Rowdies in the media

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Rowdies' started by Bluesfan, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I wanted to start a thread to track the Rowdies' media efforts. Starting in the playoffs last season, the club is showing signs of promoting itself better. It still isn't where we would like to see it, but at least it isn't a complete ghost anymore in the local media.

I don't listen to the radio very much, but was in a store last week and heard an advertisement on 93.3 for the I4 Derby match. To be quite honest, I was shocked. A good sign of things to come?

Then there is this: http://cltampa.com/tampa/why-the-rowdies-rule/Content?oid=3675940
    This is the digital version of what I stumbled across on the front page of the print edition this morning. It isn't the Tampa Bay Times for sure, but CL did give the Rowdies regular coverage last year and really jumped on the band wagon with some other media outlets during the post season. Nice to see the area's hipster weekly getting out in front of the band wagon this year.

2. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hearing reports of Rowdies ads on digital billboards around town. Can anyone else confirm?

Also, there are apparently ads running on 98 rock for the I4 Derby.

I've been told the team will be using the same strategy as they used for last year's soccer bowl championship match. Rather than marketing all the time, they will "blow it up" in the two weeks leading up to big games.

So let's see what the results are. If the stadium is full on the 6th, maybe we can all finally breath a little?

If there are 3500 in attendance again I'll be upset.

5. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. and also I never saw this, in St. Pete Times, under Soccer they had USA vs Mexico and in bold: Rowdies and the players they recently acquired.

6. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I frankly didn't see marketing 'all the time' in years past. If that is what they thought they were doing, then, wow.

During the playoffs it was a blitz, or as close to you can get to that with a niche sport. The key is the club was doing its own marketing efforts and the media was cooperating. It seems that maybe they have finally made the contacts within in different news organizations to get their message out. The mob helps a lot, because it is such a unique feature of the sport. It is a story that the media likes telling. Also, the club is finally doing what the old Rowdies did and pimp out the players anywhere they can get them. They are on the local morning shows on the tube, they were in the St. Pete night parade last week (perfect timing), they are showing up more and more.

The idea is that you don't run ads promoting the team, you run ads to sell tickets. So yes, you dump ads in the couple weeks before a home game. They are learning, hopefully it pays off.

You know that averaging 3500 would be an improvement, right?:p

I am hoping for the big push that is going on to result in a couple nice crowds for Saturday night and the opener. Would be nice to get a full house, but I know that is dreaming. Nothing is done overnight, but I would be satisfied if 3,500 became the new floor for attendance and big games pulled in 4,500 or so.

7. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Averaging 3500 would indeed be a big bump and a positive sign (how positive is debatable, I guess).

But pulling 3500 at the home opener should be thought of as a disappointing, IMO anyway.

8. FNovoa

FNovoa Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Redington Shores, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Great idea for the thread Charles. If the rowdies won't market, we'll do it for them.

9. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I think the days of the club not marketing itself are over....for now. There has to be results or the campaign will fizzle out. I still would like to see some creative theme nights to drive new fans into the stadium. Latin night, food truck rally, a dog night, whatever works.

10. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please no ffs dog nights. the other stuff I can maybe live with, but bring your pet night is dumb as hell.

11. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I was thinking to put them in the outfield area, not in the stands. Would be funny to see dozens of them take off after stray balls.

12. FNovoa

FNovoa Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Redington Shores, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Absolutely. I've been saying this for years with the mob out marketing the rowdies at times. I enjoy it, and wait forthe rowdies to really market the heck out of themselves.

13. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Well, I take my hat off to the club. They have gotten the team in the media and done their own ads in the run up to tonight's match. Ads on a variety of popular radio stations, ads in newspapers, local tv coverage. I won't knock them for trying, hopefully their sales people are as effective as the promotions team.

14. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  16. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Derek Sharpe. He is a fan of the game and,often talks soccer on 620 WDAE.

17. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    And that is his strong points. Being a fan and talking it up on his sports bulletin reports.

He was horrible at calling games. Enthusiasm only takes you so far. In fact, I would say that in his case it hurt his performance.

kenntomasch repped this.
  18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are lots and lots and lots of fans of the game you would not necessarily want to hear call games.

19. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't heard him call a game. I'm usually sitting in the stands watching.

20. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pretty bad.

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think so too Charlie?

Other than his percieved lack of skill calling our games, I think he's a nice guy,Ive talked to him a couple of times at our games and he was very friendly.

23. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya, I'm not a fan of his work on Rowdies games. That has nothing to do with him as a person.

24. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    http://cltampa.com/dailyloaf/archiv...ndup-speculations-on-tampa-bay-vs-san-antonio

The Rowdies continue to get good ink in Creative Loafing. CL has a more detailed description of tonight's away match than either major newspaper or the Rowdies own site for that matter.

Just a few nitpicks. First, Shane Hill is referred as a key player (????) and it is implied that the Scorpions have been around for two seasons.

Otherwise, a great article with quotes from the coach and analysis.

25. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The free TBO newspaper had a one page article too about the game.