RSL 2012 News Thread (Regular Season)

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, has the rest of MLS found the key to unlocking RSL's defense? Of our 8 goals allowed, 6 have come from crosses into the box, either via corner kick or in the run of play (the 2 Portland goals being the exceptions). In the past two games it seems the gameplan for our opponents has been "whip the ball into the agrea as many times as you can". Is this our Achilles' heel this season? Should we be doing a better job at defending these?

2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't say crosses are our weakness, per say, but our lack of width is allowing an abundance of crosses to occur. If you give an offense enough chances at whipping a ball in, their going to eventually punish you.

The real issue here isn't the defending on the crosses, in my opinion, but allowing the crosses to happen so damn frequently.

Our defending on set pieces, on the other hand, has been rather poor. Team have started running picks on us knowing that only a few of our players are truly talented in the air. If you put a pick on olave and/or borchers you leave just a player like Sabo who is good in the air.

Ironically enough, I've felt our offensive side of set pieces has been shitty this year too. I've never felt that if we are given a corner or dead ball 30ish yards from goal we have a true chance at scoring. And it's not just lacking the service from Javi (though that would help) it's how predictable our runs on dead ball situations have become

3. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a team we give up the most corner kicks in the entire league. It hasnt helped that our marking in the last few games has been god awful as well. Combine the two and you get results like we have the last few weeks.

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. Just get the ref to call 2 reds on RSL and we will fold with 9 men before the game is done.

5. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget to add 6 additional minutes and ignore most hard fouls by the opposing team and that should do it:mad:

6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL not going to challenge the red card to Olave. Not terribly surprising, but the info in the article made me raise my eyebrows a bit:

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_...process-rsl-not-disputing-olave-red-card.html

$25,000 bond you risk losing at the end for not winning your challenges? meh, ok, makes the process more serious. tacking on an extra game suspension for losing the appeal? that is complete and utter bullshit. so, you have set it up so that teams will actually use this option seriously and not just wildly appeal every red card handed to them. but you are going to actively punish the player beyond what the rules state is the proper punishment because a team loses the appeal? what in the ********ing hell?

god, this league never ceases to amaze me.

8. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but can you imagine what would happen if the league didn't have this rule? The whinier teams would constantly be in front of the judge. Hell, they'd have to add an LA Galaxy wing to MLS HQ.

9. Christoph

Christoph Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Farm Country
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait...they don't already have one?

10. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well...i mean, that's why they only get 2 unsuccessful appeals and those 2 unsuccessful appeals automatically means you lose $25k and you cant appeal again this year AND next year.

they already have built in measures clearly defined to prevent whiny teams from appealing every single red card. there is no need to punish the individual player beyond what is clearly defined as punishment for a red card by FIFA. why is he being punished on top of that for a team appeal? makes no sense.

11. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think RSL is just saving their powder for slam dunk reversals (like the Borchers one last year).

The League Office is capricious enough that this risk aversion is prudent.

12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can you call it a wing when it occupies more than half the building?

13. Christoph

Christoph Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Farm Country
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Touche

14. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when a keeper uses his face, from that range, its hard to not give him some sort of award...

16. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I had to vote for non-RSL guys this week. The Tally thing is insane and the goals are scorchers. Kyle dribbled well, but there were unstoppable shots out there.

17. burninator

burninator Member

Aug 7, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I agree. This appeals process is far too draconian and puts too much burden on the teams and players. Having learned more about the appeals process, (thanks, Ives), the fact that RSL passes on the "opportunity" to contest the red card makes a lot of sense, unfortunately.

I would think that a balanced/fair appeals process could go a long way toward helping reduce cheating in the game. MLS's appeals process is not going to help much, IMO. Baby steps...

18. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The motto over the appeals office entrance

NO SOUP FOR YOU

19. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Has anyone heard or read anything from the FO about viewership for RSL's local broadcasts?

On one of the On Frame shows, Trey (I think) said that RSL had great local viewership, but he didn't offer a number. Anyone heard anything concrete?

20. mr. slick

mr. slick Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Section 26
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing I have seen was this little bit, about one specific match, from the Trib:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/53862292-77/games-rsl-jacquint-soccer.html.csp

I've wondered the same, so if anyone else has any additional info, that would be awesome.

21. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    This is great. Exactly what I was looking for.

2.5 average share on 4 (for two games) and a 1.6 for a delayed home game on 30.

22. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, here we are, the graph. This is the last game after which I will post it in the News thread. I think it more properly belongs in the Tracking the Points thread. It will appear in both places this time. Next time only over there.

The game was weird, IMO. What I saw was when Grabavoy came on the field for Gil the game changed dramatically in favor of RSL. RSL did not have the run of the field, but they at least seemed to have the space to pass, that the compression of the midfield that Dallas was doing no longer was working. Then Bonfigli came on and he was an unknown that nobody marked, from what I could tell and he took proper advantage before Dallas figured out that he mattered. The criticism of Sabo on not scoring on his breakaway is, IMO, misplaced. As someone said, where was the support from another RSL player? He should have had someone following the play because of the myriad things that could happen (and one did).

Anyway, a point seemed fair to me.

We now have as many points after 9 games as we did after 9 games in the best season in history, 2010. Still, it is not our highest number of points for 9 games, that was 2011. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

23. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did I totally miss when Diogo was waived? I assume it happened shortly before or after we traded for Estridge. But I missed it.

24. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tweets for both were during the same day iirc.

25. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's one of our draft picks this year, was he not?
    Talk about a whiff on that one.

Speaking of which, anybody know how Enzo is coming along?
    Pretty random that our last pick in the draft is proving to be the best one...