Rowdies 2013 Roster thread

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Rowdies' started by Bluesfan, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Should be interesting to see which players return for 2013. The only players that I know of that are signed for sure are Ambersley and Sanfilippo (both through 2014). Most players in the NASL are on one year or two year contracts, with the second year being at the club's option. Few details are made known when a player is signed. I know that Antoniuk only signed a one year deal. Last year the Rowdies made decisions on the club options pretty quick after the season ended.

Being champion, obviously returning most everyone would be a good start. The few question marks I see are:

1. Yamada. Injury ended his playoff run and he isn't exactly a spring chicken, but I think he is one of the more capable defenders in the league. Would like to see him back.

2. Shane Hill. He actually improved in my opinion this season. Of course he had lots of room to do so, but still, I think we could use an upgrade in the midfield.

3. Antoniuk. As stated above, he only signed for one year. He is an enigma. Leading scorer but only played as a sub for the most part. I personally love what he does, but why doesn't Hill play him more? He might be looking to move on where he gets more playing time.

2. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm certain that Stuart Campbell is returning. I'm fairly certain Mike Ambersley is returning, didn't he sign an three year deal last year?

Do not expect Attinella to return.

I hope very much that we hang on to Luke Mulholland, but I'm sure his agent will be active. Luke now has two championships under his belt and has really done well in the NASL.

3. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Yes, Ambersley is entering year two of a three year deal. You are right, Campbell is probably going to be back. There are very few on this team I would want to get rid of, more interested in those that will leave for greener pastures.

You really think Atinella will leave? I looked, but couldn't find confirmation on his contract status, but I would assume that the club has at least an option for next season. I doubt they ditched Daryl Sattler for Jeff without signing him to a multi-year deal.

Mulholland would be in demand if he is a free agent. Once again, hopefully the club was smart enough to sign him to a two or three year deal.

4. Soccer Budgie

Soccer Budgie Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Good find. So he is a free agent now and I am sure that he will test the waters to see what he can find. I would like to think that the Rowdies could retain him over another offer from a NASL club. If MLS comes calling it would probably be a backup gig so we still might be able to keep him. Who knows. If he goes the European route then he might be good as gone.

6. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't expect him to be back. Obviously he MIGHT be back, but as a free agent and with his skill set and highlight reel, I'll be surprised if he doesn't catch on somewhere. He'll probably be expecting to be a back up somewhere and get limited playing time at first, but he'll also be making more money (hopefully) and be working on getting a chance at a much higher level.

Stuart is back next season for sure.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the thing going against Atinella staying with Rowdies is the low-budget approach the team has. New teams like the Cosmos out there looking for a quality keeper and MLS teams looking for up-n-comers to replace aging players .(look at what Saunders and Knighton did in MLS this year), not even counting his potential overseas.

Yeah its going to be hard for Tampa to keep Atinella.

8. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what low budget approach? I don't believe we have even close to the smallest payroll in lower division soccer.

If Attinella moves up it is because he deserves it and has the skills to do so even if the Rowdies could offer to pay him a ton of money I can't imagine Jeff taking money over the opportunity to step up to MLS or Europe.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had read that Tampa took a lower cost approach to the player budget this year. Not as low as Minnesota but lower.

But the main point is that Attinella did a great job this year and should have other opportunities that might be bigger than the Rowdies (if thats possible).

10. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear ya, just don't think it was THAT low. But even if the Rowdies were the highest paying lower division soccer team in the U.S., Jeff would still be likely to move on.

I just hope we are smart enough to spend money on a good keeper to replace him, rather than trying to unearth another Attinella from the college ranks. That is a long, long shot and a lesser goal keeper means we'd have had no shot at a title this year.

11. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The idea that the Rowdies have the smallest payroll because they are cheap is unfounded speculation. They have obviously skimped in other areas, but no one knows what Div II salaries are, so the Rowdies players might be well paid or not. I tend to think they are competitive with other teams. They signed Mulholland who had to be one of the more desirable D2 players and they also picked up Ambersley a few years back and he should have had multiple suitors as well.

