RSL 2013 SuperDraft thread (now with Supplemental Draft coverage, too!)

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Nov 21, 2012.

1. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    I really miss the streaming matches from the Combine. That really had me interested in the Superdraft last year. I don't really follow college soccer, and that was a good way to get up to speed. I guess we'll just have to rely on others opinions and a few clips this time.

Most of these mock drafts are useless, especially the early ones.

15 to 32 and Ismitje repped this.
  2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have they explained why they aren't streaming them this year?
    Cost?

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably something to do with Beckham leaving and cutting costs...

4. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simon Borg tweeted that it had to do with the times the games were playing. They'd be competing with European games on Saturday mornings, and the other games are weekday mornings. But, Borg does often say some pretty stupid stuff...

5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um.... weren't they at the exact same time last year

6. SALTLAKEJAKE

SALTLAKEJAKE Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Sugarhood
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've read a lot about this guy and I could see us going for him if he didn't have to take up an international spot.

7. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Jason Saghini, mlssoccer.com's video editor mentioned that it's due to a poor following over the last two years. He blames lack of demand.

The interesting part is that I remember watching one game last year and they blamed the frequent lag on the high number of people streaming the match. Hmm...

They also streamed the games from the Tucson tournament. I hope this doesn't mean that's off the table as well.

8. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    MLS preview of RSL's draft interests is up - http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft...salt-lake-superdraft-preview-finding-help-top

Interesting that they don't list JJ Johnson in the forwards list. Wonder if that is because of Johnson's weak showing at camp or do they have more details on RSL coaches activities and interest at the combine? They must also assume Manneh will be gone by our #12 pick comes around, since he's

They've got left back as the third interest area. I would think attacking mid could be the other area - I think assuming Viana is the only backup there is premature. They show Gil on the flank mid role now, not the #10 from last year.

9. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm actually bummed that Manneh had such a good combine...now he's on everyone's radar. Yesterday an anonymous GM called him "by far the most exciting player at the combine." Before the combine I heard he might fall as far as #20. Now every team is on him like a dog on a rib roast and I think he's gone in the top 10 for sure. RSL may end up settling for Finley.

10. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Is it the head that bobbles on that item?

15 to 32 and lurpythepirate repped this.
  11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its going to be rough to have Finley and Findley playing for RSL.

I would think that with Jamaican Andy Williams as the head of domestic scouting that any Reggae boy in the draft will be target numero uno.

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ives reported again today that RSL is looking to move up in the draft. I can't recall if he was the source of that comment the other time, or if this is a second outlet reporting the same thing.

13. Jester4422

Jester4422 Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Who could we possibly be moving up for and what will we be giving up if we do?

14. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I'm sure it'd be to improve the odds on getting a Generation Adidas striker - e.g. Manneh, Johnson, Zavaleta or Brown. Almost all projections show none of them will likely make it to #12, getting snapped up by ~#10. I think RSL's experience with Gil will have them interested in good players for 'free' with the GA status.

15. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    I know from a previous discussion that RSL really likes Zavaleta (former RSL-AZ academy product), but then again who doesn't like him?

Also, keep in mind that Garth's philosophy is not to draft for position through the draft, but to always pick the best available player.

16. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we are getting another defender;)

17. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A combo up front of a yet to be named Columbian/international striker 1. Sabo 2. Findley 3. And a generation Adidas striker in the four slot would be interesting.

SALTLAKEJAKE repped this.
  18. elrey

elrey Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    according to MLS Savaleta is listed as a D/F.

19. Black Prince

Black Prince Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    If RSL is looking to move up, then Garth must have his sights on a particular player then. Interesting.

20. standard

standard Member

Aug 10, 2009
    central Illinois
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how come RSL cant seem to land any of these academy guys on Homegrown contracts?

21. elrey

elrey Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Some because RSL offers them the Min. wage and they know the wont even get close to being in the frist 18 for 2 to 3 years, the way JK runs the team. One more RSL is not LA.

22. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garth just taught me two things about GA I didn't know...thought I'd share it with you all:

1. RSL's supplemental roster (i.e. the part that doesn't count against the cap) is currently full. GA players automatically go to the supplemental roster, so if RSL picks a GA player in the draft, it would bump a salaried player onto the senior roster and the player would count against the cap. So drafting a GA player provides no advantage to RSL vs. drafting a non-GA...so he said GA status won't be a consideration for the draft.
    2. When a player graduates from GA (like Luis Gil just did), his full salary doesn't immediately go onto the books. Apparently the league subsidizes it for some period (he didn't say how much or how long) to ease the "sticker shock" of a well-paid GA player suddenly going on the books.

BalanceUT, SoccerPrime, 15 to 32 and 3 others repped this.
  23. elrey

elrey Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    does anybody know how long the HG players salary stay of the books?

24. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. It's amazing how many salary rules and loopholes there are.

15 to 32 repped this.
  25. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    IBIK - great info. Two things -
    1. I don't recall seeing any official statement on that Luis' 'graduation' from GA, so that's the first confirmation of that rumor I've seen.
    2. If he has graduated, who took his spot - Attinella? Salcedo?