RSL 2013-14 Offseason News Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Dec 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After all the shit this team has endured this year, some bad luck and much more self inflicted, you are upset with the loss of Palmer?

2. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am. He was our best outside back to provide any offensive threat. If we had to lose a fullback, I would've rather seen Mansally go.

3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need allocation funds to keep the core and sign new players. With no CCL, we need to generate funds in some way - and that comes from players other teams find valuable.

4. Black Prince

Black Prince Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    SoccerPrime repped this.
  5. jade fox

jade fox New Member

Oct 24, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    You mean to tell me we lose the US Open Cup on our home turf to the worst team in the league, we lose the Supporter Shield on the last weekend of the season, we get beat in MLS Cup on penalty kicks, and now we get knocked out of the Champions League because of a change in the rules?

Worst.....season.....ever!

6. Immanuel Kant

Immanuel Kant Member

Aug 8, 2006
    Sandy
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would rank this as the 3rd best season ever behind 2009 & 2010. I don't even know if this is the most disappointing season ever. I think that belongs to 2010 where I think we were the best team in the league and came away empty. I much rather have the season play out the way it did than us barely missing the playoffs or being a one and done. I know I like to joke about being second to none in being second to all, but in hind sight, this was a hell of a season.

GoReal, RSLer and Allez RSL repped this.
  7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pate, Allez RSL and ShaggyReAL repped this.
  8. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've followed Palmer on twitter and have be extremely impressed with his attitude, generosity, and overall character. Can't say I really know the guy but he seems great. I'm sad to see him go on that account. I don't think his soccer is irreplaceable...

9. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was the contract pay difference between Palmer and Mansally? Personally, I'd rather have Palmer over Mansally.

10. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, whaddya expect. We are the red-headed bastard step-child of the MLS.

Anyway, due to the way this season has gone for us this year (especially the CCL selection), I'm throwing this out for the tagline for the RSL forum next year.

"We love the f**kin' MLS and the MLS loves f**kin' RSL"

ShaggyReAL, pcny and BalanceUT repped this.
  11. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    You know that MLS and USSF made this decision in March, right? CONCACAF took their time making it official, but they probably didn't do so to fuel a persecution complex in SLC.

12. ReAl Football Fan

May 2, 2005
    Ogden, Ut
    This all comes down to our pathetic performances against DC United. We couldn't find a way to beat the worst team in the league. Because of that I can't be upset that we are now out of the CCL. The blame cannot be placed upon anyone else.

ShaggyReAL and BalanceUT repped this.
  13. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, given how much love The Don gives to teams like EL Lay, Noo Yawk, Seattle and Portland, if the tables had been turned and RSL had won the division, but Portland had lost in the MLS Cup, I'm sure that the MLS and USSF would have told CONCACF that on second thought, it wouldn't be fair to change things this late in the season and that they would want it to take effect for the next CCL, not the CCL starting next summer.

Remember, Portland has the MLS Coach of the year, ergo, MLS needs to showcase him on an international stage, not red-headed bastard step-child RSL.

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, I think you are 99% right. I can't imagine Enzo staying. Sad story. I really had high hopes for him when they drafted him with his buddy Seba. He'll probably land on his feet in Carolina, he seemed to do well for them (plus thats home).

Salcedo can play RB and Mansally is a LB, so theres your depth. I don't know if we have seen Carlos play out right yet in a MLS game. But we didn't really have a choice here. Palmer was wanted by Chicago and CJ and RSL needs allocations (like Ismitje said).

As for Klute, my understanding is that he and Burch will share left-mid and left-back duties, as both can play both positions well.

On CCL, go Arabe Unido!

15. Jester4422

Jester4422 Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    For those asking the pay difference between Mansally and Palmer in roughly $20,000. I think the important number though is that Mansally is on 23 compared to Palmer's 29. I think a better comparison is would you rather of kept Wingert($ 160,598.00-$ 167,598.00) or Palmer.

16. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ideally I would've kept Palmer, ditched Mansally, and picked up a young outside back with some potential. Klute would be a solid pickup. While Mansally is still young, he just never struck me as a guy that is going to develop into something good.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1- Chicago probably wanted Palmer, not Wingert, not Mansally.
    2- cRapids will never, ever trade us Klute.

JasonMa, Section 5 and Allez RSL repped this.
  18. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose we could've waited a little to start moving players, see what the new coach would want. It just feels like so far we're off to the wrong start this offseason. I get we need to shed some salary, but it doesn't make it any less sucky.

SoccerPrime and ShaggyReAL repped this.
  19. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be a bit surprised, however, to know that they waited to make their choice (I'm sick of the word decision) so it would be clear what teams would fill the slots in each eventuality. If Portland had been in the MLS Cup and lost to KC, I'll bet they would have made the other choice. If RSL had won the MLS Cup, then they would have picked to get Portland rather than KC (probably... that's a closer call, IMO). In any case, CONCACAF waited to make this choice strategically.

20. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I'd like to see Arabe go all the way, they're my boys.

And no matter how you look at it, this season has been one gigantic kick in the crotch.

Maybe the worst crotch kick in our history.

21. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    No, no, no, no.

No.

22. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a Arabe Unido forum on BS?... checking... checking....Nope, doesn't look like it. On Facebook, however. LOL!

23. ShaggyReAL

ShaggyReAL Awesome is my middle name

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally a post I can laugh at.

0 out of 99 1 out of 100.

You're humor is getting better. ;)

24. ShaggyReAL

ShaggyReAL Awesome is my middle name

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #99 ShaggyReAL, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    I think you give the cRapids way to much credit.

25. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to create with cRapids in any way. ;)

However this isn't the Fernando Clavijo days for cRapids, Oscar Pareja is a good coach and isn't stupid. so I'll give them some credit. They and many others think highly of Klute. MLSsoccer.com brain-trust think they'll move Klute up to LM and put Burch at LB.

So did RSL re-sign Alvarez? I assume Saunders and Stephensen are gone-gone. I say some poster on MLS N&A say that RSL was going to trade Saborio, Velasquez and Grabavoy. Anyone else hear that kinda of crap?

ShaggyReAL repped this.