RSL 2012 News Thread (Regular Season)

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look my point was rather simple. Mr C stop with the disclaimer's on you're opionions, your original take on Sabo
    Was not so far off, either was your take on Borchers getting a call up although it may be a little late in his career.
    Prime ******** off I really do not like Sabo. I do however wish him and RSl success and they do seem to go hand in hand.
    When he plays well I will acknowledge it. When he does not you will hear it from me. last week you all wanted to cream your jeans over a off-side goal, and a own goal. I was simply happy both counted in RSL's favor

3. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is it you don't like him? He scores at a better rate than any forward we've had to date. Just glancing at the current wiki stats and he's sitting at 321 appearances in his career scoring 160 goals (.49 goals per appearance) Just looking at his RSL time he's appeared in 64 regular season games scoring 29 for .45 goals per appearance.
    Espindola - .28
    Paulo - .13
    Findley - .31
    Movsisyan - .28

So based on career stats he's stayed roughly the same goals per appearance. And he's also our best finisher to date. I'm not exactly sure why you'd want Paulo out there unless you're really wanting us not to score. Paulo is at .11 this year over his 9 games. Hell Bonfigli has scored a goal just like Paulo with far less minutes (.33 per appearance but far less minutes)

I guess haters gonna hate.

4. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do love how you're quick to dismiss his goals this week, but when he gets 2 legitimate goals taken away you don't want to give him credit for those either. Honestly my only real criticism is that he can be slower to come back onside after a run. But you have to throw Espindola in that boat as well, only he's worse at it. So many times will he make a run, not get the ball and instead of running back onside he throws a tantrum and keeps himself out of the game.

5. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to have a good option as a third striker that's why I want to see more of Paulo on the pitch, get him some minutes and hope he can get going.
    Last nights post by me was over the line, alcohol inspired, sorry Prime. I think I dislike (not hate) Sabo because he is our high priced striker who seems too often to be MIA during long stretches of matches.
    As to his career stats you site, any idea how those numbers play out while at RSL?

6. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Maybe this is where your opinion diverges from others on the board. Sabo's salary isn't that high. His production is about what you would expect out of a $350,000 striker in this league (a foreign striker -- since they tend to earn a little more than Americans -- compared to Wondoloski Sabo's salary seems high, but, then again, so does Henry's). I don't think you find a forward for this price who doesn't drift in and out of effectiveness.

jdfoote repped this.
  7. Ender16

Ender16 Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention Paulo's only goal was a PK that Espy gifted him...

8. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just looking at his RSL time he's appeared in 64 regular season games scoring 29 for .45 goals per appearance.

It was in there :p I bet if you were to go back through the history of the MLS, you wouldn't see many people sitting at .45 through their playing time. I'm sure the highest would be Lassiter, but didn't he only play one season?

And I do understand we need a solid person to fill in at the 3rd striker. I feel that person will wind up being Bonfigli. Paulo just doesn't seem to have it for whatever reason. And don't forget Arnoux if supposedly good.. if he's ever healthy. ;)

9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Folks, we have TWO Sabo threads. This isn't one of them. :)

BalanceUT, MOS5, 15 to 32 and 1 other person repped this.
  10. Mr.C

Mr.C Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    george,

My views on Sabo changed because I took the negative points and the positive points about him and compared the two. I felt he disappeared in games like you have stated, but when others said to watch him off-ball I did so. He really does more than most other strikers. I wish he was more creative, but for what he are paying him he is doing more than his fair share of work.

My point about Borchers is that I believe he deserves a national camp call-up, but he is also 31 during a US soccer revolution. With my last statement, "but what do I really know?" The fact is that I have very little experience in soccer. I have no coaching certifications, I have never played serious organized ball, and this is my second year of actually paying attention to everything that goes on in the game. Hell, most of my education from the game comes from playing FIFA12 on Xbox.

11. Black Prince

Black Prince Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Hahahahaha. My bad. The best part about this whole tangent is that *I* was the one that called out georg on his Sabo baiting, but SoccerPrime was the one that got told off. That's some funny :poop:.

ANYHOW, in RSL news... isn't there a game tonight or something? ;)

12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we better win tonight
    I can't stand long ass breaks without this team when we are supposed to be in our season. Yeah, Euro 12 will help... but that doesn't start til June 8!

Also, weeks off = injuries for this squad for some reason.
    so... who picks up a random injury during our bye weeks?
    My money is on Borchers

13. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Apparently, we learn who our opponents in CCL are tomorrow.

14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, we're in pot B
    here are the pots and how they work
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012–13_CONCACAF_Champions_League

Pot A:
    UANL (Mexico)
    Santos (Mexico)
    LA (USA)
    Seattle (USA)
    Herediano (Costa Rica)
    Olimpia (Honduras)
    Xelaju (Guatemala)
    Chorrillo (Panama)

Pot B:
    Guadalajara (Mexico)
    Monterrey (Mexico)
    Salt Lake (USA)
    Houston (USA)
    TFC (Canada)
    Metapan (El Salvador)
    Alajuelense (Costa Rica)
    Marathon (Honduras)

Pot C:
    FAS (El Salvador)
    Municipal (Guatemala)
    Tauro (Panama)
    Real Esteli (Nicaragua)
    Aguila (El Salvador)
    Caribbean Club Championship Winner*
    Caribbean Club Championship Runner-up*
    Caribbean Club Championship Third place*

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_CFU_Club_Championship

So, our options in Pot A are Herediano, Olimpia, Xelaju, and Chorrillo
    Whoever we got in A would dictate what we could get in C. Though, it looks like most of the options are possible save a Xelaju and Municipal draw.

15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to hope to not get drawn into the same group as Olimpia or Herediano. Both of those sides are talented and would really give us a push for top spot in the group. Olimpia, especially, has proven they are a side to not take lightly in this tournament.

Municipal in pot C is the team that scares me. Nobody in this tournament is a pushover, but there are some obviously weaker sides.

I'm disappointed we were put in the same pot as TFC. I wanted to draw them not because I think they are an easy side, but because they are a known entity for this club.

pate repped this.
  16. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the same reasoning: How'd you like to win your way into Pot A and then possibly face either Monterrey, Houston, RSL or even the real Chivas in the elimination round? If anyone has cause to complain it's the non-US/Mexico sides. The slate is set up for the two big countries.

The beauty of CCL is the variety and level of the competition. There might be slightly easier paths, but there is no easy path. I'm cool with whatever we draw, more history, more color...more ways to mix and engage with our Latin brothers. I enjoyed the education about and exposure to Saprissa last time around. I welcome another experience against a good side like that.

pate repped this.
  17. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i really hope they do the CCL 360 videos again, i was sooooo addicted to those, i watched every one at least a half dozen times. cant wait for this competition again, it's a fun one.

TheBiff repped this.
  18. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    which is bullshit
    Alonso gets himself pulled out of position so damn much I'd be irritated as a Seattle fan.
    For example, watch the goal we scored against them. Alonso should be in the mix, but has removed himself from the play by being an idiot.

KB>Alonso

The latest "top 5" is "control freaks"...
    which makes no sense to me. I guess it means players with good control? If so, Javi should be on the list, right?

22. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re Alonso/Beckerman: look at who Beckerman has behind him, beside him, and in front of him, and then compare that to Alonso. Alonso does all of what he does with what, half of the support Beckerman does?

23. Black Prince

Black Prince Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Brad Evans is no pushover, but point taken.

24. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    n1xhere repped this.
  25. mr. slick

mr. slick Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Section 26
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When is the CCL draw? Any news on that front yet?