Ronnie O'Brien on the Move?

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by 3rd Degree, Nov 14, 2006.

1. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.3rddegree.net
    Ronnie O'Brien on the Move?

2. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever it is, there's something not keeping him happy. If he wants out a trade is the best way to do it, rather than keeping him unprotected for the expansion draft. Trade him for an allocation and have Toronto take Simo and Vanney off our hands as well. Let them become the 07 version of the Salt Lake.

3. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Another off-season, another ROB on the move story. Every year, since 2003, it has been the same old story. I will believe it when it happens.

4. The Liquidator

May 22, 2006
    Tigres UANL---Dynamo
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    spot on, that would be the best possible offseason move for these players and for FCD to clean house, new coach, new era, no veteran favoritism

5. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Trade Shaka and Ronnie to Toronto. Betcha Toronto will turn right around and trade Ronnie in some sort of package for some of Houston's Canadian players.

6. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I'd hate to see Ronnie get traded. Find a manager who'll fix the situation because he's a big reason why I enjoy watching FCD.

7. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The ROB to Toronto rumour has been floating around here for the past two weeks or so.

8. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    Think Houston will unload Onstad or DeRo now?

9. Old-and-Slow

Old-and-Slow New Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Carrollton, TX
    Damn. I also hate to see him go.

I found the real estate listing, he does have his house up for sale.

10. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think Onstad would be a definite possibility.

Unloading DeRo, though, would be a positively stupid move by Houston -- unless they were pretty sure that DeRo is likely to head for Europe soon.

11. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
  12. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Don't forget about Serioux.

13. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good Riddance. Let him be a cancer at another club.

14. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    If we get ROB in Houston, he will come back to haunt Dallas.

If we lose D-Ro, could ROB play the Offensive Center Mid for us? He can certainly cover as much of the field as D-Ro.

You guys would be crazy to get rid of him.

ROB, Sala, Mulrooney, Ruiz, Nunez, Cooper, and Moore should be the core of FCD next year IMO.

15. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Moore or Moor? Moore didn't play much this year.

16. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Ronnie really isn't very good in a center midfield role. He'll always be better out wide.

17. The Liquidator

May 22, 2006
    Tigres UANL---Dynamo
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    ROB to NYRB for Amando Guevara. Guevara wants to come to Dallas anyway

18. soccercptn

soccercptn New Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Plano
    I am fine with trading ROB. He is overvalued in MLS. He is a solid winger, but he makes poor decisions on the ball as far as when to make the cross and when to settle for the short, easy pass. He also fades in and out of games (but then, all true wingers do). I think we can get more for him than the value add he brings over starting Nunez every game at right mid.

Priorities in the offseason:

- Move one of our keepers.
    - Move Simo.
    - Move Goodson.

- Pick up another good central midfielder.
    - Pick up a starting left winger.
    - Pick up a starting right back.

- Draft a center back.
    - Draft a right mid.

Two deep:
    F: Ruiz/Abe/Smith
    F: Cooper/Mina
    LM: New/AA
    RM: Nunez/Draft
    CM: New/McCarthy
    CM: Mulrooney/Pitch
    LD: Gbandi/Wagner
    RD: New/Moore
    CD: Vanney/Yi
    CD: Moor/Draft
    GK: Shaka/Burse

I don't think we should drop Vanney, because I think Yi is going to have the chance to shine under a new coach.

19. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do I get the feeling that if Ronnie O goes to another team that he will have a monster year - 10 + goals and 10 + assists.

He still has that kind of talent in this league - but for whatever reason hasn't played that way the last 2 years - although he is still one of our best players and one of the best in the elague.

I don't want to see him go - but if he wants a change of scenery or wants out - better to let him go and get value than try and rehab his attitude. I hope this move is put off until a new coach is named and we see what it looks like then.

20. idrinkgoodcoffee

idrinkgoodcoffee New Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Big D
    if he wants to go, sell him abroad and get cash now that we can participate in transfer fees. surely he's worth more on the transfer market than just an allocation, right? and what's an allocation worth these days with teams going after their designated player's on their own?

21. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

not since Arena came in. Guevara wants to stay to play for "Professor Arena" as he calls him.

22. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have since confirmed that the trade to TFC did not happen yesterday.
    But it was a very serious deal, and we may still yet see it happen.

23. Zé Bill

Zé Bill Member

Mar 21, 2004
    with CC out of the picture --- then do we assume that ROB doesn't see anything good shaping up under Micahel Hitchcock? (Hislop roster constipation?)

or ROB doesn't didn't like Texas as much as he let on?

Ronnie's odyssey around various Euro clubs I thought had come to an end with his UNITED STATES of AMERICA green card and his love of golf

(which ain't so easily played in Ontario CANADA in winter)(yellow ball and snowmobile boots, I suppose)

how 'bout FCD keeping the good players and getting rid of the dull and ineffective ones? and not acquiring elderly ones?

[in the feckless event of ROB being traded] he will rip us to shreds on ANY visiting team he's on. his passing is too angular and unpredictable for him to play central mf, but he's a genius when he's on.

and I don't care if you are Sir Stanley! go do your naked handstand!

I will repeat: MY FAVORITE COTTON BOWL MEMORY EVER:

chosen from amont 1 match 1999 (season opener), 1 match 2000 (play-off knocked out by Metros), 2002 all season, [also non-CB eason of 2003] 2004 all season, 2005 1/2 season.

Ronnie faked out2 defenders with stop-start, foot change, hip dip etc and this delighted, jolly hispanic guy sitting behind me said, in English "He ... know ... how ... ... [long pause] ... ... to do!"

and if Jefferies had BOTHERED to mention to Kries and Johnson that ROB's crosses come over REALLY REALLY FAST so as a RESULT you just might CONSIDER running in from an especially wide angle, then we would've beaten Colorado in '02.

24. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    soccercptn

"GK: Shaka/Burse"

ah...what?

25. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Would hate to see the guy go, but if there was a way to minimize cap impact by packaging him off with Hislop's albatross of a contract AND a guarantee of a pass on any remaining FCD guys I'd be open to discussions. Toronto might be happy with a guy like Shaka. They might also be happy with a guy like Vanney. New team with plenty of cap space could be a win win situation. They are looking for competent pro's, but probably realize they are not winning MLS cup next year. Maybe they could take our fat contracts off of our hands.

Sure would miss ROB, but this way he could still help us out for next season.