RSL and the 2012 US Open Cup Running Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by El-ahrairah, May 23, 2012.

1. nfc1432

nfc1432 Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Chivas also gave up Heath Pearce. Who would NYRB have taken for us to get him? Would we be willing to give up Shuler?

2. Paleworm

Paleworm Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Within minutes I felt the same vibe from the team that I’ve felt in reserve matches (not sure how to quantify it—body language?), where the team just thinks they’re going to win because they’re RSL and they have a choice few starters on the pitch (and then they lose).

Not that Reynish could’ve stopped all those shots (he even looked good on the PK), but he is a weak weak presence in the back. On the play where MN scored their 3rd, I couldn’t believe he just stood there and let Nat try and clear a ball that popped up about 30 feet in the air probably 3 yards in front of him.

We need Rimando’s fire in the back, Beckerman’s fire in the middle, and Sabo/Espy’s firepower up top. Crazy how bad we need them.

3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we would have had to given up a player like Wingert or Beltran to get him, though, in that trade.
    is that worth it?

to get anywhere, you have to take chances, though.
    Fortune doesn't favor those that are content with their roster and not willing to try and fix an obvious issue.
    I wouldn't want to be Garson and have to make that decision, but that's part of the job.

It might be time (which is weird to say given our standing in the table) to make a move like this. We don't have depth at striker and are tempting fate with Sabo and Espy avoiding the injury bug

4. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville
    You want to tweak The TITS?

5. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's Reynish's stat line for the night: 3 goals allowed, 1 save (an easy one that he managed to fumble and nearly gave up a goal on the rebound). And he didn't show much command of his box...in fact, right now I honestly don't think he could have command of a litter box.

Paging Lalo Fernandez...Lalo Fernandez, your ship is ready for immediate boarding.

georg, ShaggyReAL and mr. slick repped this.
  6. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw him walking around before the game and then standing in line with his son for concessions at the half. I'm pretty sure he could have pulled a few strings to get special treatment if he'd wanted to, but I thought that was awesome of him to be spending time among the fans. I was tempted to go talk to him or get a picture, but thought I'd respect his privacy.

7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from past experience, he doesn't mind if you come say hi and are respectful.
    Espindola is the same way. In fact, Espy gave me a hug one game that he was sitting out...

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  8. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    uhhhh, this x10000000000000000. i would say it's pretty universal that the guys filling spots, say, 15-25 on this team are no where near professional level yet. even worse is that they play for a team like RSL who is at or near the top of the table for 3 straight seasons, which only inflates their egos. these are guys that throw on the jersey and think to themselves "alright, i've got the jersey of one of the best teams in the league on, i must be one of the best players in the league."

this arrogance has been born out in the quality of our reserve team, they are ********ing awful. have they even won a game yet? i realize it's a time for development in most of those guys' careers, but there's going to be a point when several of them are going to have to step up and play meanginful matches and if they have put in the preparation and effort into getting themselves ready off the first team field than the first team is going to suffer big time.

Borchers is the perfect example. he is THE CONSUMMATE professional on this team. this is a guy who is nowhere near as athletic as some of the others on the team, but he always prepared to the max. he makes sure his quality off the field is as high as possible so his quality on the field is 100%. but last night i was disappointed with him and the other regulars who played, they had a sense of "well, this isnt going our way and i cant play with these other guys who arent at my level, so i'm just going to mail it in." borlave looked like they had never played together before.

and REYNISH, jesus ********ing christ, who took your balls away? quit being such a goddamn pussy, take command of your box and freaking go after that ball like it's the biggest damn diamond in the world. guess we finally know why you've never gotten out from behind Rimando's shadow.

9. Mr.C

Mr.C Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Since RSL wont spend money, which is perfectly okay (to a point), they should do what some NCAA teams do and go for the JUCO guy. Go for some of the lower league players. I know a GK who looked pretty damn good last night! I like Dennis Chin from Orlando City. He does have 6* goals in 9 games (6 of those games he's playing 45 min or less).

*The total says 3, but if you add them up yourself you get 6.

10. TysicJC

TysicJC New Member

Nov 2, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    The one good thing we get out of this is a nice mid-season wake-up call in a game that doesn't affect our chances at the SS. . .

