RSL 2014, Game 7: Portland Timbers at RSL, Saturday, April 19, 2014 @ 7:30 UDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by El-ahrairah, Apr 16, 2014.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was partial to the Nick Rimando chant when he went down with a knock late. There was a ton of nervous energy that all transformed to the chant. Really organic and awesome.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  2. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland's problems; yes, Wallace is good and missed. I don't think Alhassan is striking much fear in the heart of defenders. Nagbe and Valeri are good/very good, but easy enough to press them and neutralized their effectiveness. Not having that third threat also helps. For me another big difference is not having Ryan Johnson. Their system needs a target forward to hold play up and get the better attackers involved. Urruti is not going to be doing that. Can't figure out why they let Johnson go and got rid of Valencia. Seems like one of those two needs to be around. Put Johnson up top and Urruti as the other winger. That would be a much more dynamic and effective attack, IMO.

3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the attack works with Wallace.
    I was amazed how much they went to Nagbe in the first half and then in the second didn't try to utilize him nearly as much. He burned 3 RSL players on one dribble sequence. lucky for RSL nicky wasn't' having any of it.

4. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From my conversations with Timbers fans (who actually know what the ******** they're talking about when it comes to the game) this is the general consensus. While Wallace was a threat, he was more of a magician (as in he loved to pull a disappearing act a lot). A majority feel that losing Ryan Johnson was/is the cause of their offensive problems. Also they didn't get rid of Valencia, they loaned him out to some South American team, they apparently still own his rights.

The gig is up on Urruti, though, I have yet to speak to a single Timbers fan that likes that guy. He's a one trick pony and he doesn't even do that trick very well. He almost single-handedly is the root cause of most their ineffective attacks.

5. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill Reilly was saying that Cassar was clapping along to that chant.

Sabra and 15 to 32 repped this.
  6. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't see Valencia on the roster. Couldn't remember what I'd heard about him. Call him back up. He had promise. I think Urruti would look much better playing off of a target. Any way around it, their attack is broken and I'm glad :)

7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still can't believe Urutti tried to pick out the top corner on the 1v1 with Nicky. I was shocked when he did it against Seattle (that time it worked) and thought him really lucky. This game was exactly why you don't do that. Nothing is worse in a 1v1 with the goalie than missing the entire goal. Make Rimando make a save, Urutti. If he was on my team, I would have booed him til I went hoarse.

8. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Some fans do that already
    [​IMG]
    Yes I know you didn't misspell "hoarse"

SN14, 15 to 32, Ismitje and 2 others repped this.
  9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. That's a "harse". Get to know your Utah dialect.

TheBiff and 15 to 32 repped this.
  10. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    They only make the beer taste better.

11. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Sadly my daughter has reached the self-conscious teenager stage and horse sightings may be more rare. I still bring it to the games just in case...

12. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rimando up for Save of the Week (twice!) and Grabavoy up for Goal of the Week. I voted for Rimando's save on Fernandez and of course Grabavoy's goal. Rimando will probably win the Save of the Week but I think Martins will win the Goal of the Week just because Cletus Dempsey assisted on it and they are from Seattle.

14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if you're on the twitter there is a pretty big "meltdown" going on between timber and RSL fans. Timber fans are upset that RSL fans took a shot at them with their tifo instead of being supportive of their own team. I get where they are coming from, but the whine doesn't have enough cheese so it's unbearable.

15. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Yeah, because tifo like "Gut the fish" and references to Flounders is always soooo respectful during those Cascadia Cup matches...

Sabra, realsparta and 15 to 32 repped this.
  16. gretnapie

gretnapie Member

Jun 23, 2008
    nr gretna
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Heading for the donkey route at little early this season arn't we.?

17. gretnapie

gretnapie Member

Jun 23, 2008
    nr gretna
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [quote="georg, post: 29990209, because Seba did not close space on the attacker before his shot.
    I think some more time on the pitch will help get Seba back in the form he showed during last seasons playoff run.[/quote]

I support this entirely as it is very much in line with what I posted. Yes 15to22 kids get one trick and do it for as long as it works, sometimes years, in the end they rarely make the grade. Once they are passed 16 a coach should be able to coach it out of them. Seb is more than a one trick circus performer and just needs time in the team. - unless there's some other issues I don't know about

Delete

18. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    "You don't attack other teams"

*elaborate tifo organized by the timber's army shows them chopping down the space needle*

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

15 to 32 and UPinSLC repped this.
  19. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Have these people seriously never seen tifo from around the world?
    Oh yeah, we're talking about Cascadia, of course they haven't.

20. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was going to say, the Timbers have PLENTY of tifo's openly attacking Seattle.

21. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'It's a good thing we're never subjective like those other dumb ********s."
    - every asshole in the entire world

Lizzie Bee, 15 to 32, rslfanboy and 2 others repped this.
  22. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like you should stop taking her to games until she wears the mask again. ;)

The Timbers meltdown is just hilarious. It's hard to complain when they do the same thing. Something about pots meeting glass kettle houses.

acima repped this.
  23. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    He was yelling at Seba for not marking the guy after the turnover. Nearly led to a goal.

24. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still think he should have been yelling at Kyle instead.

25. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What came first the chicken or the egg?