RSL 2012 News Thread (Regular Season)

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Section 5

Section 5 Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would you listen to 1280 over 1320? All they do is continuously mock RSL, and beat the Jazz dead horse. They are a complete joke. At least 1320 is making an attempt.

2. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    David F#*%ing Locke.

1280 doesn't toe the Jazz line for the most part and yes they do talk about the Jazz a lot. I like Gordon Monson & the Red & Blue show much more than the oh so tired Jim Rome show.

Did I mention David F#*%ing Locke?

How about Ben 'I have the worst radio morning zoo fake radio laugh that everyone knows is fake but I still laugh at David F#*%ing Locke when he pulls out his stats that explain everything' Bagley.

Or that ego maniacal PK in the morning. I don't know how DJ puts up with him.

David James is the ONLY thing, the absolute only thing worth listening to on 1320 but PK makes that impossible.

Thank goodness for actual radio professionals in the morning on X96.

I also refuse to support the Jazz. Larry Miller actively lobbied to keep Uncle Dave from getting a stadium. Kevin O'Connor F#*%ed Jerry Sloan. Junior Miller is a petty douche and Karl should have taken him out behind the Glow Dome and spanked his touche.

Did I mention David F#*%king Locke. They guy who thinks it's all about him. The guy who is the worst play by play man in the NBA. That guy. Hot Rod called the game. He was a homer for sure but he called the game. You knew what was going on all the time. Not with David F#*%ing Locke.

I support RSL first and foremost. More power to those that can have more than one allegiance. I have long since let BYU Football and Jazz Basketball fade into supporting memory. I hope the best for all other teams, BYU, Jazz, Utah but that pales in my support of RSL.

Did I mention David F#*%ing Locke yet?

1280 has or had Garth on all of the time. One interview on 1320 does not support make.

And finally David F#*%ing Locke!

3. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL played lovely in the first half, though the counterattack from Portland seemed to always be troubling us. Then, the second half opens and it is as if the team forgot how to play. Reminded me of last week. Clearly, Morales and Saborio need some full games such as this one. It should help them a lot in returning to the 'RSL rhythm' of play.

Probably should have been a draw, but so should last week's.

[​IMG]

4. Section 5

Section 5 Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HAD is the keyword here. They used to have him on the Gordon Monson show, but haven't in a really, really long time from what I know.

I hate David Locke, and the Jazz. Can't stand them, and I agree with you completely on your hatred for them. :)

And hey, I'm not saying I'm a fan of 1320, I'm just saying I'm supporting them more because they are attempting to give RSL some love. I never listen to them except for when I know they are going to be talking RSL.

1280 makes no attempts whatsoever to show any level of respect to RSL. Jan claims to be a soccer fan because he watches an EPL game on ESPN on Saturday morning on occasion, and thinks RSL is some sort of joke. That moron wouldn't even have a job if it weren't for Gunther. The dude can't complete a sentence, and is painful to listen to. Again, he has Gunther to thank for having a job. I'm not a Gunther fan as far as his mockery of RSL, but I just listen to him because he is witty and entertaining. I enjoy the Gordon Monson show because they show some intelligence when talking about sports. The Hans and OC and Red and Blue shows are trash. I hate Jim Rome too by the way. :)

I don't even remember what the hell my point was. It's late. I think I agree with you on nearly all of your points....hahaha. Anyhoo, that's my local radio soapbox for the day. :)

5. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I hated Spence since his daddy gave him the job back in the day covering RSL. He grew up with basketball and had that same, not even veiled, disdain for the sport which he considered to be vastly inferior to all the American sports.

But...something interesting happened to Spence over the years. As he tells it, he learned the game because it was his job to do so. He kept an open enough mind to learning the sport. And he did. Now, he will willingly tell anyone who asks him, even the soccer hating A-holes at 1320, that he really enjoys the game.

He also adds the following caveat to the discussion. He doesn't expect any of his listeners who didn't grow up with the game to spend the 5 years studying it to "get it"...he thinks that is too much to ask. Personally, I think that may be the smartest route to take when dealing with soccer haters. Don't try to convince them of anything. If they choose to spend the time an effort to learn, thank them profusely, as it does take quite a bit of both. But, if they don't want to? Ignore them. As time passes, less and less sports fans with be uninformed about soccer, and the hatred will just pass away.

Meanwhile, Spence will do his part by bringing in Garson and some of the classy players for interviews. He knows that there is a small market of RSL lovers out there, so why not cater to them, just a little bit.

6. pcny

pcny Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    What was that ESPN poll a couple of weeks ago--soccer is the number 2 sport among the 14-24 demographic in this country...behind football. But ahead of basketball, baseball and hockey.

7. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    That can't be right.
    I'm part of that age group,
    and it's more like:
    Basketball
    Football
    Soccer
    -big gap-
    baseball
    Hockey

8. Section 5

Section 5 Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    basketball above football? what group are you running around with? Basketball is only relevant in March and with NBA nerds - which are quickly declining.

10. Hardtcore

Hardtcore Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Kearnshaw
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd argue that with the NFL moving free agency to March, added with Peyton Manning and Sean Payton, the NFL got a lot more coverage and interest this March than the NCAA tourney. I'd also argue that'll continue in the coming years.

Basketball will really only have May and June to dominate anymore, if that...

11. keeptheslinrsl

Mar 17, 2008
    Section 26!
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this was interesting. Apparantly we didn't win the MLS cup officially. We "tied" LA for it.

12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Italy didn't win their last 2 world cups, then.

13. KNVB22

KNVB22 Member

Apr 13, 2009
    SL
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Agree.

The question that Spencer asked Jason that made me think that he is really trying to covert some fence sitters is; "Jason for the novice fans that come out to a game what would you have them look for?' Jason suggested that they sit close to the field and with an open mind watch for the speed of the game and the athleticism of the players, etc. This plus the atmosphere at the RioT and I don't now how you couldn't love it.

14. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. keeptheslinrsl

Mar 17, 2008
    Section 26!
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats fine with me. Eff Italy and their theatrical style of soccer

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    help me understand why everyone is going crazy for mehdi's goal? all he did was throw his chicken wing out there and redirect/deflect the ball into the goal. solli and henry did all the work. it was by far the least skilled goal out of all the candidates.

nagbe's would win going away in any other week, but beckermans goal wins it for me given the importance and timing of the goal.

18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    people are looking at the build to the Henry... I mean Ballouchy goal for their reasoning. I completely agree that the build for that goal is great. However, this isn't "best build of the week" its "goal of the week". Until they create a thousand different little things to vote for, though, stuff is going to get clumped together.

Honestly, one of the very best goals I've ever seen was that 22 or 23 pass goal we scored against New England when we thrashed them. The big Enchilada's finish on the thing was clinical and not overly exciting. the build though? world class.

That's what this comes down to. Yeah, Nagbe's, KB's, and even DeLeon's all have that finishing touch that is spectacular. However, the build up to them doesn't even come close to that of the New York goal.

What they really should insert is an "assist of the week" award. Far too many times we see goals that are just a simple tap in get overlooked because of how unimpressive the actual finish was.

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically correct in both cases. FIFA records all games that go to a PK shootout as draws. The PK shootout is only there because the tournament being played requires a result. In FIFA's eyes the game ended at the end of extra time in a draw.

20. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DeLeon's seemed more lucky than anything. Honestly Nagbe's first goal or Steele's were far more impressive than Ballouchy. I'd even say the buildup on Steele's was better than Ballouchy.

21. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Sure, the championship game wasn't won, but the championship was won.

People who try to say that a team didn't win the championship because they didn't win the championship game are trolling.

Whose cup?

The championship is played with all teams understanding and agreeing to the rules set forth. Maybe not winning outright all the games takes a little away from the achievement, but I think it's more telling about someone who completely dismisses the accomplishments of a team for that reason. Furthermore, RSL had to beat the SS winners, and did so twice. Then they took on Chicago, (probably the 2nd or 3rd best team that year), and then LA (the 2nd or 3rd best team that year).

I think the greater condemnation would be RSL having a sub .500 season but still being able to win the championship. However, there were about 5 other teams complicit in giving RSL that opportunity the last week of the season, Crapids being the main culprit.

Since Jasonma is hanging around, I will say that the Crapids were a shoe-in for the playoffs weeks before the end of the season, although not one of the top teams. Their route and performance in the playoffs was underwhelming, yet they got there and won under the championship rules. They beat Dallas, which is something RSL failed to do.

Everyone is pissed about both team's MLS Cup victories. The view is RSL didn't "deserve" to be there, and the Crapids lucked their way through. Fine.

Whose cup?

22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is one of those parts of the game that everyone just rolls their eyes at.
    it's listed as a draw, whoop dee doo, we all know (including those morons at FIFA that decided this is the way to list it) that there was an actual winner and loser

23. keeptheslinrsl

Mar 17, 2008
    Section 26!
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dont think anyone on here is arguing with you....

24. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I didn't either.

25. shank

shank Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Ogden, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else annoyed that Henry wins Player of the Week? I understand the guy scored a hat trick, but it was against Montreal. Maicon Santos scored 2 and assisted 1 against Dallas. Much more impressive, IMO. Wish MLS would open its field of vision further than NY and LA.