RSL 2012/2013 Offeason News Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Duiz, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I hope you're right, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Luckily I never had to do the beep test, I always cringe when I think about it during every RSL preseason.

2. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what happens if you "flash"? Does that mean you are disqualified?

3. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that many foreign armed forces use the test, but none of the US armed forces. I wonder what the reason is, other than the ol' "not-invented-here" syndrome. Or it could be that drill instructors looked at it and decided that they have even more sadistic "tests" that recruits can perform. "Bends and thrusts begin, right g*d d**m now!!"

4. Bulldog SLC

Bulldog SLC Member

May 4, 2012
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I for one do not want to see him "flash"

5. Liv34s0ccer

Liv34s0ccer Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    interesting you noticed that too. being prior service we always wondered why any of the physical tests applied. i cannot for the life think of a situation where we would be doing sprints back and forth for 3 miles. I guess if we did practice this we would be pretty good at the "serpentine"

6. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    UPinSLC and 15 to 32 repped this.
  7. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, who says this team can't win hardware? ;)

And I'm wondering what scarf that is he's wearing...clearly not an RSL scarf.

But seriously, Bill deserves this award. He's a great guy, a shrewd businessman, and has a great FO beneath him. Things have changed night and day since 2005 when our FO was about as highly regarded as our team.

8. Zacalie

Zacalie Member

May 14, 2010
    Gilbert, AZ
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I swung by Casa Grande on my way down to Tucson from Phx to catch a few minutes of training. Pretty boring drills while I was there but I did notice one thing: did homeboy shave his head? Not a great look but maybe he felt it necessary now that he's a regular with the Nats?

9. TheCrossbar

TheCrossbar New Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait—who? You've forgotten to include a name.

10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Homeboy = Rimando
    And you call yourself an rsl fan...

BalanceUT and RSLer repped this.
  11. TheCrossbar

TheCrossbar New Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, that was my first thought, but that doesn't seem like a new look for him. Unless, of course, we're talking shave-shaved, in which case... but photos yesterday didn't seem to indicate such.

12. STGCaveman

STGCaveman Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Brigham City, UT
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes I did one once for Steel Days in American Fork a few years ago. One of the worst and best experiences of my life. Biking and Donuts are not a great combo but it was somehow awesome at the same time.

13. Zacalie

Zacalie Member

May 14, 2010
    Gilbert, AZ
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm talking Mr. Clean shaved, AZ sun glinting off of it and all that. Pretty sure it was him unless we have another slightly paunchy, skinny-legged, short keeper trialing this week (wearing the #1 keeper jersey, too).

14. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. MOS5

MOS5 Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good article, but kind of concerning.

While I agree with and support the trade that send Johnson to Portland, I think we are going to miss his ability to drop into the back line and fill in for injuries and absences.

16. Section 5

Section 5 Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if anyone is listening, but Garth is on ESPN 700's On Frame, and is hopeful there will be "forward signing announcements by the end of the week".

17. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's because the beep test is a measure of "explosive" muscle strength, which is useful for sports where you do a lot of fast running, but for very short periods. The US military seems more interested in endurance strength, where you have to hump a 50 pound pack, your rifle, ammunition, food, radios, batteries, etc., for long distances. You might be able to ace the beep test, but if after a mile and a half into a 25 mile hump, you are lying face down in the dirt, exhausted, then you won't be of any use.

I can see a beep test just being another physical test where if you fail (and you know you will no matter how good you are), your drill instructors can verbally abuse you as being a non-hacker and a disgusting fat body, but as long as you can complete all the endurance tests, nobody will actually care.

18. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Cole Grossman is a box-to-box guy who has played all over the park including fullback and halfback.

20. MOS5

MOS5 Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't know that about Grossman. Would you say he's a poor man's Will Johnson then?

21. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dunny seems to know who the forward is, and he sounded very positive and excited about the forward and how our attack will look this year. Color me intrigued.

RSLer repped this.
  22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that RSL will not participate in the MLB/NHL version until maybe next year. This year, the reserve squad takes on Phoenix FC twice at home. Which should be interesting, but not really the same.

23. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    I wonder if that's partially because Phoenix FC is a new club, and RSL may be a bit reluctant to hitch their wagon to them quite yet. I'm hoping to get some insight from GL on this.

24. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I read, MLS clubs can field their own reserve league team (and I guess call it whatever they want. Utah Highlanders anyone?) or have an agreement with an established team which is what SKC has done with Orlando.

25. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone, I have some news to share. This is huge news. Groundbreaking news. Of all the news I've shared with you in my time here, this is by far the most important.

RSL now has a boobment account on Twitter. @RSLboobs

If you don't know what the boobment is, read this article.

So now it's up to you, RSL fans, to turn this into a success. This is the kind of thing that I think all of us (with the possible exception of Lizzie) can get behind...or in front of...or whatever.