RSL in 2012-13 CCL Running PBP/Discussion

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, Jun 22, 2012.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    here is the schedule
    with our MLS schedule, this is how things stacks up:
    7/27 vs Vancouver
    7/31 @ Herediano (CRC)
    8/4 @ cRapids
    8/11 @ Vancouver
    8/18 vs FCD
    8/21 vs Tauro FC (PAN)
    8/24 @ Philly
    9/1 vs DCU
    9/6 @ Houston
    9/18 @ Tauro FC (PAN)
    9/22 vs Portland
    9/29 @ Chivas
    10/6 @ LAG
    10/17 @ Seattle
    10/23 vs Herediano (CRC)
    10/27 vs Vancouver

Pretty meh for the most part
    • have to fly to costa rica just days after a home game and then days after that we are @ cRapids (RMC should be won by then, but still...)
    • hosting Tauro after a home match is nice. The flight to philly after won't suck as much as it could
    • The game @ Panama is right after international break. This could be used to our advantage as the guys could go down more than a few days ahead. I think this game will be big in determining the group, so hopefully they take advantage of it.
    • The last game comes after a trip to seattle and before we host vancouver. It's at home so not too bad, but still more congestion. The plus, though, is that we will go into that last game knowing what needs to be done if we are to win the group.

2. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    other than the first @herediano match i see nothing wrong with this schedule. the schedule is congested for the home Tauro match, but it is at home and the boys should be used to three matches in a week, on top of that the previous game is at home as well. they should be rested for the @tauro game with a nice break before and the following game against portland is at home. far travel, yes, but we get the home comforts instead of traveling again to some other city. and the last game against herediano will be at home with almost a weeks worth of rest and prep for the game and the following game is also at home so while we wont have a ton of prep time, we get the home comforts. it's also huge we get the home match on the last matchday/week of the group stage, if things are still unsettled in our group that will go a long ways in helping us come out on top.

i think it's set up very well for us, just gotta take care of business.

RSLer repped this.
  3. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way that we are playing right now, I'm grateful that we aren't in the midst of CCL. If we were, it would be 2 and out, with no points earned.

4. Claretpapers

Claretpapers New Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The home match against Tauro FC is also a POAP match. Stadium will definitely be full.

5. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the heads-up!

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to start getting serious about the CCL. We're just over two weeks away from the opening game, on the road in Costa Rica. Here's hoping we play the next two league games with an eye to being healthy and rested for the CCL game . . .

7. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why did we start a second thread?

8. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CCL. RSL is about to start it's quest on July 31st for the holy grail of North American soccer excellence, the CONCACAF Champion's League and our first opponent is Herediano from Costa Rica. I was impressed that Costa Rica is one of only a handful of countries in the world without a standing army and I asked myself, the Great El-ahrairah, why would this country not have a standing army? Is it because the people of this country are so ferorcious that they strike fear in the hearts of any and all invaders or could it be that the country is full of non-violent, peace-loving people? Maybe the starting line-up for Herediano will give some clue.
    ---------------------------------a frothing, rabid hamster----------------------------------------------
    -------a downy chick------a soft kitty--------a cute puppy-----------------a fluffy bunny----------
    ----My Little Pony----------Cabbage Patch Kid--------Beenie Baby-----------Teddy Bear--------
    ------------------Barney------------------------Baby Bop-----------------------------------------------
    Coach: Bambi
    Assistant Coach: Strawberry Shortcake

Well, other than the frothing, rabid hamster in goal, the rest of the team looks rather non-violent, so this should be a push over for RSL as long as that stupid, purple dinosaur doesn't start singing ("...I love you, you love me...") and cause RSL to "go medieval" on their forwards which look like it would be easy to kick the stuffing out of (Argh!!! Hanging participle!!").

However, just like the Rabbit of Caerbannog (the killer bunny for all you Monty Python novices) who appeared as a soft, cute bunny, but who had a "mean streak a mile long", this could be a "trap" ("It's a trap"), so RSL needs to be careful with this game. What is really hiding behind that smiling, purple dinosaur? Another vorpal bunny?

Allez RSL, 15 to 32 and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if you got to the RSL v cRapid game early enough, they were handing out the game-day pamphlets they always do. Inside this particular one they had, instead of two players pictured, the CCL groups and then knockout bracket all nicely laid out - see picture below.
    [​IMG]
    I was looking over the small print as work is incredibly slow today and noticed this:
    did we know this already and I forgot?

It makes not only winning your group, but winning it big very important.
    Also, it will be interesting to see if teams that already have the group won on the last day (if possible) will have a little gamesmanship to avoid certain match-ups and certain sides of the bracket.

10. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya, we already knew the seeding process for the quarterfinals/knock-out stages, if we make it that far.

11. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the very last one all the way through for the first time last night.
    :cry:
    ********ing Suazo.

13. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I can't listen to "We are the Champions" without thinking about that game.

*********ing Suazo...

14. Black Prince

Black Prince Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
  15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure which is tougher to watch - highlights of the 2008 WCF, or the 2011 CCL final. Both are gutting.

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mean this to sound rude, but how is a spot in the MLS Cup even close to winning Champions League?

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say tougher to experience live. In re-watching the highlights and comparing dominance in one versus the other - that WCF is up there. There's no Suazo for example, no one who you can see is better than our bunch and who can easily beat us with a moment of brilliance. As much as the CCL slipped from our grasp, we dominated that WCF.

Which one do I wish we won more? CCL absolutely. That gutted me for a long time.

18. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be honest. I'd be more than happy to go to the final again vs Monterrey to give this group a chance at revenge. Although losing twice to them would be pretty tough to swallow.

19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bit of good news for Ismitje: my playoff soccer game Tuesday is off, the other team forfeiting. No need for me to have my thoughts in two places: I get to watch the CCL. :)

20. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They clearly knew CCL was more important and decided not to show up so they could watch it ;)

21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who will be telecasting the match Tuesday?

23. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    You probably have to get if off the concacaf web site like last time.

24. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CONCACAF television and Fox Soccer Channel.