RSL 2012 News Thread (Regular Season)

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. MassiveFan

MassiveFan Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick question: what is the status on Will Johnson? I know he will be out tomorrow, but how long does it seem will he be out? And is Velasquez his permanent backup until he returns?

....How did Velasquez look playing too?

3. mr. slick

mr. slick Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Section 26
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've read, Johnson still has at least a couple of weeks recovering from the surgery. And Valesquez looked really impressive, especially considering he is a rookie straight out of junior college. I don't think anyone knows if he'll be the permanent backup.

4. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007

My hunch is that Johnson will probably not play next week. He's been participating as a neutral in practice. According to him, he should get the green light to train fully early next week, but will need several solid training sessions before Kreis puts him out on the field.

Velasquez looked pretty good. I'd say that Gil was expected to be the first guy off the bench for Johnson, Morales, and Grabavoy. (Of course two of the three didn't start last week). After that, Steele was actually slotted in for reserve duty on the left. Velasquez was told he'd be more of a backup on the right side. Steele has been hurt, but played the full 90 on Tuesday, and could be in the 18 tomorrow.

5. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shaman Simon is random enough - it's growing on me. Like turn left at weird and drive 5 miles.

6. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's listed as Out on the MLS injury report.

7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This part of the situation intrigues me. How is it that Steele is ahead of Velasquez in the depth chart? Is Steele really that much better than this kid? If so... good lord we're deep this year.

Honestly, I get the feeling Kreis wanted more bite in his depth at midfield (see players like Jean Alexandre) and was really afraid of putting a kid from Juco who is shorter than Nick Rimando out there.

Is Steele really a better player than Velasquez? Or did Kreis just list him higher on the depth chart because of his experience?

8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did they announce the exchange dates for tickets this year?

9. d1ddy

d1ddy Member

Oct 8, 2008
    upstate
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Generally (see Luis Gil), Kreis likes to bring younger players along slowly. Throwing young experienced players into high pressure situations can sometimes prove to be too much, no matter the skill level or potential. My guess is that is still going to be the plan for Velasquez going forward. The fact that he dealt with the pressure of playing LA at their home field speaks very well for his character/desire.

10. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    I'd put Steele in the same category as Alvarez. (both former USL MVP's, by the way). Has some good experience at lower levels, has quite a bit of talent, but has never fully put it all together.

My only concern about him with RSL is that he doesn't seem to have quite the skills on the ball as the rest of the midfield. But he has great vision and can put in some top notch crosses. He also makes very smart runs through the middle like Grabavoy does occasionally. Has a little bit of bite. A very different kind of player than Velasquez.

It's very possible that Velasquez's recent play has changed the pecking order. I expect that to be fluid throughout much of the season.

11. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Workman-like. RSL took care of business. Beltran looked like he had no problems at all. Overall, though, the team did not look 'inspired', but our boys had plenty of bite to their game. NYDP was very disruptive of RSL's passing game. But, if these first games show anything, it is that RSL has countering capabilities which will make teams who overplay pay.

RSL! RSL! RSL!

[​IMG]

12. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Thanks for choosing a distinctly different color for 2012!... Some of those years started to blend together. ;-). (yes, I'm getting old.)

13. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I generally use Red for the current year and shades of blue for past years. The gold is for winning the cup. But, eventually I'm going to run out of shades of blue... I'll jump off that bridge when I get to it.

14. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Looks like I am starting over on my Andy Williams banner. I saw someone in the south end had one like I am working on. Picture of Andy and "Legend" over the picture. Mine just wasn't looking good so back to the drawing board.

15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only brought a banner to hang behind my seats.
    Doubt many people saw it.

I'll have one or two two-sticks next week along with a flag

16. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I saw it. Tough to read when people are in front of it but I saw it on your blog and it's very cool. Nicely done.

17. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    A different color for the Ellinger years? I suggest 'clear'.

18. rsldude

rsldude Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Heart of Texas
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or poop brown...

19. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps I should have spent more time thinking about the wording of that question. :) What everybody missed was the burning stare he gave me after I asked it. I'd rather make my own mother cry than make JK mad. :)

Nah, over the years I've learned to brush off JK's anger - he's not going to send me a Christmas card no matter what I do.

20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    victory gold man, victory gold

21. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ives' Rookie of the week

I might have picked Sebastian over Tony Cascio, but love that the three names mentioned all have RSL ties.

22. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the brown idea... clear... well, I think it is good to show the contrast between then and now.

23. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Two things: 1) Cascio scored the game winner - hard to argue against that; and 2) Ives might be Cascio's biggest fan