Ronnie O'Brien on the Move?

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by 3rd Degree, Nov 14, 2006.

1. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I see it being more likely for them to take someone like vanney over hislop...if for no other reason than its a shorter contract...but i definately agree, if ronnie is traded, it better be with a bloated, unwanted contract player attached to it

2. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

he's more concerned with his golf handicap than he is with getting his head on straight regarding soccer.....

3. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't quite understand your two deep scenarios, are we talking expected here, or what you'd like to see?

Personally I believe Goodson is a good CB that's had some bad luck. In the small amount of time he saw there, Yi seemed to do well on the outside as well. And Hislop in goal? He and Vanney are over-the-hill overpaid players that need to get the boot.

4. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone wants to get rid of Vanney, Shaka, and Simo. I would be fine with seeing Shaka leave; he does not have the talent to play at this level. Vanney and Simo, not so much.

I am going on the assumption here that Buzz is correct. His record speaks for himself, he likes Tony Stewart, and he beat me on a bet about wheather Lee Morrison or Carl Bussey would make the team in 2003. Of course, the result of that bet is tainted, as it was Mike Jeffries who made that decision. Assume the trade is on the table as he described it, and his roster dance is correct.

Simo may be tradable, as he is out of contract. Might Toronto take him? Perhpas, but on the roster dance, he is protected. Another team might want him, and offer something in return, but the coach would have to agree with the trade. Simo is still a servicible player with loads of expereince, and good in the locker room. The coach may want to keep him for those reasons. Also, note how he helped the team warm up during Morrow's first practice. He may be looking for a role as coach now, with one more season as a player. In this case, he will not demand a big contract.

Now, for the big money guys. Buzz was clear on why these guys would not be protected. So, just leave them out there, and Toronto will take one, and we can trade the other! See how easy!

Stand up, back away from your computer, move slowly to the window, open it, and breath in some cold reality.

Vanney and Shaka are not going anywhere, not matter how much we want them gone, or even if the coach does. The guranteed contracts and the big salaries make them nearly impossible to move. While I am sure that there are teams who would like them, would any be willing to honor those contracts? FCD would have to eat those contracts; it would be a case of trading something and getting less than nothing. With a FO concerned about profits, where everything else is secondary, there is little chance of this happening.

To the trade. ROB, a just little better than average player for the last two years, for an MPA and a "hands off" the rest of the FCD players. I have coveted Amando Guevara for a while now. Sure, we have learned above that he does not really mind playing for RedStar New York now. He likes Arena. None of this means he would mind playing in Dallas, though he should be sounded out about this, probably by El Generalito. I am positive he could be convincing. RedStar remains in their perpetual disarray, and Arena will be expected to win quickly. An MPA, to pick up a player Arena likes better, could be tempting. Add that to the DP, and RedStar has plenty of flexibility.

As I posted above, just because many people do not want to see Simo, Shaka, and Vanney here next year, does not mean they will not be. Similarly, just because I want El Lobo does not that trade can be made, even if FCD has the means to make it happen.

Say that FCD does not find a player they like enough to use an MPA on. They can just sit on it. Or, they could use part or all ofit to draw down on Shaka's salary, and keep Dario in Hoops. As much as I like El Lobo, I would feel much more comfortable with a Nunez Sargosa Mulrooney Alverez middle with Dario in the nets than an Nunez Mulrooney Guevara Alverez middle with Shaka on the line.

If I, and many others, are wrong about Hislop, he will have the chance to prove us wrong in the first six games. If he can beat out Ray Burse and Jeff Cassar, that is.

More inteeresting than the MPA to me is the pass on all players in the expansion draft. This suggests that one of the men interviewed for the top job here, or perhaps all on the short list, are pretty much happy with the team, and willing to give up a former top player to keep the rest together. This is probably a good thing. FCD is a deep, talented team. Far better to keep what they have and make minor adjustemnts than to break it up.

If we see Toronto passing of FCD players, this might just mean the trade has been made on a handshake agreement. This trade will work out nicely for FCD.

Dead but dreaming,
    Scipio Diabolus,
    vox fatum.

Contra.

Northside, where is my beer and my DVD?

5. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I talked to Ronnie. He just wants to play in NE. I can't blame the guy, he's Irish, he wants to play near Boston. I don't think NE gave Dallas a good enough deal for Ronnie, which is why you guys kept hearing that he wanted out.

6. sweeper33

sweeper33 Member

Jul 24, 2000
    How about we get him a guest spot on The Wandering Golfer in the off season for his golfJones if he stays, and performs, in Dallas?

And this it totally OT so I apologize - The new host of The Wandering Golfer will be announced online tomorrow (Wed 15th) at
    http://www.fineliving.com/golf Check it out.

OK, no more golf talk, back to soccer!!!!!!!!!!

7. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Maybe because the last midfielder who was "overrated" went on to mysteriously improve his game as soon as he got the hell away from Clarke? I'm with you - I expect ROB to make a run for league MVP in his first year with his new club.

Once again, thank you very much Clarke, you pile of sh!t. You saddled us with trash on your way out and made sure to poison our best players against the organization while you were here. Clarke has to be one the worst managers in the history of the league.