11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the Minnesota keeper looked confident in his box and organized his defense very well.

12. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely agree - maybe it pays off later in MLS play or even a future mid-week Concacaf game.

I'm sure the organization values Concacaf > Open Cup, but it might be interesting to think through how the line-ups would have differed for both Saturday's MLS game and the Tuesday game had it been a Concacaf game instead of Open Cup. May not have mattered considering impact of national team call-ups.

13. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *COUGH*MELVINTARLEY*COUGHCOUGH*

seriously, if you think RSL hasn't tried this multiple times before you're kidding yourself. listen, in a one or two off against MLS teams, ya the lower league teams have decent odds of winning. BUT there is a reason these guys are playing in the NASL and USL leagues, they dont have the talent to play a full MLS season. A LOT of the players on these upper echelon lower league teams have played with MLS teams, they couldnt hack it and now they are where they are.

14. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya, it's eye opening to be sure. right now, with the team constructed as it is, we have to hope like hell that 90% of our regular starters are available for the CCL matches, otherwise we're ********ed. especially rimando. i wouldnt at all be surprised if Kreis requests Klinnsman to release kyle and nick if there are international duty conflicts during our CCL run this year. sabo is kind of locked in no matter what and wont be released. but it's clear that kyle and nick are absolutely vital to this team maintaining its composure and shape. as for johnson, kind of feel 50/50 on him, but having him as depth will be crucial as well.

15. Mr.C

Mr.C Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Yes, there is a reason why some of these players are playing at that level because they didn't have the talent (or what has been talked about before, a professional attitude). Other players just have not gotten the chance to show what they can do (not saying everyone should get a chance, it's a business at the end of the day) at the MLS level. Big colleges go with JUCO guys because they have the experience and are suppose to have a higher maturity level. I can only assume that this would be the same way in this situation.

Let's say a player could not afford a high level soccer camp or a high level soccer club for this matter. He attempts to walk on at his local community college and makes the team. He then practices with the team, and theoretically since he did not have high level of coaching he probably did extra work and is more mature from a workout perspective. He ends up being pretty good, not amazing, so no big school contacts him. He goes to his local PDL team and makes that. This cycle can go on and on and eventually if the player gets to the MLS, I can only assume that he would not take it for granted and would be very professional about his soccer.

16. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Paulo Jr. and Johnny Steele. This is basically their story.

Norland repped this.
  17. Mr.C

Mr.C Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I do not want to give up on PJ, mostly because he is 23, but maybe he is that other guy that ends up not making it. I hope not, I really hope he becomes something special. Steele, well I believe he has made the most of his time here.

I'm not on the staff or the team (players know the true story of other players on the team), so I do not know who is making the up most effort. I would hope that they are all being very professional and trying to get better. However, numbers don't lie. Reserve team has looked awful.

18. Norland

Norland Member

Jun 8, 2010
    I don’t understand this idea that RSL won’t spend money. Are we going to act like Robert Kraft is the owner here? How did RSL even get to host that game last night? The team was willing to spend.

The FO outbid Seattle last year and would’ve hosted them, had once again the ever crap-able USOC bed not been crapped in Dallas.

I just don’t get this notion because we’re not buying DPs like LA, NY, Seattle we’re somehow fans of a cheap organization. Do we really want to drop a couple young players to afford someone with experience and then complain in a couple years that, when we have a season like LA because all our players are old, we haven’t developed anybody since Schuler?

I get the frustration. That was the worst, or equal to Columbus, last year that I’ve seen RSL in Rio Tinto and I struggled to sleep because of it. It’s not an excuse but Borchers/Olave are both 30 or above and had played 48 hours previously.

Do we really want a DP to make an amount that equals the rest of the team’s total salary? Saborio got labeled DP because of the cost of his contract buyout and he’s been held to ridiculous standards. Imagine how fast that cross would be built to crucify a bona fide DP who fails to score in a single outing.

