Roster for Honduras

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by HartwickFan, Feb 4, 2013.

1. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only "surprise" for me is choosing Parkhurst over Goodson. But given the qualities that the Honduran front line bring to the table (quickness, dribbling skills, speed), I think it is the right decision.

2. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    Injured.

Skippysasquirrel repped this.
  3. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Skippysasquirrel repped this.
  4. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    Yea, but I think a lot of people feel that he's more dangerous if he's closer to the goal. If LD or Shea were in front of him, I can see him playing LB and being a more offensive threat. If he ends up having to pick up defensive responsibilities for a weaker LM, then he's able to bring less to the field.

5. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    All that really means is we'll be down 2 in the first 35min.

The game will go like this, blah, blah, blah, Howard miracle save, blah, blah, blah, Howard miracle save, blah, red card, blah, blah, US hits crossbar in 90th minutes, rebound to Jozy is skied.

FJ taps in final pass of hte match for a 1-0 victory.

6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    They don't even play the same position.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  7. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parkhurst can play CB. The Evans inclusion is odd because frankly he was awful against Canada and he's not going to play any sort of role in this match.

8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He almost exclusively plays lb for his club.

9. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    A guy can dream, can't he?

10. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Evans wasn't awful. He was just a non-existent attacking midfielder.

Mr Martin repped this.
  11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Parkhurst is purely an emergency CB at club level and not a CB at international level(see e.g. the Gold Cup he played in). Evans was excellent at rb and in central midfield. Where did he fail in either position?

12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I don't get the pathological obsession with Edu. Every mid candidate is 'better than Edu'. Edu is too old, too this too that. He's not even a pivotal player in the team.

Editor In Chimp repped this.
  13. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure he was fine at RB but he didn't have much to do (then again, neither did the entire team) but he was a dud in midfield... obviously him being played in a creative role was basically setting him up to fail.

14. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    The only person in this thread complaining about Edu would have preferred we called up Bradley Johnson instead.

15. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

Plus, in a pinch, he's cover for the center D's.

16. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley Johnson of Norwich is partially American? Well, you learn something new everyday.

17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    This is more of a Charles Peirce kind of squad.

18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Nah, it's something that happens across a number of threads.

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He did his job. The team rarely uses a creative player in central midfield. Chandler is the starting RB in any event.

20. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    now i understand B Johnson isn't eligible, i wasn't sure. but if you'd chose Edu over Johnson to be a CM on any team you controlled you'd be an idiot. Johnson is better than Edu as a CM and a footballer. evidenced by the fact that Johnson is a key starter for a mid table EPL club and Edu couldn't hack it at a mid table EPL club and got shipped to Bursaspor.

unless of course you think your judgement on such things is better than Pulis and Houghton.

21. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's official. Lichaj shot JK's kitten. The guy can play left or right back, can provide width and is pretty pacey. Maybe he ain't the best defender, but he would provide coverage for another guy who is pretty pacey and ain't the best defender, Castillo. I am very concerned about the lack of a strong defender on the left. Hopefully JK uses a back four of TC, Gonzo, Bocanegra and Cameron as the LB. Anyone else feel that would be a pretty solid back four?

Editted: My bad, scrap the whole thing. I didn't realize Fabian was back from injury. I thought our projected starter was Castillo.

OK, so a back four of TC, Cameron, Boca, and FJ. Not bad at the flanks, somewhat slowish in the middle, but a solid pair positionally I would assume.

22. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    Yes, I noted the same thing as well. I'm not high on Castillo but if our offense is stalling and Honduras is bunkering late it would make sense to sub Castillo to left back and push Johnson up, or vice versa for Parkhurst and Chandler, although Chandler is not as polished as Johnson offensively IMO. I'd rather have seen Gatt as the late sub than Castillo however.

And of course none of these wingbacks were produced in the US Soccer system- so the problem is likely to continue unfortunately.

23. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whats up with people suddenly talking about Bradley Johnson again? This was quashed by Ives way back in 09 and not only are some of you going on about it but Ian Darke mentioned it on Twitter as well. Is there some sort of new development?
    Or does Ian Darke go on Bigsoccer? o_O

russ and Chance repped this.
  24. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering the same thing! Seemed way too timely.

FloridaFC2MLS repped this.
  25. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    Davis and Evans are there as beneficiaries of a January camp as has been noted. I'm not sure how you can say Edu and Torres aren't US national team quality when both have appeared at the WC. I understand that you may not think they are top quality, but right now they are there, or thereabouts, for the US. I'm pretty sure both are on the right side of 30 as well.

While I have reservations about Klinsmann's talent assessment, and more importantly, his tactical approach with the talent at hand, I wouldn't put it quite so absolutely. There are guys who can fill in out wide (Williams not being one of them) while not being natural to the position. And as I and others have said, our presumed starting wingbacks for this match will compensate for the lack of width in midfield. It's not a perfect solution but a good result is possible with this roster. Re: Torres and Edu- Torres has always used the ball quite well IMO against bunkering opponents and Edu is useful to break up play and protect a lead- both useful qualities off the bench depending on the scenario. Given the midfield four will probably consist of Bradley, Jones, Williams and one other (Klejstan?, Zusi?) I don't see too much wrong with their inclusion.

One humiliating loss will not get Klinsmann fired. He's too big a fish, with a likely guaranteed salary and Gulati's credibility is tied to his success.

I didn't see Johnson this weekend, but having seen him play on multiple occasions, I think you're overrating him (unless you mean Davis and Evans) and that is even assuming he is eligible and/or interested.