I have previously stated that the Rowdies have had the smallest roster in the league. They don't waste money on having a thirty player roster. That is a tribute to Hill and his ability to have a core of fifteen players he sticks with through thick and thin (and few injuries as well).

I have a hunch that the Rowdies will try to match any competitive offer Jeff gets. If it is another NASL club, I think they get close enough and Jeff stays. He could get an MLS offer, but as an untried goalkeeper at the MLS level, it will be a low offer. Jeff might want to give it a go for the opportunity, with the Rowdies as a fall back. Remember there are plenty of good goalkeepers here in America. In fact, except for the Cosmos, I am not sure that goalkeeper is a glaring need for any of the NASL teams.

12. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rowdies have announced some significant roster moves

http://www.rowdiessoccer.com/index.php?id=52&newsid=3527

"
    The Tampa Bay Rowdies announced on Tuesday that the club has exercised contract options for forward Mike Ambersley, forward Carl Cort, midfielder Raphael Cox, midfielder Luke Mulholland, defender Daniel Scott and goalkeeper Andrew Fontein ensuring their return for the 2013 season."

"In addition, the team declined contract options for defender Eddie Ababio, defender Andres Arango, defender JP Rodrigues, midfielder Dan O'Brien and forward Matt Clare."

13. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The way the release was phrased seems that the guys that had their options declined are in fact, not in the Rowdies plans for next year. Of that group, Rodrigues surprises me. I would like to know more about that decision. Maybe they didn't want to deal with those troublesome Guyana call ups anymore. o_O

Of the group in limbo still, if they retain most of them, the club should be in good shape for next season. The biggest question mark obviously being Attinella. If Jeff doesn't re-sign, hopefully we can get someone like Bill Guadette in here. Someone with a good amount of experience.

14. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they retain Fafa Picault.

also here's a list of players from MLS somebody posted:

Full list of players available in the MLS re-entry draft ... also possible targets for NASL clubs:
    Goalkeepers (3): Bryan Sylvestre (Vancouver), Jeremy Vuolo (NY Red Bulls), Bill Gaudette (NY Red Bulls)
    Defenders (11): Jonathan Borrajo (NY Red Bulls), Cyprian Hedrick (Sporting KC), Ian Hogg (Portland). Flo Lechner (New England), Alex Lee (FC Dallas), Porfirio Lopez (Philadelphia), Neven Markovic (Sporting KC), Carlos Rodriguez (FC Dallas), Tyler Ruthven (NY Red Bulls), Nemanja Vukovic (Columbus Crew), Dicoy Williams (Toronto FC), Luis Zapata (Colorado Rapids)
    Midfielders (14): Freddie Braun (Portland), Julio Cesar (Sporting KC), Oscar Cordon (Toronto FC), Edu (Colorado Rapids), Gabriel Gomez (Philadelphia), Cole Grossman (Columbus Crew), Evan James (Montreal Impact), Bryan Leyva (FC Dallas), Nico Muniz (Real Salt Lake), Alec Purdie (New England), Jan Gunnar Solli (NY Red Bulls), Teemu Tainio (NY Red Bulls), Tiago Ulisses (Vancouver), Konrad Warzycha (Sporting KC)

Forwards (14): Jose Angulo (NY Red Bulls), Jhonny Arteaga (NY Red Bulls), Etienne Barbara (Vancouver), Blake Brettschneider (New England), Sercan Guvenisic (San Jose), Corey Hertzog (NY Red Bulls), Matias Jara (FC Dallas), Nicholas Lindsay (Toronto FC), Ruben Luna (FC Dallas), Keith Makabuya (Toronto FC), Charles Renken (Portland), Michael Roach (New England), Olman Vargas (Columbus Crew), Krystian Witkowski (Philadelphia)

15. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The one name from that list that I think we have a chance of signing is Bill Gaudette.

16. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need some defenders too.

17. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barbara is likely to end up back in the NASL as well and I'd be surprised if the Rowdies aren't looking at him.

WhiteStar Warriors repped this.
  18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://rowdiessoccer.com/index.php?id=52&newsid=3554

19. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They also exercised their option for midfielder Shane Hill.

20. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Waiting to hear something more official on that.

24. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them