a solid attendance - 12K+. Others will depend on the team, but probably less than stellar - 6K-7K. Fairly typical for CCL I think.

Of course, it's all about depth. This team has had decent depth, we'll have to see what the 2010 version looks like.

Coaching-wise, Kreis is likely to see more variety in coaching style than he's faced to this point. We'll have to see how he'll respond.

7. ryno007

ryno007 New Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Draper, UT, USA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll echo what everyone else has said here, I'm very excited for CCL. I think the stress that CCL and Superliga have put on rosters has not gone unnoticed by the league or the player's union, and I hope that will be a consideration in the CBA talks. I'll be at the RioT for those matches regardless of who's here. Nice to get some "exhibitions" that actually count for something. Friendlys can be great to see the big name clubs visit, but (at least to me) they lose some luster in the fact that the result is meaningless. With CCL, the result is most certainly NOT meaningless.

8. hdh8

hdh8 Member

May 10, 2006
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

With the rest of you, I'm thrilled for the opportunity to see RSL in the CCL next year. Looking forward to those matches as much, if not more, than many of the regular season MLS opponents.

I may be most excited about the fact that it will give us a better look at our bench players, and especially those who haven't even been making the game-day rosters. Playing in the CCL will not only test Kreis's coaching ability (I'd have to agree with RSLFM that this will be a might test for JK), it should also prove to be a refining fire for the FO's scouting and player acquisition over the past year or two. Which role players will step up and prove themselves? Alexandre? Cox? Gonzalez? Nunez? El Khalifi? Horst? Reynish? The added experience for these guys can only be a positive, though potential fatigue/injuries in the regular starters present a worrisome affect as well.

Depending on where we sit in the table at come that time of year, I can see JK and the staft giving the CCL more/less priority based on our likelihood of RSL making the MLS playoffs. The MLS Cup will certainly be the top priority again, even though the CCL title would be a much bigger accomplishment, IMO.

There's only one thing I can say for certain, it will be a mighty test for RSL players, staff, and fans.

My hope: we represent the MLS well. My prediction: we bow out in the group stage. Whatever the case, can't wait to see a few matches at the Rio T.

9. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden

A valid point is that it's not quite as many additional games as people might think...

First, you can eliminate the meaningless exhibitions and replace them with CCL games.

- 2009, 2 exhibitions & 1 USOC game - a total of 33 games during the regular season.
    - 2008, 3 friendlies, 2 USOC, & 30 regular season - total of 35 games.
    - 2007, 3 friendlies, 2 USOC, & 30 regular season - total of 35 games.
    - 2006, 1 friendly, 2 USOC, & 32 regular season - total of 35 games.
    - 2005, 3 friendlies, 1 USOC, & 32 regular season - total of 36 games.

So, what will 2010 look like? Regular season 30 games. 1 guaranteed USOC and 6 CCL games for a minimum of 37 games during the regular season. It's not that much more than the 35-36 they've played in almost every other year of existence.

Second, it sounds like Garber/the league understands the impact of these additional tournaments and is trying to figure something out to help those teams... Remember he keeps repeating that he thinks it important MLS does well in the CCL - then MLS needs to help those teams put their best foot forward (it could be cap relief, extra allocation, additional roster spot(s), whatever).

------

Ultimately, this is a GREAT additional value for season ticket holders - we now have a guaranteed 18-19 games (if we host the USOC game) at home. I don't know if I need a "friendly" at this point.' The FO can pre-sell these seats FAR in advance which will really help attendance dramatically.

I'll tell you what, a CCL trophy would be AWESOME!!!

RSL is actually a fairly deep team, especially if we get another forward equal or better than Yura. We have a lot of solid players who can come off the bench.

10. keeptheslinrsl

Mar 17, 2008
    Section 26!
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Do we have to play into the LHUSOC this year or are we seeded?

11. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The MLS is fielding a strong set of teams this time around, especially compared to the 2009 group.

I think this will be quite a challenge for RSL, both organizationally and team-wise. One benefit I hope to see is them playing against teams that are faster paced and more technically sound than MLS teams. As they adjust to that it will help them against MLS opposition.

RSL has done well in international friendlies, which have all been played here. These games will not be friendly, and half will be on the road. The higher level of pressure might be good for them

On the other hand, there is no doubt that the added pressure might have negative impacts on our efforts to defend the crown. We'll just have to wait and see. All in all, I am glad for them to have this opportunity.

12. keeptheslinrsl

Mar 17, 2008
    Section 26!
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would almost rather see RSL play these games more seriously than league games. It would be great to make it to the Club World Cup!

13. blitzzfan

blitzzfan Member

Jul 25, 2000
    St. George, UT

Second to winning MLS Cup, the CCL is the deal.

Real games that matter instead of scrimmages you have to pay for.

I'm hoping for a match against a team from the caribbean where my wife would tag along. Or how about Atalante? How close are they to CCL?

With 24 player rosters teams just about have to pick where to spend the energy. It too tough to make MLS and CCL priorities.

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well we better beat expectations here if we are to fulfill Dave Checketts proclaimation that RSL is the "greatest team in the world". Bring it on!

15. GoReal

GoReal Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Orem, Utah

I was wondering the same thing?

We won the MLS Cup so we should be in the USOC, but last year it was the top six teams that did not have to "play into" the tournament. RSL was in the Western Conference finals and still was not seeded so it may be the top six teams of the regular season.

16. GoReal

GoReal Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Orem, Utah

Mexico is in the middle of their apertura playoffs. If I remember right the teams are Cruz Azul, Puebla, Monteray, America, San Luis, Toluca, Santos, and Morelia. They have played their 1st leg already and the second leg is this weekend. I think they take two teams from here that earn a place in the CCL. I believe Mexico has two more spots like MLS, but I'm not sure how they qualify.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I found this page where it talks about Western Conference champs NY having to play SJ in a "play-in" game because they weren't one of the 6 top MLS teams in the regular season.

http://redbullsreader.wordpress.com/2009/04/29/red-bulls-earthquakes-usoc-thread/

So that sucks. Am I already too prideful to say that its a little embarrasing and insulting that our 2009 Eastern Conference Champs and MLS Cup winners have to do a "play-in" game for the USOC? Ugh.

18. neophyte

neophyte Member

Sep 15, 2004
    Salt Lake City

I'm hopeful that we will do well, at least in the home games. FWIW, we have an excellent record in friendlies against pretty big teams, teams at least on par with the CCL teams. Now you can argue that friendlies are just that, but remember the Chivas Guadalajara game this year?-- hardly friendly.
    Can't wait to show the league that we support our team well at CCL games.

19. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If I were JK, I would only field bench players in the U.S. Open Cup and rest all starters. (This could also gives some bench players needed playing time). To excel in the CCL and MLS you will need to keep your starters rested.

20. nsps

nsps Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

Sounds like a plan. Just so long as the benchers are good enough for us to win the treble. :)

21. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hah! Treble, not gonna happen. Unless MLS greatly expands the roster sizes and salary cap, the best plan is to scuttle your chances in one competition to focus on the most important two.

22. nsps

nsps Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

I agree—the comment was largely tongue-in-cheek. Not that I'd complain if we did take the treble, mind you. I wouldn't mind at all.

23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Has any MLS team won the CONCACAF Champions Cup, MLS Cup and the USOC in one year? If anyone did it, its got to be DC or LA.

Whats it called if RSL also wins the Supporters Shield? Quadruple?

24. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don Garber's Worst Nightmare... ;)

25. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I imagine after Columbus and now RSL winning the Cup, the only thing that can make this better for Don is that KC wins it all next year.