RSL Academy

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by kirsoccer, Jan 3, 2012.

1. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Here goes...per Ismitje's request:

These are some of the current academy players to watch:

U15/U16's
    • Jordan Allen - central midfielder (Winter Showcase Select team, called into US U18's, #9 on players to watch
    • Benji Lopez (Winter Showcase Select team, called into US U18's
    • Isaias Juarez - midfielder, winger (nephew of assistant coach Freddy Juarez), ranked #44 on players to watch

U17/U18's
    • Julio Alacron - strong defender
    • Ive Burnett - left back, ranked #52 on players to watch
    • Cole Nagy - d-mid, ranked as #26 on players to watch, committed to UCLA
    • Mikey Orrellana - forward who has played with RSL reserves alot (20 goals w/Academy last season), ranked #47 on players to watch
    • Ricardo Velasco - midfielder
    • Etiandro Tavares - attacking player
    • Dylan Kelly - forward (20 goals last season), ranked #33 on players to watch

d1ddy and georg repped this.
  2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kir, I must spread rep
    someone help me out here

3. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    must spread rep as well.

KIR, thanks for kicking this off with a cheat sheet for the rest of us.

4. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Of the former Academy players to watch, here's a few:

1) Lalo Fernandez, GK, has played for both US and Mexico as a youth. Currently backup at Peñarol in Uruguay (he rejected an offer from Atlas). There is some speculation on a Peñarol forum that he is set to leave the club.
    2) Matt Bersano, GK. Currently playing at Oregon State. Spent season as backup to Steve Spangler (Sr.).
    3) David Flores, MF. Currently playing at Loyola Marymount. He didn't play much this season. Small, crafty player with good soccer IQ.
    4) Tanner Clay, D/F. Currently playing at University of Charleston. Became a frequent starter at the end of the season. Not the highest of prospects, but a good athlete (was also a star receiver in high school).
    5) Phanuel Kavita, D. Currently playing at Clemson. He started all 18 matches, and scored a goal.
    6) Romy Gall, M. Currently playing w/FC Lorient (club in VA). Gall also played with DC United for a while. Not sure of his homegrown status.

Of course, there is also James Rogers, who lived in Salt Lake for years, and played under the RSL-UT program for at least three of those years, I believe. He moved to Colorado during his senior season and went on to Univ. of New Mexico. He had 19 starts, scored 4 goals and added 5 assists. I would assume that RSL has a homegrown filing on him.

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for this KIR.

A couple of thoughts.
    -Is RSL planning on labelling Kavita as a Homegrown player? If so, would it stick?
    -James Rogers. Since he moved to the cRapids academy system, wouldn't they claim him as well for homegrown? Seems like RSL will either lose their HG claim or MLS will say neither academy can claim him.

What do you think?

6. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    No idea who RSL would put homegrown claims in for, but I am not aware of a downside (other than having to file some paperwork). So I don't know why they wouldn't on both Phanuel, and on James.

Both spent alot of time in the RSL-UT system - multiple years for each. So there would be no question about the time requirement on either. The only question would be whether or not the programs were up to snuff. The hard part with the Utah program is that it's not year round.

However in Kavita's case, he also spent a year with RSL-AZ, so his would be a slam dunk, I think.

With James, I'm not sure he even spent a full year with Colorado. If RSL got credit for his multiple years with RSL-UT, I would think that would trump any claim by Colorado.

7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do you have the rules as to what qualifies a player for HG status? Is it as confusing as anything else MLS does?

8. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    They haven't made all the details publicly known, and yes its undoubtedly confusing. The basics are that the player needs to spend a year training with the team, and the training needs to be at a high level (preferably in the academy system). If a player goes to college then they must be "tagged" as a homegrown player by the team before they enter college.

There are a lot of grey areas especially for players who came up through the ranks before the academy system was so widespread (which I believe is at least part of the issue with Cascio and DeLeon).

MLS was supposed to have a comprehensive re-write of the rules by MLS Cup last year. But they are still not out.

9. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lalo Fernandez, GK Another Homegrown player for RSL that has signed with the team. The Academy is only two years old and we now have two players signed! The future looks very bright with a lot of talent in the pipeline.

10. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am going to add one more player to watch for two reasons. One because he is my son ha ha and the other because he is very good, Lucas Cawley is a 1995 but only a sophomore with a November birthday. He is in his first year with the RSL-16 team and has played very well and will have two more years with RSL-Arizona. There is your un-biased scouting report. He has played with the 1995 ODP team for the past four years including the Disney Showcase and trip to Costa Rica where he was MVP of a game. In addition he was All-state in Utah as a Freshman which is almost unheard of and went to a Real Madrid invite Camp this summer for two weeks where by all accounts he was up to the talent level of the Madrid academy players. Ok there is my totally un-biased scouting report on my son. Also keep an eye on Jon Zabasajja , Andrew Brody, and Trevor Hyman. All very good players. They play the Seattle Sounders in two weeks which I will be attending I will give you all an update of what I see. Should be two great games! The bonus for the boys is that they all get to go up that evening and watch their coach Martin Vasquez help coach the USA against Venezuela. What a great perk!

