Roster Discussion: Who's on the team?

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by CK, Dec 16, 2005.

1. CK

CK Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Southeast
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't been keeping up with the Earthquakes too much. Besides Ching, De Rosario, and Cerritos what playmakers do we now have???

Also, which players on the Quakes last season are not under contract this season?

2. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Who's on the team

Brad Davis, Ricardo Clark, Brian Mullan, Eddie Robinson,Wade Barrett..You guys are getting a good team.

3. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The press release that truthandlife posted shows Pat Onstad and Wade Barrett in attendance at tomorrow's announcement. Dom Kinnear is also expected to be there.

4. CK

CK Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Southeast
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, just looking back at a few rosters, this appears to be the favored line-up when everyone's healthy. Not quite sure of the formation so I'll ad-lib.

------------------Onsted------------------
    -------------------------------------------
    -Barrett------Califf------Robinson----Gray--
    --------Davis/Chung-------Clarke-----------
    -Mullan--------------------------DeRosario-
    ------------Ching--------------------------
    -------------------------Moreno/Cerritos---

Line-up looks strong.

5. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

this was up pretty quick. getting on the ball i see. so when does the team get a forum with MLS teams

6. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Califf signed with a team in Denmark, and Mark Chung may retire.. They play a 4-4-2..Mullan on the right Davis on the left and DeRo and Clark in the middle..Ching and Moreno would probably start up top together and Cochrane will most likely play center back with ERob, and Waibel or Gray playing on the right.

7. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's already up.

8. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Califf just got picked up by i team in Denmark(i think) so I'm not sure about the depth of the team so i don't know who will take his place?

9. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

sorry i meant a tag line.

10. CK

CK Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Southeast
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Let's draft next year's Michael Parkhurst.

11. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Earthquakes are an awesome team and we are lucky to be getting them.

Also, I wish they'd quit moving this forum all over the place.

12. CK

CK Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Southeast
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It also looks like we will have a full team throughout the world cup too unless Clarke makes a charge onto the Nat's roster or Ching shows he can play better than he did against Scotland.

13. c4smok

c4smok New Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are we good enough to beat FC Dallas?

14. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Califf is gone.

Cochrane (center), Aliosi (center/right), Waibel (center/right) and Goldwaithe (left) for defense depth

Davis should be on the left. DeRo in the center. Chung was on the left and if he does not retire will probably stay there.

Davis has some serious recovering to do before he can bump Chung out. Not much depth in the mids, of the others, Wondoloski (SP?) was the only one besides Russell who saw any time. (You don't want to see Russell out there, anyone remeber Ted Eck from the 'Burn'? :eek: )

Up front, a healthy Ching and Cerritos did very well early in the season, with Moreno coming on around the 65th min for Cerritos. Otherwise it was Moreno and Cerritos. Nash got some time but he seems to be more of an athlete than a footballer. He got a little better at the very end of the season, but the options in front are even fewer than in the midfield.

I hope these guys can figure out how to play on a big field "at home".

I hope they come up with a name soon, seeing 'Quakes around this forum is kind of sick...

15. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hay, instant rivalry. An MLS Dream.

As long as the goat look-alike Goodson spends all his time trying to kill Ching, you guys will have no trouble with FC Dallas.

16. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think it will be more interesting when they play the la galaxy..The players didn't change so i think there will be some sort of rivalry there.

17. CK

CK Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Southeast
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The rivalry with LA may stay for a season or two, but the darby with Dallas will soon be much stronger. Just like SJ and LA travled up/down the coast for their rivalry, the devoted Houston and Dallas fans will be traveling up and down the interestate for these matches.

From my experience the fans create the rivalries. The players simply respond to the fan's call for a win.

18. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey Houston.

I'm dropping in to beg of you to please take care of our boys. Please acknowledge their heritage. You may have the team in your physical presence but the essence of this team is San Jose. You can't deny their roots. These guys will play their hearts out for you. Appreciate them and support them with all of your heart. And please forgive me for not being excited for you as fans, I just want you to take care of my team like they have taken care of me for so long.

Over time, I'm sure the team will become uniquely Houston, but I can't see that happening until several years on down the rode when most of the SJ players have gone. I don't say this to be derogatory, it's just the way I feel about it.

