Roster for Honduras

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by HartwickFan, Feb 4, 2013.

1. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you guys really think Honduras will be bunkering on us, at home? I don't think JK thinks so, so he went defensive with our roster.

neems, onefineesq and COMtnGuy repped this.
  2. aw072760

aw072760 Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Dallas, Tx
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point was he plays so far up the field that he'd probably be a better option wide left, than anyone else on the roster, no? And his biggest critique is his defending, so why not push him up the field?

3. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd bet some $$ that EJ is still faster than Shea.

And he has actually learned to start his run before the ball is passed, a previous big weakness, something Shea still has to learn, which makes him faster still...

4. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't think Gatt is ready yet. He was ineffective against a weak Canada team (and tired to boot). I like his effort, energy and speed but needs to grow tactically. I bet he has a future with NT. I hope to see him in the Gold Cup matches.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  5. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    I'm sure the concern here is that Honduras will go one up and then sit back. In that case, we'd need width to bring them out and speed for to take advantage of limited numerical superiority.

But then, if they are laying back, I assume the belief is that you have Zusi and/or Davis to fire poor balls into the forwads.

6. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, have you ever seen Ian and Ole at the same time?:p

ElasticNorseman and FloridaFC2MLS repped this.
  7. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd just like to say for the record that -- without much by way of evidence or analysis -- I still think Torres is going to come good in this cycle.

Especially with LD's absence, this squad is in serious need of some creativity. And I think (hope?) he can provide it if he gets some confidence going under JK.

Fingers crossed.

tab5g repped this.
  8. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    I need to go learn more about Honduras now -- I can always only remember these teams from the previous cycle, and of course things change.

No glaring criticism of the talent pool chosen* to travel; let's see who/how JK elects to start the game.

No matter what, go Yanks!

*meaning, available to be chosen. Of course would prefer Landon was going.

9. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    In Catracho_Azul's projected starting XI in the other thread several days ago, only Figueroa and Costly started the October 2009 match.

Only Howard, Bocanegra and Bradley seem likely to start again for the US, and surprisingly they are the only 3 from that starting XI that even got called up for Wednesday's match.

10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you, Lou. I must admit to a certain level of perplexity with the idea myself. The majority of posters seem to be in agreement that we need players to break down a bunker. Honduras is not a team that bunkers normally. And they certainly won't be doing that at home, against the US. And if they score 1 goal, they will be looking to score a 2nd, and a 3rd. The notion that they will be looking to kill off 80 minutes of game after scoring a goal is absurd. They aren't Guatemala.

11. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like others, I'm most nervous about our lack of pace on the wings, but JK's hands are somewhat tied. I have little confidence in Zusi/Davis at this level but at the same time there isn't much JK can do until we start developing more wingers.

Not unlikely come the next qualifiers we'll have both Landon and Shea which adds a completely different element to our roster. By June, we might also add Holden to those two and maybe soon after Gatt will be ready although he looks to need a little time.

A lot will depend on how we line up though and how many defenders JK lines up across our midfield. Will Kljestan be a starter or a sub. That will be telling of his mentality going into the game.

I don't like Torres as anything but a deeper lying 8 as a sub. Starting him on the wing would be an exercise in stupidity.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  12. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    IDK... Chandler hasn't played in a game that counts with this team. It wouldn't surprise me if Parkhurst starts. I think Chandler will play one way or another to cap tie him but am not sure about his being the starter.

Maybe JK will see how they look in practice before making a decision? Im also worried about the prospects of a Boca start. He's hurt us a lot lately and I think we have better options at this point

13. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Sadly, our manager sometimes likes to exercise twice a day before a match, so there may even be some extra stupidity.

StillKickin repped this.
  14. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what Honduras does. They counter attack. It's not necessarily "bunkering." It's ceding possession in one area of the field and pressuring heavily in another.

Honduras beat Canada 8-1 in Honduras, but Canada won the possession battle.

neems and tab5g repped this.
  15. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Im beginning to think the biggest problem is the lack of attack from the halfback spots, not the forwards. Jozy has scored a lot this year and yet when he plays for JK, its like hes not there. We hardly got a shot against Canada... I think the issue here is too many defensive midfielders and not enough creativity

While I like Torres in general, I think Benny or even Freddy are better AM options than anyone on this roster. I am afraid of the result for this game

16. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully Jozy can get some solid service... it's about time he gets some more goals for the Yanks.

17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Shea like Donovan, Beasley(back in the day), and Gatt can pull away from dudes. EJ's lack of breakaway speed stuck out in Prem--along with the lack of ball skills and tactical nous. Love what he has done with his dribbling and passing in the way of improvement however.

18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He did decently enough against Scotland, Brazil, and Jamaica playing on the left. He's not the problem as a starter but he's not the solution either.

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Hopefully he can stay active and make smart runs as he has done lately in Holland.

20. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

4231/433... The wingers are who I'm unsure of. EJ seems like the obviously choice because of his speed but then either Herc or Zusi at the other spot.

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I just mean that JK isn't the type to 'gamble on youth' in games that matter. I thought Gatt stretched out Canada a few times, but agree he isn't quite ready yet.

22. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listening to the Klinsman conference call, he seemed to more enthusiastic about Benny Feilhaber than before. Says he's close to the #usmnt" - Brian Sciaretta

I could see Benny replacing one of the Brads in the next qualifiers.

23. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Good. He probably should have been called up for this match, but oh well.

24. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    The midfield triangle is inverted for JK. Those wishing for the dual 6/8 pullies of Bradley and Jones with no dedicated #6 behind will be disappointed.
    He will have a dedicated #6 in this match, and JK doesn't give a rat's if that guy gives us nothing going forward. Odds on who that #6 is for me are:
    Williams 49%
    Edu 49%
    Bradley 1.9%
    Jones 0.1%

COMtnGuy, Mr Martin, Konut and 3 others repped this.
  25. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that he would have been called up to, he seemed more logical than Brad Davis because of his WCQ experience.... I just realized Beckerman wasn't called up, big shock.