RSL 2012/2013 Offeason News Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Duiz, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Not trying to refute this necessarily, but is it really true that RSL has had more injuries than most teams in the past two years? Could it be that it just seems that way to us as fans, because we suffer through RSL's injuries but don't take much notice when other teams have a lot of injuries? I'd love to see some numbers on this. I'd bet that if you asked most fans if their team had more injuries than average that most would respond that they do. Does anyone keep tracks of minutes missed due to injury? If it shows up that RSL has significantly more injuries than everyone else, I'll be happy to get out my pitchfork and demand the heads of the trainers. Until then, I'm withholding judgment.

15 to 32, MOS5 and Allez RSL repped this.
  2. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MVP: Rimando
    Newcomer: Kwame
    Good surprise: Valazquez, should have got more minutes
    Bad surprise: Steele that he got minutes and is still here.
    Goal: second Espindola goal against L.A. In 3-1 win
    Game of the year: Tied between both L.A. Galaxy victories.

3. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    living in portland and being constantly exposed to the timbers and sounders i would say yes, RSL for some reason has a significantly higher injury rate. and both the timbers and sounders play on turf fields. it's just mind boggling hearing and seeing how many injuries RSL has had over the last 2-3 years.

4. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Info on this year's Gravy Bowl for anyone who wants to come ball: http://www.facebook.com/events/465362290172775/?notif_t=plan_user_invited

All ages/skill levels are invited. Make sure you bring some cans for the Utah Food Bank. I'm not sure if I'll be there, and if I am I'm bringing my kids. Very few things are as rewarding as getting to play soccer with my kids.

5. Bulldog SLC

Bulldog SLC Member

May 4, 2012
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stupd kids and their facebooks:D

6. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry...I forgot that some of you computer-illiterate old farts don't have facebook.:) Here's the details:
    Who: Everyone
    What: 8th annual Gravy Bowl
    When: Thursday 11/22 9:00 am
    Where: Cottonwood Heights Rec Center, 7500 S 2700 E
    Why: Because playing American football with your overly-competitive cousins on Thanksgiving sucks
    How: However the hell you want

Bulldog SLC repped this.
  7. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgot about the international spot. Maybe I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel on him, but it certainly wouldn't hurt if we were to dump him for another 40k guy that doesn't cost us a slot.

Re: Injuries. Yes, I'd say we've had a lot more than most teams. When our 'starting 11' played ~45 minutes together all season, then I'd say we were on the wrong end of injuries. For most of the season we basically had one CB out, one almost back, and maybe two healthy.

8. ShaggyReAL

ShaggyReAL Awesome is my middle name

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MVP: Johnny Steele
    New Comer: Johnny Steele
    Biggest Surprise (positive): Johnny Steele
    Biggest Surprise (negative): Johnny Steele
    Goal of the Year: Johnny Steele (Portland)
    Game of the Year: Johnny Steele (Portland)

9. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I think Prime already posted that of the 6 slots we now have, we aren't even using them all. Hence, it is not "wasted" on Bonfigli as we have several to spare.

Ismitje repped this.
  10. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does he not count because he's one of the roster spots that don't count against the cap? Or does he have a green card?

11. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Bonfligli is one of our 6 allotted.

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the frothing about Espindola, in both directions... Look, every player that has a rumor about them, every actual trade that happens is going to very likely cause fuming and foaming and cheering from this corner and that. Relax. Relax. Ignore rumors, pay attention to outcomes, and look for a theme for how the team is rebuilding.

If you all get upset about every thing you hear, mine is not going to be the only heart attack story told here.

MOS5 repped this.
  14. MOS5

MOS5 Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I put the injury numbers together and they can be seen here:

RSL 2012 Injury Numbers

I got all the information from the game previews so who knows how accurate this is.

What do these numbers mean? I have no idea. I do think that international call-ups and suspensions were a large reason why our "First XI" only got 45 minutes together this year.

Allez RSL and Ivensor repped this.
  15. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goodbye Bonfigli!

16. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I love the rumors. Makes the offseason a little more bearable.

To bad RSL is good at keeping things under wraps. While other teams go crazy with all kinds o rumors of trades and transfers we get nothing, nothing, nothing, BAM no comment, nothing, nothing, BAM current player resigned, nothing, nothing season starts. What!?

Hopefully this offseason is a little more dramatic. We shall see.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure if we discussed it yet, but the Espy to Philly rumor was a hoax, but everyone still agrees that RSL is probably shopping him. Personally I love the rumors too. RSL is too boring without it. I don't think anyone wants something bad for the players personally. Even if Espindola, for example, leaves, I want him to be a starter on another team and do well. But in response, I want RSL to get a even better replacement. This is what makes soccer off-season fun.

My picks

MVP: Nick Rimando
    Newcomer: Kwame Watson-Siriboe
    Good surprise: I thought Sebastian Velasquez was pretty good.
    Bad surprise: Javier Morales not being who he used to be :(
    Goal: Probably one of Fabian Espindola's against LA (@LA)
    Game of the year: Game where RSL came back in the last few minutes against Portland away.

18. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With a salary of $125,000 not so sure why everyone is so OK with RSL shopping him? I think we would be hard pressed to find a better striker at that price.

Allez RSL repped this.
  19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I agree. "being okay" with him leaving is different than "agreeing he is being shopped around". My take is RSL might trade him. Maybe they won't. Thats what most agree with. I feel that Espindola is a really good player, but he has had his ups and downs. If RSL can find a better replacement, then I think they should do it. But if they trade him for some mediocre striker just because he is say $75k, then its a bad move. We already have Braun. :(

20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being "up" in a comparatively meaningless regular season game and "down" in championship and playoff games is not really okay, even at $125,000.

DrownedElf, Allez RSL and UPinSLC repped this.
  21. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems our 300 thousand dollar man suffers from the same ailment.

22. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, look at his goals in the 2011 playoff series against Seattle and in the CCL both times through. Sabo scored 3 of our 4 goals in the 2011 playoffs, and had virtually no service this time around. He also scored 2 of our 3 goals in the CCL this time around.

There's nothing like the open goal misses from Espindola in there. And Espy notched 0 goals in the 2011 playoffs, none in the 2012 CCL, and none in the 2012 playoffs (with the no service caveat on the latter as well).

MOS5, DrownedElf and UPinSLC repped this.
  23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get it that Espindola works his butt off, and I appreciate it. But when it comes down to it, we need better. Also, Espindola fits the "can we get something better" category. Others like Javi, have the dreadful distinction of "can we get something better" and "I have a bloated contract". The latter is a huge problem for RSL.

Does anyone think Morales will try to move to another MLS team to keep his high salary?

24. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Espindola is affordable and a fan favorite who sells seats. He's very popular. It'd be foolish to move him.

25. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, this argument is such crap. Espy can just as easily be replaced by the next fan favorite, there have been fan favorites before him to go and their will be in the future. Fans will still come to games as long as the team WINS, winning is all that matters.

RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.