So good luck boys! Keep giving that 110% on and off the field. You are forever in my heart. :(

19. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004

If San Jose gets an expansion team in two years, which is very likely, there's another instant rivalry for Houston.. At least on the San Jose end of it.. ;)

20. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose

Here are the 28 (actually 30 since Waibel and Dayak were on the season-ending injury list) guys who were on the roster at the end of 2005, with comments on their status as best I know it:

Senior Roster:
    Brian Ching (F)
    Alejandro Moreno (F)
    Ronald Cerritos (F)
    Dwayne DeRosario (M/F) -- trying to sign in Europe, but hasn't signed yet, seems like he'll be back if he doesn't sign soon
    Brad Davis (M)
    Mark Chung (M) -- will retire
    Brian Mullan (M)
    Ricardo Clark (M) -- trying to sign in Spain, but suffered minor injury that's keeping him from playing, so seems like he should be back
    Danny O'Rourke (M)
    Ian Russell (M)
    Kelly Gray (D)
    Chris Aloisi (D)
    Danny Califf (D) -- signed with Danish team, won't be back
    Eddie Robinson (D)
    Wade Barrett (D)
    Kevin Goldthwaite (D)
    Pat Onstad (GK)
    Jon Conway (GK) -- traded to Metros for Superdraft 4th round pick
    Craig Waibel -- torn ACL early in the year, out for the rest of the year, should be back
    Troy Dayak -- injured knee early in the year, out for rest of the year and has retired

Developmental Roster:
    Tighe Dombrowski (Sr Dev) -- (M)
    Chris Wondolowski (Sr Dev) -- (M)
    Ryan Cochrane (Gen Adidas player) -- (D)
    Julian Nash (F)
    Orlando Ramirez (F/M) -- waived last month
    Robbie Fulton (GK)
    Bret Rodriguez (D)
    Aaron Lanes (M)
    James Twellman (M/D) -- torn ACL in middle of year, out for rest of season
    Roger Levesque (F) -- waived last month

Based solely on playing time this past year, with the loss of Chung, Califf, and Conway, here is what I'd project as the starting lineup and the first guys off the bench:

Starters:
    Onstad (K)
    Waibel -- Cochrane -- Robinson -- Barrett
    Mullan -- Clark -- DeRosario -- Davis
    Ching -- Cerritos

First guys off the bench:
    Fulton (K)
    Gray, Goldthwaite (D)
    O'Rourke, Wondolowski, Russell (M)
    Moreno, Nash (F)

Gray was a starter at RB for most of the year, but Craig Waibel was the starter before he got hurt. Gray might fight for a central defender position, or for the RB position. O'Rourke is a very strong central defensive midfielder, but he got limited playing time because Clark had such a good year. If Clark signs in Europe, O'Rourke would be the starting central defensive mid. With Chung retiring, and Russell getting on in years, the outside midfield is a little thin. Most of us San Jose fans did not think much of Russell. Wondolowski didn't play more than a few minutes last year (his rookie year), but in the Reserve Division he led the Earthquakes in scoring (actually came in second in the entire Reserve division in scoring with 8 goals, 3 assists). He should fight for some time at wing or even at attacking midfielder (backing up DeRosario). At forward, the team lacks speed. Ching is a strong target forward, Moreno plays a physical target forward style but lacks height and speed. Cerritos is more of a passer than a scorer, which is why a lot of the Quakes goals this past year came from the midfield, not the forwards. Goldthwaite was a rookie who saw some playing time at LB late in the year, when Barrett was with the USMNT, could fight for more playing time this year. Dombrowski is now going into his 3rd year, he might not make the team (he plays central defensive mid, but is stuck behind Clark and O'Rourke, and didn't get any playing time last year). Nash is a strong target forward who also has some speed. Got some playing time last year as a rookie with all of the injuries to the Quakes forwards. Needs to develop a better first touch and passing skills, but his athletic skills and speed give him a shot to get some playing time.

Biggest team needs would be forwards (particularly speed), outside midfielders, and central defenders. Goldthwaite, Barrett and Davis are all very strong left footed players who would have a hard time playing anywhere but the left side, which limits the flexibility of the team.

Other biggest question is whether Dominic Kinnear will move to Houston and stay with the team. He has deep roots in the San Jose area; you guys will be lucky if you get him, he showed his strengths this year in building a strong team out of a lot of guys who were not superstars. If he doesn't go with the team, that would have a ripple effect on the players as he is well respected by the team.

