RSL 2013 SuperDraft thread (now with Supplemental Draft coverage, too!)

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Plus, we just can't have Robbie Findley and Ryan Finley on the same team. All of the bobblehead's heads will explode.

15 to 32 repped this.
  2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finley passes to Findley
    which, in a Utah accent, sounds exactly the same

3. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That'd make that commentator on the CCL's job a lot easier. I remember one sequence where it was Beckerman to Beckerman to Beckerman and it was three different players.

15 to 32 repped this.
  4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Realization that we don't have CCL this year
    :(

5. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luckily I'm not from Utah so I actually sound like a normal American. j/k

Were the other two players Tony Rimando and Jaymison Olav?

6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tony Rimando
    As if Nicky needed to be shorter...

Players with GA contracts, thus far, are:
    Walker Zimmerman, Defender

Andrew Farrell, Defender

Mikey Lopez, Midfielder
    Can't find a video

Jason Johnson, Forward

- Highlighted him earlier in the thread, still really like his physical attributes and athleticism

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqHLUZAbzYA

DeShorn Brown, Forward
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42rqMUgg5rA
    - Andy use his Jamaica status to help on this one?

Kekuta Manneh, Forward
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6BjXEVozeM&feature=player_embedded
    - Best name in the draft, I don't care if it is properly pronounced sounding like "money" I'd call him that

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think any GAs will be around for pick #12? I'm doubtful.

8. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely. Last year there were 4 GA's still available at #12, and one even made it into the second round. In fact, every year since GA/Project 40 was created, there has been at least one available at #12 (according to my limited research).

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good then I hope it works out. However I believe this year's GA class is the the smallest ever possibly skewing your results.

10. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ives is reporting that the forwards, especially J.J. Johnson, have been struggling. I wonder if his stock is falling enough for us to snag him.

11. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was the smallest ever until the last four guys were signed the other day. It's still a small class but not the smallest. Anything could happen but I'd bet a considerable sum that there's a GA available when RSL picks. I'd also bet that RSL takes a GA unless they trade the pick.

The revelation on the other thread that RSL is pursuing Findley plus two additional strikers (one MLS player, one international) is making me rethink things a bit. Now I wouldn't be surprised if RSL traded the pick (and possibly a fringe player like Reynish) for allocation money to pay for these two strikers plus Findley.

12. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't we already release Reynish and pick up Attinella?

13. Liv34s0ccer

Liv34s0ccer Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    So who from the MLS fits the projected salary and needs of RSL. Cooper is to expensive imo, and I can only think of Oduro from Chicago who has wanted to move

14. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Assuming they get Findley, then it'll be a striker from down south (Herediano?) as #2 and #4 from the draft - especially if one of the Generation Adidas forwards are still available.

If they don't get Finley, then I could see them trading for someone in the league - but not a Kenny Cooper or Boyd - too expensive, unless they decide on getting someone from Central or South America for the #3 or #4 spot instead. Doesn't seem worth the effort unless they are young, really talented and really cheap.

If there is no GA forward, but a different GA player available when their pick is up, then they have a hard choice between a cheap forward or a GA player elsewhere in the formation. Might be GA if it's a weak spot or someplace we need to groom someone (e.g. Javi's future replacement). SoccerByIves pointed out
    If JJ Johnson continues having a crap combine, it may mean he drops far enough for RSL to get him and add another Jamaican to the roster. Manneh would add another Gambian, joining Mansally.

Allez RSL repped this.
  15. SALTLAKEJAKE

SALTLAKEJAKE Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Sugarhood
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but Kyle will be in camp (from what I hear). Not sure what that means or if we'll be carrying 4 keepers, could be he's filling in for Lalo as he is still recovering from the wrist break he suffered last year.

16. SALTLAKEJAKE

SALTLAKEJAKE Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Sugarhood
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drew Epperly (WV HOOLIGAN) Put this together for Big D Soccer. It's a good look at the forwards available in the draft.

Finley is the guy for me if we go with a forward. I get that with the attitude issues that have been talked about he may not be a GarSon type guy, but he scores goals in buckets.

