RSL Academy

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by kirsoccer, Jan 3, 2012.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this part was weird to me.
    27 (who I assume is Lucas) was pretty much on the touchline for most of the clip until he cut in. That isn't how the senior team typically plays. Sure, Johnson or Grabs will slide wide when needed, but they typically don't go that wide naturally.

Was this because of the field (plastic and narrow) or is it how the team actually plays?

2. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree on the turf comment. So much good grass over there ha ha . I would really love to see RSL Bring the Academy boys up to SLC for just one game. Maybe they could do a triple header with the adult team. Lets say when they play LA Galaxy at home they bring the boys team up to Rio Tinto and play the two academy games that day against Galaxy as well. I think the Real Salt Lake fans would love that.

3. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I have seen both Brody the left mid and Lucas the right try to keep the field spread but I would say that some of that has to do with the fact the the fields are not as wide as in the Pro level. They are trying to give more space to the central mids and forwards who also tend to stay in the middle. Both Lucas , Brody , and when Jordan plays at u-16 have incredible pace and dribbling skills so I think they like them to be able to cut back in.

4. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good stuff in that clip, work the ball around, capitalize on the opening and a nice pass for an easy one touch goal. thats how good teams make things simple and win games.

hate that crap turf field, you can see a couple times how it drastically affects the first touch. that always drove me crazy playing on that crap, something like your first touch is one thing you shouldnt be actively thinking about while playing the game. it should just come natural. when you get on a turf field you have to think about stupid little things like that and it takes away from the game. you know its really bad when the sun is literally glaring off the field.

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got $5 on the hg status being denied and him being drafted/picked-up by someone else

7. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is where it could get confusing when a player would qualify for two different teams under the homegrown rule. I would suspect that they might just cave into what the player wants. That seems to be the unwritten rule of the whole thing. Which is fine as long as there is compensation to the other club. The problem is that if the MLS does not cave in the player can always elect to go play for a foreign club.

8. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Games tomorrow 1000 for the 18s and 1230 for the 16s. Interesting game for the 16s as Santa Cruz Breakers are 3 wins and 13 losses so on paper looks like it could be an easy win but ironically the three wins are against De Anza, Chivas, and San Jose Earth Quakes who are three of the better teams in the west. My money is on the RSL 16s.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting thoughts from MLS on RSL's recent failed HG claim attempts (and Portland and LA's success).

So why didn't MLS just slap a gen-ad agreement on Villareal and put him in the draft like Cascio? Oh yeah thats because RSL isn't LA...

Read more
    http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2012/2/10/2785956/mls-youth-development-academy-homegrown-player

10. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what a ********ing joke. just another example of how LA is allowed to do whatever the hell they want WITH league support. RSL meanwhile gets zero advantages to the framework/ground work they have laid down and the league actually PUNISHES them for all that work.

this league is turning into the NBA after every passing day.

11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the logic proposed their is just horrible.
    The whole point of Gen Adidas was to give those kids that possibly could go to Europe and incentive to stay, wasn't it?

I really want to see LA crash and burn this season.
    Of course, if that happens, suddenly new rules will be made allowing them to carry 8 DP's and then their fanbase will say "well your owners just aren't financially invested like ours". Go ******** yourself LA and your fans

12. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2012/2/13/2791805/mls-youth-development-academy-homegrown-player

Good article .

13. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also weekend summary was that the U-18s came out and played their best game of the year. i think the goal that made it 2 to 0 righ tbefore the half was what turned this into quite an easy game. As for the 16s they learned what it was like to recieve so much press and praise. They now have a big target on their back and Santa Cruz came in vry high energy and pressed the ball. Off course that sort of strategy also tends to lead to running out of gas and that is what happened with RSL 16s fighting back from 2 to 0 down to take a 3 to 2 lead and then giving two points away at the end with an own goal. All in all a good weekend of developement. Next up are Patedores who are the defending u-18 national champs. Also the boys got to spend some quality time interacting with the RSL Adult team . Lucas said it was awsome!

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is part 2 but check and see.

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct, my mistake.

17. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Academy players spent last evening being lectured by Jason Kreis and some of the RSL players. I asked Lucas what he most got out of the lectures. He said being told to be a sponge and soak it all up. Learn from everyone who coaches you , who you play with, and even who you play against. What a great experience!!

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. d1ddy

d1ddy Member

Oct 8, 2008
    upstate
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question for you: How interested are the Academy players in the Mens Team? Til now I'd just assumed the boys followed the team and its progress. Do the boys follow particular players? Has RSL's recent success had any influence on the caliber of players that come to the academy (along with the great program down there)?

I'm just curious and I figured if anyone had answers, you would. Thanks

20. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry for the delay in response as i was at a work convention all last week. I think that right now the boys that come to RSL Arizona do it because of the Academy and its growing reputation. Because they are down there and wear the Jersey I think they begin to develope a loyalty to RSL and see more the style of play. I think in the beginning it is more of just pick the best Academy and it grows from there. A little different for Lucas because he is actually from Utah as has been going to RSL games since he was very young. He has even been a ball boy a few times. In fact at a younger age one of his heroes was Andy Williams and of course loved to watch Javier Morales the past few years. I will tell you Lucas has absolutley loved being around the First team the past few weeks.

21. d1ddy

d1ddy Member

Oct 8, 2008
    upstate
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the insight.

22. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK Academy back in action this weekend against Crossfire. The 18s just need to keep the momentum going and the 16s need to convert all that possesion into goals. March and April are the big months with both ages in position to make the academy playoffs with some good results. I wont be down there this week so if someone is give us a report.

23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a thought: why not have your kid, Lucas, start his own blog.

Have him do a weekly update of things. How he thought the group played. How he is liking his time. The off the field stuff that nobody but someone there could elaborate on, etc etc.

I think we on here would all enjoy it. other not as crazy RSL fans would probably appreciate it, and I'd bet that it could be used as a great recruiting tool for the club.

In fact, if he sold it the right way, he could probably get a cool design from the club to make it appeasing on the eyes.

24. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will check with him and the club. Not a bad idea.