RSL Blogs cont'd

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Apr 8, 2009.

1. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My only problem with it is that he feels the need to fill up every second of air space with it. I'd enjoy his insight a lot more if he'd just quiet down a bit more and let us watch the game.

2. Christoph

Christoph Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Farm Country
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Usually the play-by-play announcer does most of the talking. That's the point, lots of play-by-play with a few interjections from the color commentator here and there. Most of the time Riley has to cut Dunny off because something exciting is happening on the field.

3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    like the goal for Espindola
    it's rather funny to listen to on the highlight package because it essentially is "and there is a goal" after Dunny talks about some random thing that, probably was related to the game, but could have been done with a lot less words

4. Christoph

Christoph Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Farm Country
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention the fact that most of the time he doesn't even come up with anything original to talk about. He brings up one point at the beginning of the match and then says it over and over throughout the rest.

So Riley has to cut him off when we score a goal while Dunny is saying something that he has already said 3-4 times during the match.

Maybe that's why the cRapids fans think he is such a homer. Because he just repeats himself over and over, so when it is a compliment for our guys it sounds like he's gushing. But really he just can't come up with anything else to say.

5. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I'll take Dunseth. The insights are worth the repetition.

Remember, we've had people like Dave Fox doing games - a guy who still can't pronounce player names after years of 'covering' the team, a guy who should be in jail for real estate fraud, a guy who can't match a tie to a shirt to save his life and who has somehow mailed it in at KUTV for 20 years.

Seriously. When you look at some of the yokels doing soccer broadcasts across the league, I'll gratefully take the unbearable "It's a goal for X" from broad-nostril man and ramblings from Brian Dunseth.

We can't all have JP Dellacamera or Twellman. Our guys do a solid show.

6. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word. At least Dunny knows the subject matter, even if he harps on it too long. You could have a "big three" PBP guy who yells 'touchdown' after a goal.

7. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be fun to have the football-guy-turned-Dog-show guy from Best in Show though.

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLhv3lD-E-0"

8. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did Dave Fox call any of the games? I thought it was David James (the one who didn't plead guilty to a load fraud) did play by play on KMYU.

9. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    You are correct. It was David James, and he isn't a douche.

10. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, you're unfortunately quite wrong.

Dave Fox actually did a few games in years past and they were horrible.

DJ was much better - he's a professional. I respect him a lot.

If you didn't catch any of the Fox games, then consider it a blessing.

11. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I must have missed the Dave Fox broadcasts. Whoops!:eek:

12. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I will take Dunseth and his attempts to explain what is going on over a guy like Locke who uses every broadcast to try and bore you to death with stats only Sheldon Cooper would appreciate.

13. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I've put a few new things on the ol' blog.

Mostly just some copied news articles but one humorous item provided by 15 to 32. The Curse of Pablo's Pants, hilarious.

www.rslcup.blogspot.com

14. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dunseth still talks too much, though he has gotten much better. There were games in previous seasons that I got so annoyed by his continually chatter that I turned off the sound.

15. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had so much fun with this year's interview that I decided to go back and revisit it with Spence and Dunny from On Frame.

2012 Media Interview Follow Up -- On Frame

There's nothing really earthshaking in there, but it was another fun discussion. Hopefully we're getting pretty close to a tipping point with RSL/MLS/Soccer coverage here in Utah.

16. smackdowntay

smackdowntay Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here ya go.

[​IMG]

Why dont we just go ahead and put this in the "caption this" thread...

RSL Punk 2 repped this.
  17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm trying a new setup.
    Instead of doing pre and post game posts, I'm going to just pick something weekly (roughly) to talk about that I feel would be interesting.

http://onetouchsoccer.wordpress.com/
    my latest piece is on the new comeback kids at RSL

18. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just posted my write-up of Saturday's friendly: http://on-soccer.blogspot.com/2012/05/byu-rsl-friendly-519-2012.html

I got some nice pics (albeit with a camerphone) since I was sitting in the media tent.

https://plus.google.com/photos/112846625814605102746/albums/5745000050489053281 (I hope that's publicly viewable.)

My favorites were a bunch I don't want to post, Javi, Olave, and Sabo playing kick around with Javi's son. I'd love to send them to Javi. Anyone know how I can contact him (other than a public shout out on twitter)?

UPinSLC and 15 to 32 repped this.
  19. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's on facebook.

20. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Balance, message sent.

21. smackdowntay

smackdowntay Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL v FCD

[​IMG]
    I hate these late, dramatic wins... they're too intense! Enjoy guys!​

Boz and ShaggyReAL repped this.
  22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    welcome to paradise, kir.
    outside the 7 or 8k diehard fans RSL seems to have, we sure have a lot of "this looks like fun, but I'm going to walk around like its a ********ing high school football game" morons

what keeps me from killing these idiots?
    the realization that they spent money on those tickets and that money is going to my club...

24. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    The four teenage boys in front of me must have dropped $30 a piece on food. I felt like I was watching one of those hot dog eating contests. It was making me sick just watching them, but, like a train wreck, I couldn't turn away.

25. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see where you're coming from, but I don't really have a problem with this. It tells me that a lot of our ticket buyers aren't diehard fans yet, and that's good because those are the people who will become the diehards of the future. For a lot of our younger fans, RSL games have become the place to "see and be seen" and that's very important to teenagers (think back...I'm sure you'll remember :p) . But when they're older and have disposable income, they'll remember the good memories of going to RSL games.

And honestly, most other sporting events are no different. Try cruising the concourse during a Utah football game.

Good for them. That $120 will come in handy when RSL sits down to re-sign Wingert and Beltran who are both out of contract after this season.