Hope that you all welcome the Quakes/????'s and show them support, they deserve it.

21. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks very much for all the information above. I think we all hope that you have a quick return with a great stadium.

Just as FYI, Kinnear was at the formal announcement yesterday and will apparently be with the team next year.

22. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose

Thanks for the kind words; I doubt anything will happen anytime soon in the San Jose area. The politicians are all doing a bit of CYA so they don't get blamed for the move, but there's nothing real going on. The "letter of intent" is so full of holes that it's ridiculous. But, that's another story (and another thread, back on the San Jose boards). I hope you guys all enjoy your new team, and show them lots of support.

On Dom, I heard that he was very likely to go, but it's not a done deal yet. He agreed to do the initial announcements, but there are still discussions going on about the future.

The team has been told that they should be ready to move and be in Houston by late January, to be ready for preseason training (which will occur in Houston). Typically they take some kind of trip during the preseason (last year they went back to Florida for a while, and then to South Carolina for the Carolina Cup. It's not clear yet where they will be travelling to during preseason this coming year.

Another note on players - historically, the team has not focused much on International players, they've built the team from players with MLS and/or North America experience. It seems to be some of Dom Kinnear's (and Frank Yallop, his predecessro) style, but it also may be due to budget constraints. It will be interesting to see if that approach changes with the move.

23. CK

CK Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Southeast
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for all the info. I too hope you guys get a team via Oakland A's owner or elsewhere ASAP. While I am excited about getting a more local team, I would not have wished to take a team away from San Jose and the rest of the Bay Area.

I'm already getting a following of Houston's team for next season. While season tickets may be difficult for us, I already have 10 people lined-up to go for the home opener, and I haven't even talked with everyone yet. Depending on how many games we decide to attend, which should be quite a few, we might go ahead and buy season tickets if its cost effective. Just waiting to see the price of season tickets and individual tickets for certain areas of the stadium.

24. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sportsfan-quakes covered the roster pretty well already so I won't repeat it too much, but some other considerations are that you guys have a fair amount of flexibility on making changes. The 2005 Quakes were well under the cap and had one of the least expensive rosters due to the lack of a maximum-salary player. You also have openings for Senior International and Transitional Internationals. You're missing a few of your Superdraft picks, but Dom & John have proven to be pretty savvy making trades so I don't think you'll enter the season with any particular holes.

Another point worth mentioning is the team's style of play which is one of the most attractive to watch in all of MLS. They play a pretty fast game with a strong emphasis on one-touch passing and combination play, and because of that their ball-control is very good. You could compare them to the US Men's National Team in many ways (style-wise I mean). They are pretty physical defenders, but they don't play dirty.

On the wings, generally their crossing is sub-par, but Brad Davis on the left is quality and, if healthy and in form like early 2005, it's magic. If he hadn't gotten injured last year he most likely would be in the mix for the World Cup squad the way he was racking up assists. On the right Brian Mullan is quick and a terror to defend, but he has a hard time converting his chances once he's free of his man. Ian Russell is a big step down from these two.

Up top Brian Ching is a top-notch MLS striker (his stats compare favorably with anyone else in the league) whose record with the Nats has been mixed, but he has the tools and he works extremely hard.

Speaking of hard-workers, Rico and Dwayne in the center of the field have engines that don't quit. Dwayne is unpredictable, and Clark has a pretty good canon for taking shots from distance.

In the center of defense Eddie Robinson is a stud, but he's a little wild in his tackling so you'll need a good partner for him to keep him from having to do everything and thus getting into foul trouble with late tackles.

Finally, in goal, people like to rip on Pat Onstad for some reason I could never figure out, but he's easily one of the top MLS keepers, so you've got quality up and down the middle of the field.

I am sure you will have a very competitive team and be well above .500 next year. I also bet you'll have strong attendance in your first year making for a great season.

Enjoy it while it lasts, and organize as fans to support the team. Whatever you can do to attract more casual/novice fans to games and to help build the political will to construct a stadium will be big if you want the team to reside in Houston permanently.

I don't think MLS will be back in the Bay Area for many years quite truthfully.

25. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Anyone worried that DeRo and Onstad might bolt from Houston when the Toronto team starts up in 2007?
    Seems like a strong possibility especially for DeRo.