RSL 2014, Game 1: Salt Lake at LA, Sat 8 Mar 8:30 MST

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Duiz

Duiz Member

Apr 10, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #176 Duiz, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    I felt that the substitutions by Cassar were odd. I can find that he is trying to pump the new kids, but the language of Gil walking out of the feel didn't seem like the normal RSL vibe you get. Plus, knowing the enormity of the game and needing to close it out, you don't put an 18 year old kid out there.

2. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MLS Live color guy (Jones?) said it best. To paraphrase, LA was extremely lucky to get this call. Friend played the Ref on that one.

BalanceUT and d1ddy repped this.
  3. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville
    I thought that Mulholland made a quick impact on the game. Also when Allen got the ball, he did exactly what he was suppose to, by killing the ball in the corner. Even the Grossman sub I felt was a good one. I liked all three subs.

4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question for me is if this was exclusively a Plata thing, or something in the tactics of Cassar/Dalglish that differs from what Kreis typically employed.

5. Sabra

Sabra Member

Oct 4, 2010
    I feel that JK would've been so frustrated by the Mulholland goal being called back that he would've infected the players and they would've stopped playing for a bit. JC didn't throw a tantrum and moved on and so did the players.

SoccerPrime repped this.
  6. Duiz

Duiz Member

Apr 10, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In hindsight, they seem like good substitutions. I don't take that away.
    But for example, why Allen over Garcia?
    I am interested in knowing as well, who is our defensive mid when Kyle is not there anymore? Was that Grossman?

7. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Yes. Apparently he has been since the end of last year when he suited up in front of alvarez.

8. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked the subs. I would have kept Gil on and subbed Grabavoy myself.

LA created EVERYTHING on the counter and/or from the space in front of our back wall. What Mulholland and Grossman were clearly tasked with was closing out passers in those spaces, or taking away the outside-line-to-corner-of-the-box pass they so deliberately tried to create again and again.

For my money, Cassar saw a hot spot in his head and threw bodies at it. I'm cool with that.

RSLer, BalanceUT and Ismitje repped this.
  9. nfc1432

nfc1432 Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    BAH, I just went over to LAs board cause its usually fun reading how awful life is for them. Aside from one post that said LA was clearly the better team (not sure how you can clearly be better when rules state one team is defined as being better by scoring more goals. The ref screwed us out of one and tried to gift LA one and they still lost. You can cite all the stats in the world, the better team won), everyone there was positive about their performance and credited Nick for a great game. General level headed-ness, some even saying the PK was weak and they are glad the ref didn't screw us out of 3 points. BORING. I want DOOM and GLOOM. To any LA fans that might be reading this, BigSoccer isn't a place for reasonable ideas typed up in a positive, well thought out way. Its to take one result and blow it out of proportion and assume the same outcomes the rest of the year. Part of the joy of winning is seeing the other fans suffer and you ruined it for me. Thanks a lot;)

stucknutah, 15 to 32, BalanceUT and 2 others repped this.
  10. ShaggyReAL

ShaggyReAL Awesome is my middle name

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckerman totally lost his USMNT spot after this game. Poor guy.

BalanceUT and UPinSLC repped this.
  11. standard

standard Member

Aug 10, 2009
    central Illinois
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im proud of the team. It may have been 11 v 14 with the refs doing everything they could to give LA the game but RSL stuck to it and pulled out the win.

Hail Cassar!

12. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    The two frustrations with the reffing:
    1. The Mulholland goal called back
    2. The yellows given to RSL vs. the hard tackles by LA that weren't given a yellow.
    I don't like the penalty call, but it honestly could have gone either way.

13. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The main referee difference between last night and a PRO-officialed game is that the PRO linesman would have wrongly called Plata offsides on his goal.

standard, 15 to 32 and pcny repped this.
  14. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The times I've gone to the LA boards, they generally seem level headed and not overly homer. If you want that, check out SJ. :D

15 to 32 repped this.
  15. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not going to bother commenting on the crap reffing decisions, what I am going to comment on is the utter lack of yellow cards on the LAG. How did Riley stay on the field? He had 2 or 3 yellow worthy tackles (on top of his yellow professional foul) in the first half alone. Several tackles on Morales with some not even called left me scratching my head. And seemingly every type of foul called on RSL was completely ignored on the other side.

Having said that, the defending and midfield was a cluster******** at times, lots of cheaply given away turnovers. I thought Maund acquitted himself well given his lack of experience. But we gave up A LOT of chances to LA and without Nick's heroics we might have lost this one badly. Lots of work to do still, but about what I'd expect from a team with a new coach in their first game back.

Beltran was really poor, his side got ABUSED in the first half and his passing/service was pretty terrible.

d1ddy, 15 to 32 and BalanceUT repped this.
  16. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    ...and the ball...

17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #192 15 to 32, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    uh... what?
    The subs won the game. Like has been said, I maybe would have taken of Ned instead of Gil. But in the end, those guys won the game.

Mulholland came on as the diamond needed some energy
    - he brought it

Grossman came on as Javi's ankles couldn't take another Sarvas tackle that went without a card somehow. he settled the game in
    - check

Jordan Allen came on to give us a player that could burst the ball forward, but also put in defensive work. Switching our lineup to a 4-5-1.
    - check

Cassar's subs were spot on. They earned us the goal and didn't allow LA to win the midfield at the end like they wanted. Yeah, Gil looked pissed to be coming off, but that's what happens when you disappear from the game for so long like he does.

d1ddy, standard, DrownedElf and 8 others repped this.
  18. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was impressed with how intelligent Allen was with the ball. Most 18 year old kids would have taken a chance at goal in that situation. It was very smart of him to take it into the corner. The kid seems very mature for his age.

15 to 32, BalanceUT and Ismitje repped this.
  19. FC-Sky11

FC-Sky11 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked the subs, and agree with what 15 said above.
    Just because they weren't the subs Kreis would've used doesn't mean they were poor or strange. I celebrate the differences!

20. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Gil really wants to be the man out there, but disappears at times, and the 2nd half was a prime example. As mentioned, Mulholland saw more of the ball and was way more dangerous is his small amount of time than Gil showed the whole game.

As a quick aside, just a pet peeve, I hate it when people say it SHOULD have been 2-0...if the first goal had counted, it is extremely unlikely RSL would have continued attacking, so the Plata goal wouldn't have happened. Congrats to RSL for just ignoring what may have been the worst offside / phantom foul call we may see this year and going out and getting the goal. Nice composure from Plata (something he was NOT known for last year).

rslfanboy, 15 to 32, realsparta and 4 others repped this.
  21. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But why would the SJ boards be talking about RSL beating the Gals?

22. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, you could see him going through that thought process as well and he made the right choice taking it to the flag. He had some pretty good moves to get the ball and himself into space on the sideline to get to the flag as well. I was pretty impressed with the kid.

23. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2014-3-10_13-6-20.png

Well, I guess that's one way to put it. Not the right way, but ...

24. RSL Punk 2

RSL Punk 2 Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah, but "Keane gets stuffed . . ." means something a little different over there.

Allez RSL repped this.
  25. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States