Roster questions and concerns as we head to Honduras

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by deuteronomy, Jan 30, 2013.

1. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of players prefer to play a game every 3-4 days rather than training all week long.

The travel though...oh man the travel...what a pain for some of these guys.

2. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point Dolo looks like he is clearly out. If Fab does not play on Saturday he may also not be ready. If those 2 are not called Evans could sneak in given that Parkhurst has not played since the Danish break and has not gotten into an Augsburg's lineup.

3. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or JK might call up Fabian and Parkhurst anyway. Impossible to tell given his track record. We'll just have to wait and see.

4. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Fab physically can't go, JK will not call him up. JK can certainly decide to only have 3 FBs on roster (Chandler, Castillo, and Parkhurst) but Castillo tends to be fragile so it is a strong possibility that if Dolo and Fab are unavailable we could see (Chandler, Castillo, Parkhurst, Evans)!

Lets pray that Fab is available!

5. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might be mistaken, but hasn't JK called up guys with injury concerns before?

Again, I won't be surprised no matter who he calls up. The guy is completely unpredictable.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  6. Bookmesir

Bookmesir Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking we might see:

--------------------Timmay------------------
    Chandler------Cam----Gonzo------Johnson
    -------------Williams--------
    Zusi------------Bradley------Sasha
    --------------Dempsey--------------
    ----------------Jozy------------------

No Jones, please, the reckless mofo' deserves to sit.
    No Beckerman, too slow.
    Gonzo for Boca is a stretch...but time to put Omar in the 11.
    Chandler gets cap-tied due to Dolo's injury.
    Benny for Zusi ??? based on Canada?...prolly not.
    Dempsey, Jozy, Bradley, Cam and Howard must start (at least the spine of any formation JK chooses is mainly intact).

7. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Cameron? We assume CB, but professionally he's a fullback.

Of course, it'd be a matter of picking your poison -- Castillo, Packhurst, Goodson, Onyewu, Evans, etc. One unimpressive defender somewhere.

8. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Can someone please explain Zusi's possible inclusion to me? A pre-season form winger not fast, creative, or skilled enough to present anything going forward against CANADA, and now we're going to trot him out there vs. a pacey Honduran side?

9. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada was a friendly with a "C" squad where he got no creative help from Evans, Beckerman, or Beltran, or any sort of classy finishing. He's helped us in the previous round of qualifying and is regarded as one of the better MLS players. Even if he doesn't start he has earned the callup.

Berks repped this.
  10. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    When you are playing the wing in JK's system, you are expected to beat a defender one-on-one and get crosses in, not rely on creative help. YOU are supposed to be the creative help. Regardless of how he's done in MLS, what exactly has Zusi shown for the US? I can't recall a meaningful contribution. This is WC qualifying, no time to experiment. Christ, I'd rather trot Beasley out there if it came down to it - at least he's battle tested and used to a hostile environment.

11. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I completely disagree with all of this. So there you have it.

12. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree with you for the most part... but because of Zusi's right foot, and has shown good team work with Cherundulo on the right... he's the go to for the right wing,/CM pairing with Jones and Bradley.

13. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    What good is the good right foot without being able to create separation enough to get a cross in? That was his problem vs Canada, which is an indicator of the form he's in right now. I have nothing against Zusi in general, he just seems a terrible choice for this particular match. I hope he proves me wrong.

Foolishness repped this.
  14. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I don't disagree with you.... but in JK's mind, he's remember what he saw from him in Columbus...and he had a BEAST of a game... this is his hope... he will pull something similar off. I don't see JK risking putting in someone else but Zusi...unless it's donovan.

15. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure his form is off for obvious reasons, but I didn't have a problem overall with his separation or crossing.

16. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    He completed 6 forward passes and wasted 3 opportunities infront of the net. He definitely didn't have a beast game. He didn't link anything up and if it wasn't for Dolo being dolo then Zusi would've looked even worse.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  17. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you disagree with the poster's representation of JK's requirement of his attacking wide players or do you disagree with JK's requirement?

18. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Maybe I am remembering it wrong...but I remember being thoroughly surprised with his play that game, before he was completely gassed and had to get subbed out. All I remember is him having a great game, and hitting the post on a great exchange with Cherundolo. He had great chemistry all game with Steve the whole game!

19. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    Ya, I think everyone left with this idea that Zusi was having a great game because he had a bunch of Shots on Goals but in actuality he did shit all but waste opportunities. That game was dominated by Danny Williams who moved the ball around exceptionally well, everyone else looked rather shitty to be honest. Well, except our defense.

Honestly, I don't remember Zusi having the best chemistry with Steve. I remember dolo being all over pitch in that game though.

20. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zusi wasn't playing winger. He was playing as a RM in a midfield diamond. Zusi is expected to work hard, maintain possession, put good balls into the box and combine with a RB in attack. He won't and can't attack and dribble at pace consistently.

We didn't start the game with any wingers. The outside backs were supposed to provide the width. They didn't.

kokoplus10 repped this.
  21. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I don't disagree. This was the game that solidified Danny as a serious '6' for us in the NT pool. Before that he was used as a 'fake RM' played as a Dmid.

Danny did have great, tidy, distribution, but his outlets were Jones, Torres, and Zusi, who would distribute, take and make runs to get open in dangerous positions. Zusi did very well, better than I ever hoped for (mabye thats why I look so highly on his performance). He had a great shot or 2, showed confidence running, combining first touch passes that ultiamtely led to some good chances on our part.

Was he the man taking the shot? Not all the time, but he almost always had at least a touch on each dangerous play that we had. He also had some great service in the box.
    Bingo. JK wants to have CM's control the midfield, with wing play coming from Cherundolo (Chandler) and Johnson (Castillo). This is where majority of crosses will come from. He wants possession, and through passing to runs made by forwards/outside back/wingers from these CM's.

22. PANDEMONEUM

PANDEMONEUM Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Club:
    Asteras Tripolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    id like for us to go with our "attacking" formation
    4-1-2-3
    but, with injuries and travel fatigue
    we could go more defensive
    4-2-3-1
    i hope Fabian is good to go
    i dont want to see Castillo
    im all for starting Omar at CB

what i would like to see
    dempsey - gomez - eddieJ
    bradley - kljestan
    williams
    fab - omar - cam - chand

i wouldnt mind Edu over Williams. good reports for Edus play in Turkey
    Zusi over EddieJ
    Altidore over Gomez or EddieJ

23. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both.

24. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overall Danny didn't have much to do that game...similar to Beckerman recently. But hey, they both did what was required of them perfectly.

Zusi forced the issue. Which is what was needed. It's a game of inches. If his shot doesn't clang of the crossbar we're calling him the next Messi...okay maybe not that.

25. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Whoa koko didn't realize you were a mod now, congrats buddy!

EruditeHobo, Mr Martin and dwsmith1972 repped this.