PumaJohnny repped this.
  11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the update on your kid
    better have him brainwashed to play for RSL!!!

There was a kid commenting on the combine games who said (and it seemed to be legit upon further research) he was a player for the RSL-AZ u-18's and would be heading to UCLA for soccer this coming year.

12. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yes he is brainwashed as we have been attending RSL games for years. It is either RSL or Barcelona! And yes a lot of the Academy players are active on the social media. They dont get to date down in Casa Grande ha ha . They have some downtime and they get to access the Hotels WIFI. A lot of the players have laptops.

13. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    It's probably Cole Nagy. He's committed to UCLA. Had some looks with the USYNT (U-17, I think). Good holding midfielder.

Toddsoccerdad - Thanks for the input. I try to follow what's going on at the academy as much as possible, but it's hard to do from a distance. Any updates you can provide would be very much appreciated. I don't have as much insight into the U-15/16 team since many of the players are fairly new. The U-17/18 team is quite stacked, and I assume that the younger group is as well.

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toddsoccerdad thanks for updating us. Your first hand accounts, biased or unbiased, are always welcomed and appreciated. :)

PumaJohnny repped this.
  15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, that's the kid.

how many kids at the academy have played with youth national teams?

16. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that the rule is Prior to coming if they have played with the National Team than they are not eligible as homegrown. One that for sure fits this is Jordan Allen. All the rest I beleive played at RSL before the National team.

17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    unless you are part of LA/NY/Seattle...

any idea as to how many kids there have played with the national team(s)?

18. SALTLAKEJAKE

SALTLAKEJAKE Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Sugarhood
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Random question, but I am intrigued. How did your son become involved with RSL-AZ. Was it an invitation? Did you lobby? Did he go to the try outs here in salt lake with Greg Maas' team?

I just wonder how it all works.

19. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Just three (all US): Cole Nagy was with U-17's last year, Benji Spencer and Jordan Allen (just wrapped up with U-18's). Allen has been with youth programs for years - U-14's and U-15's and was also in residency with the U-17's early last year.

As Toddsoccerdad stated, Allen would appear to be ineligible for a homegrown signing because he has had callups prior to joining the Academy. However, that rule seemed to be violated with the Villareal signing.

I'll let him fill in the details, but Lucas has been a standout in Utah for a while. I would suspect that he didn't have to beat anyone over the head to include him in their program. Although sending your son 700 miles away isn't the easiest thing to do (not to mention the cost). I have to be honest, if I had a son in that situation it would be difficult to do even if they had a ton of potential.

20. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The easy answer is that yes he did go to the tryouts for the RSL-Utah team the past two years for the Generations Adidas Cup team that they form. He made the team both of the past two years and this past summer they took those that made the RSL-Utah team down to Casa Grande to see the facilities and try out for the Generations Adidas Team. Almost all the boys that made that team were from RSL-Arizona. Lucas played in Dallas with them and really liked it. We made Greg Mass and the RSL-Arizona coaching staff aware of this and they made Lucas an offer to play down there and he accepted. You can also just go down to the tryouts that they have periodically down in Casa Grande. The RSL staff also scouts players and then had seen Lucas play before many times.

21. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kirsoccer you are right that it is hard but I think I would have had to Lock Lucas in his room to keep him from going ha ha . one thing is for sure he got some great training with La Roca, Rush, ODP, and Viewmont Soccer but getting to play everyday with some fo the best players in the country and being taught by the USA National Team Assistant Coach is very hard to beat. Not to mention right now he is practicing on a great field outside everyday while up here he would be indoors or freezing outside ha ha

22. wyomango

wyomango Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Todd--

Thanks for taking time to update us on Lucas and the RSL Academy. It's very exciting to think about the potential of some of these kids and where they may end up someday.

Best of luck to Lucas and your family!

23. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks I will try and keep you all updated as much as I can. Just keep in mind that since I know some of these boys my reports will probably be a little on the positive side. I will be down there in two weeks when we play Seattle and I will watch both the u-16 and u-18 teams play. Best of luck to you and your family as well. I would also say thanks to any of you that offer any advice or thoughts on how to proceed as there are not any manuals on MLS Academies and what you should do with a very talented soccer player son. In fact the world and the US changes everyday on this topic and what are the best routes to take. It is kind of hard to know what to do sometimes. The good news is that here in the USA we are getting better and better at knowing what we should do to develope these kids.

24. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    There's not really one answer to your question. Part of it depends on your son's goals. Turning pro? Europe? National team exposure? But keep in mind there is more than one way to skin a cat.

As for now, I think the best thing would be for him to concentrate on thriving in the academy setting. As you know there are some pretty serious scouts at some of these tournaments - Winter Showcase, Dallas Cup, etc.

25. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good advice and that is what he is doing right now. We will see what the soccer world looks like in a few months as it constantly changes. I believe strongly that the training that he gets at RSL is only rivaled by Brandeton National Team here in the USA and Vancover Whitecaps in Canada. It literally is the best training that you can get in North America .