RSL 2014, Game 3: LA at Salt Lake, Sat 22 Mar 2:00 MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by elkaholic, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Yeah, but Russell wasn't exactly a lock-down defender. His offensive contributions were great, but there was definitely a tradeoff.

There's probably always going to be a tradeoff, I guess.

BalanceUT and 15 to 32 repped this.
  2. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    I wonder how much cash would really be necessary. Isn't there probably a decent, young wingback playing in Argentina or Brazil who could be had for ~$500k/year? Or even $350k/year, but with a more serious transfer fee? I hear that MLS is paying those nowadays.

15 to 32 repped this.
  3. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Russell was playing Olave was in his prime and Borchers was also excellent. Remember how they were two of the 3 defender of the year (2010? I think) nominees? Prime Olave and Borchers can do a lot of covering for less than stellar outside backs.

A few months ago I was hoping RSL would make a play for Beasley when he was between contracts. Offer to play him at LB, get experience there for the upcoming WC. I doubt he would have taken it as he seemed set on staying in Mexico, but I liked the idea. Also, I wouldn't be opposed to looking into Castillo. Clearly not a lock down defender but serviceable (especially at MLS level) and very creative in the attack.

I'm not opposed to changing tactics as well. Likely would need to drop Ned and Javi... Don't really have the motor/range needed. You could do a Seba, KB, Gil, Mulholland midfield. I think that could we effective.

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing about getting a good offensive wing back is that it forces the other team to respect them. As of now, other teams don't fear our outside backs going forward. Thus, they throw numbers at us and let them come up the wing. They know they'll eventually cut back or find a middy.

When we had Russell, it force the opposing team to at least keep an eye on him. His defense wasn't stellar, but he wasn't going to be on an island as much because if he was allowed to open on a counter the other team was screwed.

I agree with what @Ivensor said about if you had to chose what they were good at preferring it to be defense. However, I don't think we should pay the amount of cash we are for these 2 outside backs we currently have and have no realistic offensive from them at all.

5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hold up, did you just say to drop ned and javi because they don't have the motor and then recommend Seba as a replacement? Have you watched Vela play? Dude is slow. Damn good on the ball, but slow.

An overhaul would mean dropping a guy like Ned and/or Javi and bringing in new faces.

6. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it's in writing so I can't deny it. Seba is slow but I'd guess he's still faster than Ned/Javi. Reality is, we've spent that last 6 years trying to get midfielders who are suited to play in the tight diamond. How many decent players have we let go just because they don't fit this system? So yes it would take a pretty massive overhaul. If we were to do it, what I suggested would be step 1.

On a somewhat related note; I've wondered for a while now if Gil is yet another midfielder who isn't suited for our system. He does well enough because of his overall quality, but I wonder how he would look else where, alla WIll Johnson...

7. WasatchDuck

WasatchDuck Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Downtown
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Absolutely in my opinion. I know he is young but we keep waiting for him to break out and it just doesn't seem like it's gonna happen.

What did we play in that game against vancouver right before the USOCF? Gil really shined in that game.

Also, did we move sections for the away support or was there just no LA away?

edit: I'll admit right away that I am not expert on the game and have only followed soccer since 2010/2011 when I moved to SLC - but doesn't Portland play a somewhat similar system to RSL or no?

8. RSLintheWoods

RSLintheWoods Member

Mar 25, 2013
    The Great Outdoors
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I believe that Javi was rested that game and Gil was playing Javi's position. One of the problems with Gil's development is that he is practicing and playing two different positions. In senior team games he is playing as a box to box midfielder, whereas in practice and in reserve league games he is playing the attacking midfield role. The reason to keep Gil around even if he is not having 'breakout' years is that he is the current heir apparent to Javi. He has looked decent in his few opportunities to play the position (last year vs. Van and this year vs. SJE, at least the first half.) Javi is not getting younger and the bet is that a year or two down the line when Javi's playing time diminishes that Gil will be ready to step in seamlessly into that role. That goal, in my mind, is more important than his present role with the team.

9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, its not strange at all. Our opponents WANT Wingert to have the ball. Its really that simple. In the last couple of seasons he has tended to go into panic mode when pressured. He'll pass it to anybody with the same jersey he's wearing, even if the intended target is triple teamed. I can remember when Wingert would move the ball down the field, juke a defender here or there to make space and send some decent balls into the box. I haven't seen that in a long time.

Lizzie Bee, Jester4422 and JLaw repped this.
  10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When we played in the game up at Vancouver there were a lot of things that were "different" than with the typical first team. The most obvious was the people on the pitch.
    1. You had a lot of young guys out there busting their asses to show they deserve to be on the team and maybe more first team minutes. That alone raised the level of play.
    2. Further, you had a wing back in Palmer stretching teams wide. This opened up the midfield a bit more.
    3. Dunny was quick to point this out during the game, the gap between the Vancouver D and their midfield was about 10-20 yards wide. This allowed Gil to just sit in and have time and space on the ball. That doesn't happen against other teams.
    4. Teams that scout us well clog that area of the pitch as that is where Javi can do the most damage. They'll force us into wide positions (see Palmers play) and essentially say "if you're going to beat us, it's going to be with width"

So while Gil had a great game, it was partly because Vancouver had a horrible approach to defending us. Also, the unsung hero in that game was Cole Grossman. He was doing the work of Ned Grabavoy AND Kyle Beckerman. It was crazy how much pitch he covered during the game.

11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the LA away support (rightfully) spent their funds on travel to Tijuana instead of Salt Lake this year.
    That or they're saving it for the final leg

12. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Yeah, Salt Lake in March doesn't seem to have much draw, unless you like late-season skiing.

13. gretnapie

gretnapie Member

Jun 23, 2008
    nr gretna
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I think you're being a bit harsh on Wingert I believe he knows his limitations and plays to them. He is never going to chase the line to put over the cross because he has to pull it on to his right foot, so edge of the box is his absolute limit. ( if he just smacks the ball at goal instead of trying to find a forward he may well score - or the forwards can pick up the bits from a block). It also depends on whose around him, he combines better with Javi & Kyle than with Luis or Ned

If I have got a criticism of Wingert it's the number of heavy tackles going I is on the increase, with leaves him open to bookings or being stepped around. Timing is everything and an experienced player should be able to engineer the moment to take the ball without committing themselves to heavy tackles which tend not to have a plan B