RSL 2013 SuperDraft thread (now with Supplemental Draft coverage, too!)

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Scottt1115

Scottt1115 Member

Sep 14, 2003
    SLC, UT
    I promise that they don't have anyone we want....

SoccerPrime repped this.
  2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we traded three picks to get the pick to get the New Mexico forward? We must not be impressed with what will be left in the Supplemental Draft. Welcome Mr. Sandoval.

3. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Devon Sandoval (F - New Mexico) is RSL's pick after trading Philly to move up two spots. And there's your fourth striker.

4. ShaggyReAL

ShaggyReAL Awesome is my middle name

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) Sabo.
    2) MLS Forward
    3) Findley
    4) Sandoval.

right?

5. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except for item #2

6. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just found out that no allocation money changed hands as part of that trade with Philly - it was a straight pick-for-pick swap. RSL gave up its second-rounder and two supplemental draft picks.

7. Liv34s0ccer

Liv34s0ccer Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    i agree #2 will come from somewhere else but is it out of the question that RSL rosters 5 fwds this year?

8. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely not out of the question. Garth told me yesterday that he expected RSL to add "at least" two more forwards. Not sure if Sandoval counts. If he does, that leaves at least one more to add, and I strongly believe that player is not an MLS player. If they are going to add two more strikers, I think one will be from outside MLS and one will be one of those "MLS retreads" some of you so despise.

9. ShaggyReAL

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hallelujah.

I thought you said a while back RSL was looking to get one forawrd from mls and one from abroad. I'm glad I was wrong.

10. ShaggyReAL

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once this draft is over do all the players in the pool go into the supplemental draft?

11. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bottom line: If they add one more, I'd bet a large sum that he's an international. If they add two more, I think one is an international and one is from within MLS (but I think the lion's share of money would be spent on the international, not the MLS guy...that probably rules out this Hassli rumor).

12. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scouting report on Sandoval...I like these because they are balanced (hitting both the player's negatives and positives)"

"Target player. Back to goal ... A young man that knows what he's good at and does it as good as anybody ... Never see him try to beat guys on the dribble or do scissors moves. He holds the ball, gets shots off in tight spaces, wins headers ... Physically extremely, extremely strong ... You're not going to see a stronger person ... Throw-ins and goal kicks and everyrthing runs off of him back to goal. Can hold the ball up against anybody ... He does not turn the ball over ... Makes everyone around him better ... First year he was OK, identified what he needed to work on and was tremendous the last two years … Stepped it up in 2012 with his commitment. Can hold the ball and bring guys into the game … Intelligent with his positioning ... Great target at 6-foot-2, 190-pounds ... Moves well, very fit and great feet ... Unique player ... Good in the air, not dominant and can finish with both feet ... One thing he does have that I have not seen in anybody since Billy Schuler is his ability to play back to goal. Good at it. Lays ball off ... Strong and good in the air ... Not the most mobile guy. If he's the one guy up there he'll never play behind defenses ... Good feet, good size … Could be a Stephen Lenhart-type … Clever with a good first touch and nose for goal … Shows for the ball well ... A little bit one-dimensional ... Step slow but quite good."

13. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he's almost got the hair down.

[​IMG]

14. bordelais7

bordelais7 Member

May 13, 2003
    Centreville, VA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    So decent soccer foundation with the potential to become a douche. I guess you can't expect miracles out of the second round.

MOS5 repped this.
  15. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting tidbit - the final pick of the draft is the only one who's photo showed up on the draft tracker. Is this to make him feel better about being picked last? :eek:

Link

16. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    We drafted Sabo?

15 to 32 repped this.
  17. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or someone for Sabo to train to replace Sabo down the road?

18. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Sam asked him about this assessment after the draft. He gave a good politically-correct answer: I respect Lenhart but I want to forge my own identity as a player.

I get the feeling this kid is super driven. I hope that means he's going to work hard and it doesn't mean he's going to go all John Wayne on the pitch and pick up red cards or break legs.

19. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    This is one of the most repetitive and confusing "scouting reports" that I've read...

Back to the goal... yeah after the 4th time I get it!
    Wins headers/Good in the air... check that (like 3 times)
    Holds the ball... with as much talk about holding the ball it makes me wonder if he could pass it...

Plus, this scouting report mentions that he "moves well" and has "great feet" yet at the end they mention he'd never get behind defenses, not the most mobile guy, and that he is a step slow.

HUH?!?!

This should be called "a not so well thought out hodge-podge of words". Perhaps it's easier to just call it a scouting report.

15 to 32, georg and Ismitje repped this.
  20. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    That's one of the hopes. Plus having a similar style player to sub for Sabo means we don't have to change style entirely when Sabo is out (e.g. WCF). The write-up of Saboval - er - Sandoval just sounds so much like Sabo.

15 to 32 repped this.
  21. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I have no idea if this is true, but when I read this one (and a few others) I assumed that it was a compilation of comments by various scouts. Hence, the repetition and sometimes inconsistent assessments.

22. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What they do is have the scouts from every team make written evaluations of every player at the combine. These reports are a collection of all comments made about the player. That's why many of them say the same thing, and also why some of them are contradictory.

As an aside: If professional scouts look at the same player and see completely opposite things (read Stertzer's scouting report), I guess fans should be cut a bit of slack when they see complete opposites as well.

23. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Well hells bells! That makes more sense to me now.

o_O

24. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So for me the best news of this day was Morales. He will again pull the strings for RSL and at 33 I think he will do it well.
    Have really no clue about our signings today, can only hope at least one of the two can be as promising as Valazquez.
    Now we wait for the real news, will our club spend what it takes to bring in that No. 1 striker we desperately need?

25. Liv34s0ccer

Liv34s0ccer Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    wait did RSL trade Saborio? i thought were looking for a #2 to compliment Sabo.