RSL and MLS Salaries 2014

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Apr 10, 2014.

1. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Don't bring Fifa stats into this.
    Opta stats yes, stats from a video game no.

Also, the whole "alonso for USMNT" thing is the most annoying opinion in these forums.
    You already have 2-3 players of that ability that are eligible to play

2. Liv34s0ccer

Liv34s0ccer Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    The most significant stat that disproves that Alonso is better than Beckerman is their fantasy points. Beckerman has 37 points (second highest in the league) and Alonso has 21. and obviously not everyone thinks Alonso is better, you have to buy Beckerman at $9.7 Alonso at $7.4.

But in all seriousness both good players, no homer but Beckerman is better by quite a bit in my book. if money wasn't an issue there is only one player in the league I would consider trading for Beckerman and that would be Bradley.

15 to 32 and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  3. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Subjectivity masquerading as Objectivity is one of our principle human occupations.

I personally would not trade Kyle for Alonso. I prefer KB5's style.

SoccerPrime and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  4. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    This is an amazing sentence to start out your argument. Are we not part of "everyone"?

I have Gold Status on American Airlines, which clearly makes me better than Alonso, who probably doesn't have Gold Status on American.

You forgot to include said stats. Provide them, and make your case. Otherwise, you're just blowing hot air. I'll give you an example:

Successful passing percentage in games today:
    Alonso: 92%
    Beckerman: 80%

Number of times lost possession in games today:
    Alonso: 10
    Beckerman: 12

Number of times gained possession in games today:
    Alonso: 18
    Beckerman: 18

Number of times each player touched the ball in games today:
    Alonso: 96
    Beckerman: 95

Number of goals each player scored in games today:
    Alonso: 0
    Beckerman: 1

Of course this is only one game for each player. Please feel free to look up stats from other games and share them with us. I'd seriously love to read them. But, based on these games, I'd say that Alonso holds the slight edge in % of passes completed and retaining possession, but they're pretty much neck-and-neck in most categories. My guess is that if you look at more games you'll find much the same thing, except Beckerman typically touches the ball something more like 125 times per game while Alonso is probably closer to 100 on average.

And why do you think that Beckerman has a lower passing percentage? Because he also gets involved in the attack, where losing possession isn't as big of a deal. In fact, gathering stats on the offensive side of the ball is much easier for a longer period of time:

Average shots per game since 2009:
    Alonso: 1.3
    Beckerman: 1.3

Average shots on goal per game since 2009:
    Alonso: 0.3
    Beckerman: 0.5

Average goals per game since 2009:
    Alonso: 0.04
    Beckerman: 0.14

Average assists per game since 2009:
    Alonso: 0.09
    Beckerman: 0.20

So, they take the same number of shots, but Beckerman puts 46% more of his shots on goal, and scores more than 3 times as many goals. Oh, and he gets twice as many assists as well.

In all honesty, I like Alonso a lot. I think he's a great player, and I agree that he might actually be slightly better on the defensive end than Kyle. But Kyle totally dominates on the offensive side, without giving up much at all on defense. I'd never trade Kyle for Alonso, despite the Fifa gold star you're so proud of. :rolleyes:

SoccerPrime, d1ddy, SpiffCoug and 11 others repped this.
  5. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I apologize in advance for bringing evidence to an opinion contest. From Squawka.com.
    But, if you look at the entirety of last season, the basic idea that has emerged through these discussions, that Alonso may be a better on the defensive side, but not as good overall, is well-supported. I'll leave it to the industrious to go to Squawka and reveal that data.

[​IMG]

6. RaveGreen

RaveGreen Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    What the hell is Squaka?

I get my stats from you know Opta, MLS Soccer, etc.

And regarding EA FIFA, they use real stats to come up with their player ratings and EA Sports has a very close relationship with MLS. I know because my ex works for EA up in Vancouver.

Still think we overpay?

Assuming that we do, if we do it's because we can afford to.

And, we still have plenty of allocation money left over to add a big player after the World Cup.

http://www.sounderatheart.com/sound...cap-space-to-add-decent-player-post-world-cup

Probably Drogba (after we use said allocation money to pay down Alonso's DP salary to a non-DP level).

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...-made-lucrative-offer-dp-target-didier-drogba

Having a rich ownership group has its advantages.

7. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    No, you don't. You didn't provide any stats whatsoever.

And now you're bragging about overpaying because you're so filthy rich that you can? How much more snobbish can you get? And, what have those overpaid players gotten you so far, other than arrogance? I sincerely hope that you get a 36-year-old Drogba. I'll laugh when he gets schooled by our CBs, who will combined make less than a 10th of his salary.

This is the reason that everyone else in MLS hates Seattle fans. Just leave before you look like more of an idiot.

Lizzie Bee, 15 to 32, BalanceUT and 3 others repped this.
  8. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Giving Shalrie Joseph a DP contract is what comes to mind whenever I think about rich ownership groups in MLS.

I'm 100% sure if Beckerman and Alonso were to switch places so would their paychecks.
    That's not an advantage, that's bad business.

And if your owners are so damn rich then why the hell did the league need to help out with Dempsey's transfer fee?
    You made it sound like you have money to burn so why the need for help?

15 to 32 repped this.
  9. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please, don't go away. I've not laughed so hard in a long time.

BalanceUT repped this.
  10. RaveGreen

RaveGreen Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Same reason they pitched in for Michael Bradley. They saw it in the best interest of the league to outbid European clubs which wanted him to bring him home.

Its the same reason there are league-wide retention funds.

Back on topic, I'll see if I can put together some stats for you.

11. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Using that word "everyone" again. I would have thought by this point in this thread that word would have been avoided.

Ivensor and BalanceUT repped this.
  12. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quoting from the Squawka FAQ page:
    You love Opta, therefore you love Squawka.

SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  13. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I wondered if anyone would notice that I generalized in the exact same way as RaveGreen there. Maybe I should have qualified it by saying, "everyone who is not a Sounders fan hates Sounders fans." That would have been nearly 100% accurate. :)

BalanceUT repped this.
  14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stopped reading right here because you had the nerve to contradict yourself with your opening statement.
    That's bold

SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EVERYONE knows that Bradley was a billion times better of a pick-up (for less money) than Dempsey...

SpiffCoug, TheBiff, Jester4422 and 3 others repped this.
  16. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    (First off, this post is overly harsh out of necessity to drive the point home.)

You're probably the last of the Sounder's BS posters who continues to troll and post stupid drivel like this which makes EVERYONE outside of Seattle hate your team. You think it's envy or blindness.

No, it's you.
    We hate you.
    We hate your fanboy intrusions into EVERYONE else's conversations.
    We hate your inability to let anyone else have the last word.
    We hate your inability to listen.
    We hate that you, in your mind, are always right and always the best.

You aren't. Neither is the team you support.

Neither are we, nor our team.

You sully our experience with the Sounders so much that every time we hear or see anything associated with them, we immediately associate it with you, causing a visceral reaction of annoyance and disgust.

Why don't you go back to your Sounder's circle-jerk? I'm trying to eat.

And BTW, this message has the approval of NdGT. :cool:

realsparta, georg, TheBiff and 6 others repped this.