RSL 2013-14 Offseason News Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Dec 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CONCACAF votes on it Friday.

2. ShaggyReAL

ShaggyReAL Awesome is my middle name

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You pass on everyone in the first draft for sure.

3. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stephenson makes sense to toss. Wasn't that great for us, and we've shown our younger guys have a higher ceiling. Alvarez makes sense. KB should hopefully continue at this level for at least a couple more years, and isn't Enzo a DM? I'd rather keep him developing, with him getting more appearances as KB (hopefully) misses some time for the World Cup. Saunders is understandable. It's hard to pay that kind of salary for a keeper that likely won't see too many minutes.

As for Sabo/Findley. For now I'd keep both until we see what happens to the coaching staff. Sabo has higher trade/sell value, but if we do get rid of him, we need to pickup a capable holding forward. Sandoval wasn't terrible, but he does have a long way to go before he'd be a suitable replacement. Grabbing someone ~27/28 that can fill in right now would be a logical choice. Findley is worth the cash if he can perform most of the season like he did during the playoffs. Hopefully the end of the season showed what he'll be like starting next year, and not something we can only expect the last couple months of the season.

Overall I'd keep most of the guys. People with high trade value that *may* get traded would be guys like Sabo and Borchers. It's always a hard choice, but if you're going to get rid of vets, you're far better off doing it while they still have good value and before they decline. I'd keep KB/Rimando for sure. Would be fine with keeping Morales, but we really need to find a guy ~25-27 that is ready to fill in because I don't know how much he has in the tank.

UPinSLC repped this.
  4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone figure out when Beckerman's contract is up?

5. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Garth put the kaibash on this thought last night on the Bill and Hans Show. He listed 3 factors that identify this organization and they will look for a coach who will commit to them. One factor: the diamond.

6. pcny

pcny Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    That seems so rigid...shouldn't we be looking for a coach that maximizes the potential of our current roster, who has a compelling vision for what it takes to get us over the hump?

BalanceUT, 15 to 32 and Allez RSL repped this.
  7. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    So here in RSL land, we like:

Diamonds
    TITS

...and what's the third?

8. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Family

pcny repped this.
  9. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    We are a family with diamond studded tits?!?!

:eek:

DrownedElf and 15 to 32 repped this.
  10. ShaggyReAL

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. ShaggyReAL

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #36 ShaggyReAL, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    Bill Manning on KSL1160

start it at the 39 minute mark.

http://img.ksl.com/audio/2013_12_11_doug1.mp3

Nothing earth shattering comes from this. He did said they will interview 2 candidates , one of them today and then make a decision this weekend. He also said they aren't going to far outside the RSL family. A player won't be coming off the pitch to coach. ;)

I'm sure it's Fraser but what other coaches have been with RSL that are no longer here. Ellinger? lol

12. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Almost as bad as getting Rick Rolled having to listen to "Mr. Soccer" Doug Wright.

Allez RSL repped this.
  13. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any group of individuals who gets diamond studded tits together has got to be considered family

Boz repped this.
  14. ShaggyReAL

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed.

He also mentioned we won't have any allocation money so RSL knows they aren't going to CCL. That's how I took it anyways.

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    REAL SALT LAKE TO HOST FOURTH-ANNUAL PRO COMBINE FROM DEC. 16-18
    -Tryouts to be Held from Dec. 16-18 at site of RSL-Arizona Academy in Casa Grande, Arizona

SANDY, Utah/CASA GRANDE, Ariz. (Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2013) – Real Salt Lake announced on Wednesday that it will hold its fourth-annual Pro Combine at the Grande Sports World facility in Casa Grande, Ariz. from Dec. 16-18.

Real Salt Lake General Manager Garth Lagerwey and other members of the club’s technical staff will be on hand during the combine to conduct training sessions and evaluate players in advance of January’s 2014 MLS SuperDraft.

RSL Pro Combine alumni include RSL MF Sebastian Velasquez (2011) and current Seattle Sounders FC DF Dylan Remick (2012), Colorado Rapids MF Tony Cascio (2011), Seattle Sounders FC MF Alex Caskey (2011), former New England Revolution MF Michael Roach (2011) and Columbus Crew MF Bernardo Añor (2010). All six above players – as well as three more from the 2010 class – were selected in the MLS SuperDraft.

http://www.realsaltlake.com/news/2013/12/real-salt-lake-host-fourth-annual-pro-combine-dec-16-18

16. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yesterday I heard parts of Bill Riley's interview with Jason Kreis. Jason affirmed that the new coach will be committed to the diamond. He said the diamond is what the team is built for and will stay. In the interview Bill gave the names of the 2 candidates for head coach: Jeff Cassar and Robin Fraser.

17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why should he care if the new coach is committed to the diamond, or answer that definitively?

18. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I don't think he cares, necessarily, it just sounded like his opinion was that Garth would stick with it. Which makes sense in the short run at least (IMO), given that we've got all the pieces for it.

One tidbit from the Dunseth interview that I found interesting was him describing how he settled on the diamond formation in the first place. He said that he was modeling it after what the Dynamo did during their successful years with Clark as the D-mid, DeRo as attacking mid, and Davis on the wing. Sounded like when he went to Argentina and found Javi he felt like he could make that system work at that point.

19. ShaggyReAL

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JK signed a 4 year extension with the MNT and was named technical director. When I first saw this I thought it was good news for a few RSL guys. We have a tough group in Brazil therefor not much pressure is on JK to get out of the group. JK might be willing to take a few chances on some younger guys like Gil,Shuler and Beltran. I think it's a long shot that they get looked at this year but this makes it a little more reasonable.

20. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    I was wondering however if they tried to get a trade for ovaries with no takers to just get nothing for him if someone picks him up. I thought he was a good backup for KB.

21. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing phills is posting from his phone and there's an autocorrect issue. Or can someone who's more proficient in the language translate for me?

Immanuel Kant repped this.
  22. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe phills is hoping we can get the first female MLS player.

23. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    ovaries = Alvarez, I think. Given Alvarez's yellow card history, those are some tough ovaries, too.

24. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Oops keyboard was certainly thinking of something other than alvarez!,

25. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally I'd dump Alvarez and give Enzo an actual shot. He still wouldn't see a lot of time, but he'd be able to trade under KB instead of having to take loan deals to get any sort of playing in.