RSL 2014, Game 2: Salt Lake at San Jose, Sat 15 Mar 8:30 MST

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Opening game for the folks in San Jose. Game two for the good guys.

2. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL vs. the Northern California Thug Squad! I hate Douchehart. If he's still playing for San Jose, I hate San Jose. I hate San Jose more than any other team in MLS, I think. (I would say I hate the cRapids more, but there's some weird variation of Stolkholm Syndrome going on while I work on C10. However, given their recent AMAZING coaching decision, I predict the hatred will flow more than ever soon. In the meantime...)

San Jose is the douchiest pack of douche players in the league. If we lose to them, I'm going to boycott RSL for SIX SOLID days.

TheBiff, BalanceUT and ccb1212 repped this.
  3. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I feel like Saborio should get more chances in this game without Omar marking him. I remember in our last season opener he scored a brace against SJ once Plata came on. (and when Beckerman decided he didn't need to look to pass) Having Plata start again with him should work great as long as he doesn't get fouled into the ground.

Who do we play next to borchers this time? As much as I'd love to think Schuler or KWS only needed one more week of healing before being 100% ready to go, I know that's probably not true. Do we stick with Maund after his decent performance or switch to Salcedo now that we don't have to worry about Keane?

As for the midfield, it might be a jerk reaction but starting Mulholland over Gil might help our play.
    Hopefully last game isn't going to be the norm for Gil, he needs to stop disappearing during games this season.

My Prediction:
    • 104 thousand fouls on Javi
    • Beckerman gets carded for shouting at the ref after he doesn't card a douchquake for slide tackling Rimando from behind.
    • The commentators call RSL thugs.
    • Gravaboy scores from 45 yards.
    • Gravaboys's goal is called offsides.
    2-1 SanJose
    With Lenhart getting a brace and an owngoal.

d1ddy, Lizzie Bee and nfc1432 repped this.
  4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Keane had anything to do with the decision to play/not play Salcedo. It was purely a "who has been better so far" decision. Maund was strong in pre season from everything I saw/read. He earned it. It would make zero sense to take it away from him unless Schuler was fully fit. He's not. Maund should keep the position.

I don't think Grabavoy can hit a ball 45 yards with any power...

5. ShaggyReAL

ShaggyReAL Awesome is my middle name

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the power Joao Plata has on his shot, why can't other players do they same? Most shots from RSL look weak as hell.

I would start the exact same lineup as long as injuries aren't a problem.

15 to 32 and SoccerPrime repped this.
  6. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My biggest problem with Gil. The kid has loads of talent, and has felt like he's been on the verge of breaking out the last couple years and it hasn't happened. I have this gut feeling that while he should be doing a lot better, he's going to peak around the level he's at now. I'm not sure if it's him, or how we play, but I just feel like he's not playing as good as he could be.

Sabra repped this.
  7. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    My biggest concern is that if Friend got the soft PK last Saturday for such a sub-par acting job, how are the replacement ref's going to call the flop-clinic duo of Lenhart and Wondo?

8. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    8-0 dopequacks on 12 yellows on RSL because of San Jokers diving, leaving RSL 3 men short. Oh and one of the yellows is on Rimando for diving (at the ball).

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  9. nfc1432

nfc1432 Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    One of those will be on Javi for "diving" after getting hacked for the 5th time and never getting a call, or card against SJ

10. FC-Sky11

FC-Sky11 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone else have a really hard time getting excited for games against the quakes? Their style of play, a few certain players and their general douchebaggery really makes it hard to watch.
    Hopefully the replacement ref will set the tone somewhat strict, and do it early.

11. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    You forgot to mention the awful SJ announcers. Really hoping that we get the RSL broadcast on MLS Live for this one.

FC-Sky11 and 15 to 32 repped this.
  12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't forget their lovely stadium.
    Once they move maybe things will turn for the whole club. The setting of that shitty stadium on a college campus just seems to set the tone for how the night is going to go when you play them.

FC-Sky11 repped this.
  13. FC-Sky11

FC-Sky11 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yes, the announcers: Derp and Derp jr. Can't stand those guys... As for the stadium, yeah it's bush league, but their new stadium should do wonders, at least for the appearance of the club.

14. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On DirecTV it indicated what broadcast crew was used for each game.

15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor has it SJ has a new broadcast crew.

16. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Makes sense if they're trying to rebrand.

FC-Sky11 repped this.
  17. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    It'll be composed of Christian Miles and Jim Rome.

Probably won't be worse than the previous guys.

15 to 32 repped this.
  18. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I didn't know Wondo had a rep for diving.

15 to 32 and Allez RSL repped this.
  19. Speedybacon

Speedybacon Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Orem, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is anyone else watching San Jose tonight in the CCL game. It is hard for me to watch because they are always exactly the same. They get beat to the ball.. they fall down and cry. They get the ball stolen... they fall down and cry. They just pretty much fall down and cry for everything. It is ridiculous. I hope the refs don't buy into their crap and effect the outcome of the game too much on Saturday. Sorry for the rant

20. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw other MLS fans saying they'd cheer them on for the sake of the league.

I. Just. Cannot. Do. It.

Under. Any. Circumstances.

TheBiff, PumaJohnny, 15 to 32 and 4 others repped this.
  21. ravi

ravi Member

Jun 20, 2012
    park city
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw the match against Toluca - Ignoring the issues with San Jose and their history - they did work hard for 94 minutes, and once Toluca started to play defensive and keep ball San Jose became much more dangerous. The possession worked out to about 70-30 against SJ. Hope we don't try to Bunker and do try to score since bunkering helps SJ attack and fire in crosses and hope for foul calls to go their way.

pate and Allez RSL repped this.
  22. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully 94 minutes of hard work on Tuesday means tired legs this weekend.

23. nfc1432

nfc1432 Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    What would this mean in terms of SJ playing? Would it mean their dives won't be as crisp? Their hacks won't be as sharp? Their overall thuggery wont be as quick? Just wondering what to look for on Saturday. Does this mean they foul less because they don't get to the play or they foul harder/more often because they are just late to the play?

TheBiff, BalanceUT and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  24. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    We have new announcers this year.

25. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    He doesn't.