Roster for Honduras

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by HartwickFan, Feb 4, 2013.

1. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Johnson is eligible, despite remarks he may have made. He obviously doesn't understand US citizenship if he is basing his hopes on the fact that one of his grand parents is/was African American.

"Johnson qualifies for the USA though his African-American grandfather and he admits he has already held talks with head coach Bob Bradley, although a shock call-up is unlikely to happen beforeSouth Africa[​IMG]next summer.

The winger admits he would jump at the chance of playing international football and would not hesitate in playing for the US should Bradley ever come knocking.
    "My grandfather is an African-American. I've spoken to the USA coach over the phone," he said.
    "The football takes care of itself. If I get called up I'll be happy."
    http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,25212,16710_5617882,00.html

Also, while I won't argue that Torres and Edu are world beaters, I think they have both demonstrated that they are capable of playing decently at the international and CONCACAF levels.

vponce75 and Bolivianfuego repped this.
  2. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't think Johnson is eligible, despite remarks he may have made. He obviously doesn't understand US citizenship if he is basing his hopes on the fact that one of his grand parents is/was African American.

"Johnson qualifies for the USA though his African-American grandfather and he admits he has already held talks with head coach Bob Bradley, although a shock call-up is unlikely to happen beforeSouth Africa[​IMG]next summer.

The winger admits he would jump at the chance of playing international football and would not hesitate in playing for the US should Bradley ever come knocking.
    "My grandfather is an African-American. I've spoken to the USA coach over the phone," he said.
    "The football takes care of itself. If I get called up I'll be happy."
    http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,25212,16710_5617882,00.html

Also, while I won't argue that Torres and Edu are world beaters, I think they have both demonstrated that they are capable of playing decently at the international and CONCACAF levels. [/quote]

well if that is the case it is unfortunate because he is better than all of our CMs except Bradley, Jones and maybe Williams at his best.

and the sad fact that fans still cling to Torres and Edu as "decent" NT level players is revealing. no self respecting top 20 NT should accept guys as crap as them as part of their 2 deep roster ... they aren't any good ... they have huge giant flaws in their games, Edu with lack of passing accuracy and ball turning over and Torres being generally a weak pansy who can only play when there is ZERO pressure on him (not a common occurrence in real NT games, lazy Scotland friendlies aside).

we have got to get past these guys and the 30 year old journeman MLSers who are great for MLS but not good enough physically or in some other way for full WC NT level (Beckerman, Davis, Evans, Wondo, etc).

i'd rather see Mix get a chance because i don't know for a fact he can't hack it at the highest NT level whereas i know Edu can't. if a guy over 28 isn't 1 or 2 on the depth chart at his position he has no business in the NT picture (baring injuries and a reshuffling of the depth chart of course) over a u23 guy who hasn't had his chance to prove one way or the other whether they are full NT quality or not (or have the potential to be).

3. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I love Beasley. I think he is right now as good as he has ever been. He is playing like a true professional. Keep possession, high pressure, and well timed runs and attacking passes.

Just a hunch here, but Beasley is not eating what JK is serving.

4. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this, not because I don't think Beckerman is not good enought, but because it tells us that Klinsman is not locked to anyone. This creates competition and shows everybody that just because you did great last time doesn't guarantee a spot. I figured Beckerman was shoe in from here on based on recent history. So Boca and Cherundolo you have been warned, both of you were great, but you still have to show up and continue to do great things.

Detcelfer repped this.
  5. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, we haven't been a top 20 team for a number of years. Second, I wouldn't characterize Torres as "a weak pansy" but you are entitled to do so. Edu is flawed, I agree, but unless/until Williams gets consistent minutes and FIFA signs off on Alonso, we don't have a lot of clearly superior options.

Torres has had some underwhelming performances for the US [Slovenia, Czech friendly, Canada, friendly, Guat wcq come to mind] but has also put in some shifts I would characterize as good [2 off bench vs El Salvador WCQ, Costa Rica at home in WCQ, Costa Rica, Belgium and Turkey friendlies].

6. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with the Beasley over Davis. Otherwise, there is no glaring exceptions...

7. KHenry14

KHenry14 Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair to Klinnsmann, his two best wide options, Shea and Donovan, aren't available to him right now. I suspect the lineup we will see later in the Hex will be fairly different. Especially if Stu Holden can get into form

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup.

Of course Boca's a slightly different case as he's still the captain of the USMNT, and a great locker-room leader. We may keep calling him up even though he's past his expiration date.

9. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    well he is not Castillo when it comes to being weak and pansyish i agree, but he isn't exactly what one would call robust. which would be fine if he could overcome pressure and physical defence by cool calm collected passing and touch ... which from everything i've seen he can't. so he can't physically stand up to high pressure/physical defence and he can't out think/pass/technique high pressure/physical defence because he collapses like a flan in a cupboard under such.

in other words he's fine for LigaMX but not for a top 20 NT. and yes, we aren't NOW a top 20 NT but isn't that our goal ... where we want to be? we aren't getting there if guys like Torres, Edu, Davis, Evans, Wondo, etc etc etc populate our rosters.

10. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow.

A bit over-the-top regarding Edu. Edu is currently 26 years old, and he is almost certainly #2 on the depth chart at DM behind Williams. And Williams has had a rough run of form lately. Edu totally belongs on the US squad as the #2 DM, or potentially the starting DM if Williams isn't performing well.

neems, vponce75, wsmaugham and 2 others repped this.
  11. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Inclusions I like: Chandler, Gonzo, Castillo (can't believe I'm saying that, but he's been playing really well), Sacha

Inclusions I don't like: Evans, Torres

Exclusions I like: Beckerman, Gooch, Goodson, Orozco-Fiscal

Exclusions I don't like: Feilhaber, Lichaj, Beasley, Shea & Gatt (we could use these three's speed), Landon of course but that isn't the fault of Klinsmann I suppose.

Yep, that's just about it.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  12. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This, plus Brad Evans is 27.

13. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, it may be a strong roster, but I am afraid that it is not good enough to continue forward. In a way, JK is playing the guys he has, so can't totally fault him. But I think the lack of good, speedy wingers, a really competent forward, and a playmaker is going to kill us before this final round is over. Is this JK's fault? Maybe it is because he did not use all of the time he has had to dig deep and attempt to find these necessary players. To send back Benny, a good second half sub, in favor of Zusi who did not impress me against Canada, shows me he is lacking in judging players...and/or whoever he designates to select players is lacking this judgment.

I truly hope we get through, but without LD to shore up our team, I am really afraid for the first time in a long time. Please JK, prove me wrong.

14. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I think this is the first time Klinsmann has gotten the defense almost completely right, with maybe one exception which is more of a judgement call. I'm pretty happy with this overall except for our lack of speed on the wings.

15. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think Davis is better than the three you mention, especially on corner kicks from the left.

neems, TX Bill, FloridaFC2MLS and 2 others repped this.
  16. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright lineup although I don't like the redundancy of Evans and Parkhurst on defense. There is one spot wasted.
    In midfield same thing with Torres and Kljestan although they have similar game one plays it a bit higher than the other, it would have been more advantageous to get a faster winger like Gatt instead.
    I suppose JK's thinking is using either of them in the wing since he is not looking for attack but rather build up and defend which looks to be his game plan for this game...defend and steal one at the end.

17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Klinsmann loves his veteran players. No surprise that the younger ones like Gatt were left off the roster.

Danish Super Liga are still on break, and Goodson was actually looking for another club last I read.

Gooch is a cup player for Malaga and otherwise gets next to no minutes. His previous outings for the US weren't good.

Beasley looked past it in the Azteca match. I've watched him in LigaMx. The breakaway speed is gone.

With no Gatt, Donovan, or Shea this team has no one with breakaway speed on the roster. And no, EJ ain't on that level.

Gonzalez had the hype but it's nice to see Besler also get in as imo he is the better all around centerback. Looked more composed, less error prone, and the superior passer.

I don't think this is the end for Wondo. Torres' inclusion shows that continued strong play at club level can earn a player additional chances.

Aside from Dempsey nothing in the way of proven creativity at this level.

Hoping that EJ is not deployed as a forward. He's only a winger at this level.

Hoping that Fabian Johnson is not deployed as a left back. Not looking forward to yet another foul in a dangerous area. And he'll much more useful for the team in midfield.

18. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beasley has been and is frail. He's certainly likely to be cut down in CONCACAF as much as he is against other physical teams.

19. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
  20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shea's still recovering from injury, so was never likely to be in this squad.
    He's almost back, but still not in shape to make this kind of roster.

21. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Yeah, but I still had my hopes up after that Cameron tweet from yesterday.

22. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Fabian plays, he is at LB not midfield.

23. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'm late to the game, but where's Dolo?

24. aw072760

aw072760 Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Dallas, Tx
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering whether Castillo may be deployed on the left wing, as he does this for his club rather effectively, and he wont have all the defensive responsibility. But given his LB roots, he can track back very well if needed, I think it'd be a win-win to play him out there given what the rest of the roster looks like.

vponce75 and dwsmith1972 repped this.
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nah. He hasn't played a game since a couple weeks before the end of the 2012 MLS season.

He's just now returning to the fitness levels necessary to train.