I think it was an interview with Johnny Steele where he said Kries told him it would take him a year to learn the system. So, perhaps the new/young players (in general, not specifically) need to have expectations tempered. I don’t think you lose experience like Williams and Russell and then expect to be ready to avenge the loss to Monterrey in a matter of months. Nobody expected Mackenzie to play like he is for Chivas, so maybe we need to give young/new players to the league some time to develop and gather their bearings.

As miserable and humiliating as last night was, today’s a new day, and RSL still tops both the west and east tables.

Ismitje and Allez RSL repped this.
  19. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Oh. I was just pointing out that RSL (and other teams in the league) are happy to look to NASL/USL/Whatever-we're-calling-it-today for potential talent. It often pays off: Sebastian Le Toux, Herc Gomez, Brian Ching, etc.

20. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Norse Gods of Soccer smiled on the Minnesota Vikings and sent down Thor, Odin, Tyr and possibly Jormungandr and Fenrir to do battle on the pitch which explains why, oh why RSL lost 3-1.

Anyway, we weren't the only MLS side to fall flat last night. Six other MLS teams were voted off the island. In addition to our debacle with Minnesota (a NASL side), LA lost to the Railhawks (NASL), Chicago lost to the Michigan Bucks (PDL), The Revs lost on penalty kicks to Harrisburg (USL Pro), the Crew lost to Dayton (PDL), FC Dallas lost to Charlotte (USL Pro) and Houston lost San Antonio (NASL).

Right now, NASL is one level below the MLS, USL Pro is two levels and PDL is three levels. Ergo, RSL, LA and Houston lost to a 2nd divison side, the Revs and FC Dallas lost to 3rd division sides and Chicago and the Crew lost to 4th divison sides. So, although we are wallowing in our collective tifoso pain, at least we aren't Chicago or the Crew. Can you imagine loosing to the Ogden Outlaws or BYU?

21. ShaggyReAL

ShaggyReAL Awesome is my middle name

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which young guys aren't being professional? The only one that plays is Gil and I don't think he'd be lumped into that group. I can totally seem Sabi being that way.

??

22. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sit Reynish and bring on our young third string keeper, if he comes off his line and gets beaten a couple time so what! At least he has the balls to come off his line.
    RSL needs a quality 3rd striker, who do we give up to make that possible? Really not my job but I would say their is some value on this club that can make that happen. Schuler has huge value, Johnson also, hell Gil will be gone soon enough why not look into it.
    I am in no way advocating giving up, or promoting the departure of any of these players but in all reality someone at RSL needs too look at all options to create a more dangerous strike force.

23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the fact that they aren't getting playing time with the first team is irrelevant. If these guys (read depth) were true professionals, they wouldn't let themselves have such a shitty record in reserve play.

Bonfigli, Paulo, Seba, Arnoux, etc. They all seem to just mail it in for reserve games, take their paycheck (and free laser eye surgery) and just hope that Kreis will go "oh yeah, this kid deserves a shot".

24. Duiz

Duiz Member

Apr 10, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am surprised people are crapping on the young ones.
    I agree with Gravaboy, and that is a problem at the midfield. But Olave, Borchers, Beltran, and flipping Wingert were out there as the starting defenders. As far as I am concerned, no shots on goal should have been registered.

And this is a problem that didn't just start recently. Even with Beckerman and Rimando are on the team, they are having tons of those woeful lapses. Rimando is racking up saves every game, whereas those years we were supposed to be the underdog, we registered many minutes with out a shot on goal.

Also, I think Jason Kreis is starting to get outcoached constantly. His strategy of ball possession but not necessarily forcefulness is starting to get a hit. The other teams have caught up, RSL needs to change.

And it needs to change quick.

ShaggyReAL repped this.
  25. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    What? RSL needs to change quick? The rest of the league has definitely caught up to RSL's style of play. I know that because you can see them all in the rear view fetching mirror.

RSL needs to change their style of play like the need to trade Olave for a player to be named later.

It's not about style, it's about execution of said style.

RSL does need to change to find better players to fit the system on occasion or find a reliable third forward that could a shot on frame once in awhile but change a system that has them top of the table and most points ever at this point Ina season is sheer desperation and an over reaction to the nth degree.

Trade Paulo

jdfoote and BalanceUT repped this.