RSL Academy

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by kirsoccer, Jan 3, 2012.

1. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not everyone gets scouted. Some guys bloom late. Even if it's not the primary means of player acquisition, the draft will have a purpose for a long time.

2. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can honestly see the draft disappearing in the future. Perhaps one draft will stick around, but all the drafts we have now I don't see lasting. As teams get their academies going and putting out talent, there will be less and less need of a draft. Sure you might see some late bloomers in college, but I don't see why you'd need a draft for teams to scout and pick them up.

The draft was something that was necessary at the start of the MLS, in the future it won't be needed at all.

3. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    In other countries they sign young kids to contracts, and the FIFA regulations allow for a transfer fee to cover the development costs. However, there are legal and social roadblocks in the US that prevent this for kids under 18.

Salcedo's family are very close friends with Martin Vasquez, Team USA assistant and former RSL Academy Director. That's how he ended up with RSL-AZ.

Allez RSL and 15 to 32 repped this.
  4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to the first point - that is something I hadn't initially considred but it is a very valid point. I'm not current on my labor law - is there something you could do at the age of say 16 even?

As for the second, I'm glad to hear that relationship has already paid dividends. We need to utilize it more. Any idea how many of the academy kids have used that connection?

5. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had not heard that Vasquez had left his position down at the academy.

6. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a recent conversation with some folks down there, I heard that he still had a position in the Academy, Executive Director or something similar.

7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fancy term for consultant that recommends the academy while not having to actually be there

8. Black Prince

Black Prince Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Ha! Sounds like a great gig. It might be worth every penny to RSL if it gets RSL young players like Salcedo.

15 to 32 repped this.
  9. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys it has been a while since I posted. I just wanted to say I saw Jordan Allen play many times and he is great player. Has all the potential in the world. What you don't know is what will be the ceiling . That is what you can't predict on a player and why it is so tricky.

I could write a book someday on how vague and weird American soccer rules are. My son played for RSL his sophomore year actually had to have his rights traded to Portland timbers for his junior year where he played for the reserves 4 times and now his senior year he decided to stay home after being away since he was 15 and he will play for Viewmont High. I don't know who has his rights now or
    If he even can be homegrown but he will go to UVU this fall and see if he can help start their program and then turn pro.

He also had to turn down a 3 month trial at an English club because he would. Have had to sign a contract making him intelligible for college soccer. Are you as confused as me yet ? Ha ha.

Anyway glad to see two of Lucas teamates from RSL benji and Jordan have signed. Sure would love to see a real local kid like Lucas . Fito ovalle or bofo sauce do signed someday. That would be a real homegrown. :).

Go Vikes.

15 to 32, ccb1212, FC-Sky11 and 3 others repped this.
  10. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please keep us updated on Lucas. Many here have been following you talk about him for a long time so we are now somewhat invested in him as well :)

15 to 32 repped this.
  11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this
    No matter what happens with the kid, let us know.

I can only imagine spending all your teenage / high school years away on soccer like that kid. On the club team I was on I was gone fairly regularly - and your son makes that look like I lived a pretty nice "home life" in comparison. Hope he doesn't get burned out - to me that is one of things not discussed enough in youth soccer. Or at least not given enough respect.

Best of luck to both of you guys.

12. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a look at the academy through the eyes of Academy Keeper Christian Herrera:

soccersubjectively and 15 to 32 repped this.
  13. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, on the topic of RSL academy keepers ...

RSL has a pretty good track record in this spot. Lalo Fernandez has signed with the first team. Matt Bersano is a sophomore at Oregon State where he had 20 goals allowed in 17 starts, including 5 clean sheets -- a 1.18 GAA with 5.59 saves per game. Luis Barraza is starting for the U18s and did a pretty good job against the full team. Christian Herrera is starting for the U16s and playing w/ the USMNT U18s.

Not to mention Chris Seitz and Kyle Reynish and the Homeboy himself.

14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No love for Jeff?
    I think he's better than Reynish in what I've seen of him

15. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Antinella should get some love. I'll go write "Antinella > Reynish" a hundred times.

15 to 32 repped this.
  16. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UPinSLC and SoccerPrime repped this.
  17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great read. I hope you guys focus on this as things get officially announced and details slowly emerge.

Also, for those that haven't read this blog post yet, some secrets are revealed... or are they? ;)

18. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the big moment has arrived and Lucas is officially a member of the 2014 Utah Valley University Soccer Team. Here is a link with all the details of the new program. A very impressive group of boys. Could this be the new sleeping giant of college soccer? Time will tell.
    http://www.wolverinegreen.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/020514aaa.html

Great news for soccer in the great state of Utah.

ccb1212, 15 to 32 and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  19. tadpole07

tadpole07 New Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Pate has mentioned former academy player R-So GK Matt Bersano. He had a great year at Oregon State University and set the new school record for most saves at 101. The team did not win one game in the Pac-12 but they tied UCLA twice, when UCLA was in the top 5 of the nation each time. Needless to say, Bersano did well and was recognized by being named All-Pac-12 Second Team.
    http://www.osubeavers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30800&ATCLID=209316540

pate repped this.
  20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really excited about this
    please keep us posted with their schedule and such this coming season.

To tie this back to RSL - I really hope the coaching staff will utilize Greg Maas and this setup. He's a tremendous coach and the facilities at UVU are pretty damn good. Hopefully we can turn it into a pipeline of sorts for the Arizona academy kids if they don't get offers from schools like Stanford.

21. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One more article and yes I will keep everyone updated and this university should have a close tie with RSL and players from the academy. There second preseason game everyyear will be against the RSL reserves. Also someone that is better than me at this can you start a Utah Valley Mens Soccer thread? thanks

And by the way Lucas could have gone to many of those Pac 12 schools he really believes in greg mass and also there is something to be said about wanting to play close to home. I think many top Utah players will stay an play at UVU regardless of the other offers.

http://www.studentsports.com/soccer/2014/02/05/uvu/

d1ddy and ccb1212 repped this.
  22. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I'm only five minutes away, I guess I should start attending those UVU soccer games!

23. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lucas will be playing what might be his last Youth Soccer Club tournament this weekend down in Phoenix. He will be guest playing with Forza u-18 and will be playing in the u-19 mens group in the Presidents Cup . Three fun things about it are that he will be playing against RSL Elite , number 2 most of the players on this team comprise the Viewmont team he will be playing on next month, and finally Forza is the team he played with his first three years of club soccer. Should be a fun trip! Lucas is looking forward to seeing some of his RSL coaches.

15 to 32 repped this.
  24. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't look like anyone else has posted about it, the U-17s won the Central Region GA cup, and will move on to the national tournament. They went 4-1-0 with a +14 GD.

15 to 32 and RSLEast repped this.
  25. nfc1432

nfc1432 Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Average win by 3.5 goals? Did the Region just not try to send anyone to actually compete with them?