Eriq Zavaleta (Indiana) - This would be a major thing IF he signs with the league as a Generation adidas player and IF FCD were to trade up for him. Some don't believe he'll sign, others like myself think he will. With IU winning the national title this year I think he will see that he can move on to the professional game. Would he drop to number 7? Possibly, other GA players have slipped this far before but we know how Schellas Hyndman is at drafting young, inexperienced forwards. It certainly is a high-risk/high-reward type of pick.
    Ryan Finley (Notre Dame) - He scored a ton of goals at Notre Dame this year. Oddly enough he did it all off the bench and didn't start in any game. He is the very definition of a super-sub. Hyndman has done well with guys like this in the past when you look at Eric Avila or even what we thought Andrew Wiedeman could have been. Finley reminds me of Avila in a way but possibly a little better. I think he'll still need to prove to all coaches in MLS that he can handle playing longer stretches at a time.
    Will Bates (Virginia) - Injuries hurt him over the years but he is still a quality player. The senior didn't have a ton of support this year at UVA but his size and strength should win people over. He is good on the ball and with a creative midfield behind him he will be a good goalscorer in this league.
    Chris Thomas (Elon) - The nation's leading scorer will attract some attention in this draft for sure. He has good speed and is very athletic. I see him possibly being more of a winger in MLS rather than a striker but his Combine should tell the real story on that front.
    Patrick Mullins (Maryland) - Another GA target here, I think if Zavaleta isn't obtainable for FCD, Mullins certainly could be worth a good look. Some believe he could return to Maryland for his senior season, so there is still a lot of "what ifs" with him at the moment. I think he is versatile enough and has a good enough work ethic to make Hyndman take a serious look at him.
    Ashton Bennett (Coastal Carolina) - Another small school guy that lead his school. Having an international status also doesn't help his cause for FCD to pick him but if somehow a green card is present with him, he could be a solid pickup. His Combine will need to be big though to get more teams to believe he is worth a pick.
    J.J. Johnson (VCU) - A third GA target on the list. Johnson has the speed that teams will drool over. But what I like about him is that he can combine the speed with a power game, something that will serve him well at the next level.

17. SALTLAKEJAKE

SALTLAKEJAKE Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Sugarhood
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Couple of the forwards shown here look decent.

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then we would have 2 fast bench strikers. Why do that?

19. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Looks like from Twitter, that Aaron Maund and Finley are friends from time at ND. That combined with being a Duke-y might offsite the attitude issues. Perhaps RSL coaching staff has asked Maund his opinion on the matter?

20. Liv34s0ccer

Liv34s0ccer Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Cause then we could play long ball to Findley and Oduro and wear out the defense? It was more of a question who would RSL even look at or be able to get inside the MLS worth anything. Cooper and Oduro are the only 2 strikers i can really think of that trades have been mentioned lately.

21. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes Reynish was released, but because nobody claimed him in the re-entry draft, RSL still owns his rights.

22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my opinion, the combine shouldn't affect your opinion of a player too much unless they are one extreme or the other (destroying everyone or just looking lost). If they are just a bit off, you have to realize they are playing with a team they've never, or hardly ever, trained with and being put on showcase in front of mls coaches.

To me, the combine should be where you find out about a player as a person. The interviews should be HUGE in this, the play is just there to make sure they aren't a different person from the film you've watched.

23. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Reynish and Attinella will likely be competing for a spot.

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLSsoccer report from day 1 of Combine. Here is what they said about RSL's pick:
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/01/12/updated-mlssoccercom-mock-draft-after-combine-day-1

[​IMG]
    Mikey Lopez (MF)
    North Carolina / GA
    Real Salt Lake hope to make some big salary moves so this off-budget Generation adidas player helps. But he's also smart, feisty, tactically aware and humble enough to be a good fit at RSL.

Ryan Finley (FW)
    Notre Dame
    Got jobbed out of the Hermann Trophy on Friday night, which means he'll come to the Combine with something to prove on Sunday. If he shows he can both score and hold the ball up, he won't drop further than this.

Deshorn Brown (FW)
    Central Florida / GA
    I know, it's doesn't feel right to me either, but a Generation adidas forward drops to No. 12 and I'm not sure RSL can pass on it.

25. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    This guy supposedly played really well the first day.

Considered one of the top ten midfielders. Not GA

9. Alex Isern (Winthrop) — Isern, who’s from Barcelona, is about to turn 25, which hurts his stock quite a bit. But there’s no denying his talent after his performance on Day 1, when he controlled the tempo of the game with pinpoint distribution. Would need to play next to a very busy d-mid, but somebody should give him a look.