RSL 2012/2013 Offeason News Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Duiz, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably a pipe dream, but this kid screams young designated player
    Kevin Harbottle

4:02 - 4:25 is just plain dirty

2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure about the first part, but yes Olave and Freddy Montero were both with Cali

3. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No outrage, just interesting how the United States ranked 7 in gun violence in the world must be a better place to live than Mexico which ranks 17. Several U.S soccer players are currently playing in Mexico would be Interesting to get their take on life of a soccer player in Mexico.

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, we have a team in this league who plays in the DC area at RFK stadium...

5. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly the U.S. overall is a more dangerous place - no doubt there - but in the U.S. we don't see a lot of athletes/wealthies targeted specifically for ransom. In Latin America that tends to be (generally) more the case. A few years ago Manu Ginobili's family was kidnapped and held for ransom in Argentina and that has happened a few times since then to the families of players in the FMF. It's gotten to the point that many players pay out of pocket for their families to have bodyguards 24/7. Not saying it's a guarantee that it would happen to - God forbid - Javi's family, or that his safety is guaranteed here in SLC, just saying it's a factor to consider before moving.

It may be a moot point: Just saw a tweet from JK where he says he's "very hopeful" to have Javi locked up soon. I know JK and he is a very calculated man...doesn't speak before he thinks and only says what he really means. I have to think that, if he's tweeting something like this, that he is very confident it will get done.
    Yes. I know for a fact that someone from the staff was on business in Colombia recently.

6. burninator

burninator Member

Aug 7, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Sidenote: for everyone saying the USA is more dangerous than Mexico because of guns, I'm pretty sure that's inaccurate. Statistically speaking, in 2009, Mexico was 2.65 times more dangerous than the USA in terms of firearm homicides. Numbers on suicides and accidental deaths are not available, but I don't think they really count when we're talking about professional athletes as targets.

I, for one, hope Javi can stay one more year to see if he can recapture the magic.

In the United States, annual firearm homicides total: 2009: 9,146
    In Mexico, annual firearm homicides total: 2009: 8,804
    In the United States, the annual rate of firearm homicide per 100,000 population is: 2009: 2.98
    In Mexico, the annual rate of firearm homicide per 100,000 population is: 2009: 7.9

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/united-states
    http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/mexico
    http://www.gunpolicy.org/about

UPinSLC repped this.
  7. burninator

burninator Member

Aug 7, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Taragui repped this.
  8. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His style of play reminds me of Yura. Someone who's not afraid to turn and take a defender on. We need someone like that to play off of Sabo.

9. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I missing something? He didn't make a single shot, he missed creampuff sitters, he totally whiffed the ball, he didn't make his fellow players better... this was satire, right?

10. d1ddy

d1ddy Member

Oct 8, 2008
    upstate
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ..... now it really sounds like Yura.

15 to 32 repped this.
  11. ShaggyReAL

ShaggyReAL Awesome is my middle name

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. I really wasn't sure if it was a joke.

12. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

RSL Open House -- Details Here

13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first half of the video seemed more dedicated towards his play with his feet. Whoever put the video together, decided to add in him making runs and such where he missed the finish. When I first watched, I had the same reaction as you. I was wondering why this guy had the supposed value he did on that website.

Then I watched from 6:03 on. Where he puts the ball in the net.

When you make a highlight video of someone, especially with how young this guy is, you aren't going to have 9 minutes of goals. What you will have, though, is footage of the kid showing his potential. Putting himself in the right spots to get the goal (which he eventually does). We have to realize that, if the video was 9 minutes of him playing amazing, he wouldn't' be in our price range. We have to see potential in the player, not a finished product. We can't afford that kind of player

UPinSLC repped this.
  14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Furthermore, that kid is 18 years old. He has the confidence to take on players, go for goal (even if unsuccessful) and is good with both feet.

He also, strangely enough, supposedly has a US background. He is listed as having both Chilean and US nationality. He's played for Chile's youth national teams, but hasn't had an official cap yet. If we could get him to the US with a higher salary and get Jurgen's attention, we may have found the future replacement of Donovan

15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ICYMI: I am changing my position covering RSL starting next season...I will be doing radio on ESPN700 full-time as a sideline reporter, and I will also be blogging for the team (this probably isn't a huge surprise since I already did a blog post earlier this week). I have resigned from goal.com to make this work. Leaving my old post was bittersweet but this is my dream job. I hope you'll tune in. Of course I'm always looking to improve so I welcome your feedback.

17. FC-Sky11

FC-Sky11 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats IBIK! Sounds like an amazing gig. I'll be tuning in for sure.

18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am happy for you and maybe happy for me, but maybe not: how will this impact your interaction with us here on the board, if at all?

19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way to land the gig all of us here would probably take a pay cut to get.
    Congrats and best of luck

20. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First and foremost, you owe us all sideline passes and insider access to all things RSL, 24/7. Otherwise I'll start calling in and you'll never hear the end of me ;)

Seriously though, congrats. Can't wait for more good stuff from you.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  21. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No impact that I know of.

A tip for those who want insider information: I will share what I can. Usually I'm told things on grounds of confidentiality (such as this week's trades) and those things I won't share, though I may drop hints that I feel are appropriate. Please don't boardmail, e-mail, or tweet me for inside info. I believe that my word to others is worth something and I would like it to stay that way, so absolutely no dice on that front. There's no faster way out of this business than breaking confidence. When I speculate or give my opinion, I will say so.

On that subject, two things I want to get out of the way:
    1. I believe there's a better than 50/50 chance Javi will stay, but I am mostly speculating.
    2. I have zero idea who RSL is looking at bringing in for Espy.

15 to 32 and Allez RSL repped this.
  22. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it makes you feel better, I took one too. In no way could my RSL hobby ever come close to paying the bills. That's why I have a "real job".

15 to 32 and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  23. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Awesome news, IBIK.

Oh, the prank calls we could make... Not by me, of course...

:whistling:

lurpythepirate and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  24. Bulldog SLC

Bulldog SLC Member

May 4, 2012
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats! The bunch of us are so jealous! :D

25. elrey

elrey Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    2 questions
    1. whith some of these High light videos is there a way to summit them to the FO?
    2. With the Caio Player if you click on his name it brings up his player profile. On there it say Player Value of 800,000 to 900, 000. Is that in Euros or brazilian Money and is that how much his club is asking or thats how much he get paied?