RSL 2014, Game 2: Salt Lake at San Jose, Sat 15 Mar 8:30 MST

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Mar 9, 2014.

1. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, you quoted it so you'd have to look at it again… well done! LOL!

2. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, just getting me fired up for munday morning, need something to the blood going today.

BalanceUT repped this.
  3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted my 15 thoughts on my blog thingy

some points I want to bring up in this discussion:
    1. Nick Rimando is God... but he sure as hell struggles in owning his box. His punch on the last goal was weak as shit. Maybe it's a foul, but I seriously doubt you'll see a ref anywhere call that. Nicky doesn't own his box and it reallly kills this team when we try to lock down
    2. Shea Salinas was pulling Arjen Robbens all night and Tony Beltran was stupid enough to bite on it. HE ISN"T GOING TO GO LEFT TONY!!! STOP GIVING HIM THE MIDDLE OF THE ********ING FIELD!!!
    3. Remember how I said we wouldn't win this game without Schuler. This is why. We have no idea how to close out a game on a team that can cross/head well.
    4. Cassar's subs sucked, but his hands got tied, too. Grossman made sense to an extent but it just made us more narrow. Allen was a miss. And Salcedo came in to a situation he was never going to do well in.
    5. Honestly, nobody in the offensive aspect of RSL had a good second half. Gil, Grabavoy, Mulhollan, Allen, Grossman, Plata, Saborio all were shit to close the game.
    6. Lastly, the headers sucked, but the pressure on the crosses to get there was horrendous. PRESS THE BALL

d1ddy, BalanceUT and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  4. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Not to mention that on the last goal, there are more Hosers in the box than RSL people. If you don't press it, at least clog the crap out of it.

Ismitje and 15 to 32 repped this.
  5. Battler

Battler Member

Aug 30, 2007
    The crappy thing about dropping this game the way we did is that even though Wondo was likely offside on the first goal, it's been forgotten because it was overshadowed by our inability to hold a two goal lead at the end.

6. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    True...but a very difficult call to make. Very hard for the AR to both see the flick, and know the flick was from an offensive player, all while watching the runs through the box.

7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose was going to score in the early going one way or another.
    That it came on an offside goal sucks, but the amount of space we were giving up around our own box was baffling.

8. RSL GO YES

RSL GO YES Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I know it feels like a loss and you guys are upset, but look at it this way:

We gave up two points in the dying seconds of the match. An extra two points last year would have put us in the CCL.

Wait, that made you feel worse?

;)

Allez RSL repped this.
  9. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of stuff that makes me want to punch my computer screen...

jessyca repped this.
  10. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In terms of RSL's development as a team I could care less about Wondo being offside on his goal. What does concern me is that he was so ********ing wide open. The book has been written on Wondo, everyone and their dead grandma knows what needs to be done, it includes ONE bullet point:

"MAINTAIN A TIGHT MARK."

That's it, you give the guy space and he'll find a way to bury it. His entire goal scoring game is dependent on being in the right place at the right time and finishing around goal when lazy defenders give him too much space. In the replay it's Wingert who absolutely blows his mark on Wondo, he freaking lines up against Wondo on the wrong side and then lets Wondo get even more free as the free kick is taken. Sabo ends up getting shielded by Borcher's while marking Bernardez who flicks on towards goal and Wondo is wide open to redirect off his thigh.

11. Speedybacon

Speedybacon Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Orem, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at the positives. Rsl id in the lad for the west. 2 points back on the supporters shield. The west is ours to lose! I'm really nervous about the la game on Saturday. I don't think our defense is ready for the attack of la.

12. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our defense was ready for the attack of LA a week ago, what's changed?

13. Speedybacon

Speedybacon Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Orem, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are going to be all butt hurt for giving up 2 goals at the end of the game and won't be able to bounce back. This is my opinion. I'm a pessimist.

14. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Hmmmm…Maund, Morales, Allen and perhaps even Rimando all hurt now besides the people that missed the first two games (Schuler)

15. Immanuel Kant

Immanuel Kant Member

Aug 8, 2006
    Sandy
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Meh, for some reason Lenhart just doesn't get me all that worked up. Obviously the reds/pks wouldn't go away with Lenhart, but he can do something most of our players can't and that is to pull cards and pks. I don't understand why we get so many reds/pks compared to other teams for what seem like less fouling by our side. Maybe other teams actually practice dives and drawing reds on the opponent where its against our philosophy-I sure don't know

16. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is it shouldn't have come down to Nick owning his box. The two clearances before the goal barely made it past the 18. If you can't clear the ball, just put it out of bounds. I blame that goal on the failed clearances more than I do Nick's failed punch. Our defenders have to do better at clearing the ball.

RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true, but it doesn't free Nick of blame.
    It was a team meltdown late. There wasn't a single RSL player that had a good game after the 70th minute in this game. Everyone and everything went to shit

RoyalNonesuch and SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  18. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100% agree.

19. TheRustyEunuch

Oct 16, 2007
    Medellín
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Well i didnt think he should have been out there week one either if that makes you feel any better.

20. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. We get to see Salcedo vs. Keane again. We might get royally thumped Saturday.