Ronaldo vs Messi

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by shayanmufc, Nov 1, 2012.

?

after seeing the description...do you think messi deserves to be the world player of the year?

Poll closed Nov 5, 2012.
  1. yes

50.0%
  2. no

50.0%
  1. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    How many of those would be in second division or third division in Brazil?

Neymar wants to be the best in the world, and to be voted the best in the world he is forced to play in Europe. He's not going because he wants to play for Euro clubs or money related, it's just the reality of that award. Most players that left Brazil before him do it for money reasons or safety.

Now, his decision of going to Europe after the World Cup probably depends on his performance at the World Cup. I'm pretty sure if he has a great confed cup, then the following year a great world cup and Brazil wins both at home he might be a real candidate for Best of the World in 2014. And if he wins it while playing for Santos it's a possibility he doesn't leave Santos.

Right now,
    he gets paid like he would in Europe
    Is a world known superstar and marketable in the whole world
    plays for his childhood team
    Is considered the best player in Brazil

His failures
    Doesn't have a World Cup
    Doesn't have a Club World Cup
    Doesn't have best player in the world, which up until 2007 was an Euro only award. He's been playing for 3 years and has been shortlisted for the award twice, while playing in South America.

2. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    I don't know why people have something against him...

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's not the point !!! How does that matter ? The only question you have to ask yourself is this. Would the level of the Brasileirao have been a better league for the last 20 years had the likes of Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Roberto Carlos, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Robinho and etc ... not left for Europe ? You cannot truly believe they were ever replaced with players of the same level (and stayed in Brazil). What players of that caliber actually stayed in Brazil during that time ?

He can win the best player of the world in Brazil. All he has to do is play well and win the World Cup. They will give him the award if he does so whether it's fair or not. If that's the only reason why he is leaving then he shouldn't leave. But I believe he can grow as a player by going to Europe as all of our top players over the last 20 years have also stated. I have gotten into that discussion before with someone else and I won't again. If you don't believe so, that's fine.

4. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Yeah that willbe a BIG risk ... as if he would either be 100mils man or 20mils man after WC. Santos better sell him now with 50-60mils as good price

For Neymar, he is already too rich for his age, so money is no issue BUT FAME.

He gotta move his a$$ to europe sooner than later before WC (recommended) for he will get chance to play against the "higher caliber defenders" who he will propably meet again at WC.

Nothing WRONG forhim staying at Santos moneywise,but he will NOT GET anywhere better in skills. Rule of thumb: NO CHALLENGE NO IMPROVEMENT

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    And not only that, but the leagues that acquire all these good players are getting stronger at the same time the Brazilian league gets weaker. This whole "we lose good players but don't lose any quality" argument that Guigs is obsessed with is silly to say the least.

Anyway, have fun with him (he's in my ignore box so I can't really help you. Not that you need it. ;) )

6. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Different times for different topics.. That's what this whole conversation is about, times are changing and people still mention players from 10 years ago.

Well this doesn't matter anymore Felipao signed with Brazil... so they won't win anything..

There's another topic of top 10 teams in the world.. I think Brazil just dropped out of the top 50... CBF is a place for clowns.

7. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    European defenses are in the same level. He's been challenged in International play and keeps on scoring. S.A. defenses are tougher than people believe, once again.. if you can't stand on your feet you can't score... and most S.A. defenses would get at least 1 red card per game in Europe, but S.A. refereeing is not one to call fouls.

What's on a different level is the midfield play and tactics, players in Europe are a lot more tactically correct and take less risks than S.A. midfielders, so their transition game doesn't break down as easily because of a rushed counter attack. In south America most transitions become rush counter attacks where in Europe players tend to value the ball possession more than rushing to the other side to try and score with the possibility of quickly losing possession if it doesn't work.

Possession game is something relatively new, even in Europe. S.A still plays more fluid Football that's why you get more individual skills from players coming up from S.A. than in Europe.

Brazil has horrible refereeing as the refs are not professional and try to show off by always doing the controversial calls... Every week there's at least 1 really obvious mistake where the ref just does something to get a reaction from the crowd, not even kidding!! the rest of South America.. you can take somebody's leg out in Libertadores or Sudamericana, beat them up with it and you might get a yellow.

Didn't you guys see Copa America? how the defenses dominated?

8. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    I also believe there were fights at the end of the last 3 libertadores finals. Common thing.

9. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Worst thing was that Guardiola contacted CBF about the job... I'm a big believer that the National Teams should be completely National, but when a job is that hot.. you don't give it to the coach that sunk his team into the second division.

10. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    HUH? you better pray Scolari did outstanding in tactics to help Brazil to WC fina ...
    with Neymar and the team as is will NEVER WIN teh WC without a brilliant coach - and guess what, Felipao is one of them ...

Look not many Brazil coaches could have won WC + Libertadore + Brazil champs (with 3 clubs) PLUS final in Euro for Portugal ... GOSH

11. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Is not an Olympic champion

:cool::cool:

12. ryanpack52

ryanpack52 New Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Australia
    Club:
    Burnley FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  13. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    10 years is a long time man.. 10 years

14. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    tell me 1 Brazilian that is

15. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Lol common guys... Neymar isn't close to Ronaldo and Messi right now

I vote Ronaldo because he's proved himself in different leagues.

16. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    He is a coach, not player who depends heavily on fitness of youth...
    unless you meant the tactics formation has changed tremendously since last 10years ? LOL

Just an info, Pep copied Ajax total footbal from 70's (50years ago) to make success at Barca

17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C'mon James, I know I am getting older, but the 70s were only 40 years ago! Don't make me too old before it is time!

18. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    can;t believe I overcounted by 10 :p

19. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    I actually meant more about his attitude compared to the players from nowadays. Players respond to different things some things were accepted before and are not accepted now. Pepe might have taken a formation from the 70s, but if he acted like a coach from the 70s he would have a hard time connecting to the players of today. Felipao has that issue. No player wants to work with him, that's why he was taken out even after winning a World Cup.
    C.A Parreira on the other hand is the opposite and he'll be the part of the coaching staff, maybe it will balance it out.

20. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Well I kinda agree that Felipao is a "hard man" and very disciplined * so some players might not like it!
    But situation is different now than 10years ago... when the team were packed with great names worldclass players ... Romario Ronaldo Roandlinho Rivaldo Cafu Carlos Lucio ...

now the team are with many youngers and (not yet) so big in names and that will make felipao easier to control them! We'll see how he will do soon !

21. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Romario was kept out of the selecao during 1998 during his prime due to off field issues and injuries and same on 2002. Once by Zagalo and once by Felipao. And that Felipao team had a lot of young players in their first WC, or as starters in their first WC. Look back at his team it was a bunch of youngsters! 3 players bordering 30s, then everyone else under 26, with most being around 22-25. The players for this year are bordering the same age group, with Kaka, Dani Alves, Thiago silva, then everyone else dropping drastically from there to an age group between 21-24...

So you could be right, it might work because of their age, since it worked on a group which had pretty much the same age before in 2002.

22. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    yeah .... not only the age but the "ego" and "big names" as well ... look at the Brazil team now, who can afford to behave (like Romario, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Carlos Cafu Ronnie ... ) to felipao? no one ...

23. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it hard to believe people are still willing to make this comparison. Plus, midget, hobbit-looking Messi is somehow more hyped and marketable than moviestar looks Ronaldo? I've now heard everything.

It's like Messi himself set out to put this silly rivalry to rest once and for all this season. He already has 21 goals and 5 assists this season, compared to Ronaldo's 13 goals and 2 assists. As others have said, the argument that Messi is surrounded by great talent doesn't really hold water anymore (if it ever did), since its not like C. Ronaldo is playing with chopped liver--Real Madrid is much better than a couple seasons ago. But seriously: all you have to do is actually watch them play. Messi's vision and decision-making is lightyears ahead of Ronaldo. I can't think of many players his age that have the vision and composure he does.

24. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Ronaldo, Rivaldo, R. Carlos and Cafu always behaved good, Romario didn't and was kept out, and Ronaldinho was an up and comer in 2002. Had just been transfered 1 year ago to Europe and didn't even have a name.

25. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    People like the good guys, Michael Jordan never had a political view, because on his own words. "Republicans buy shoes too"
    Can't really come close to comparing the quality Barca had the previous 3 years with Real Madrid. But Messi's failure in his National Team is what makes people question his surrounding entourage.

Messi is a world class striker, Ronaldo is a world class striker. Messi's decision making is questionable.. because once again he only has those amazing decision making abilities when playing La Liga and Group stage champions league.

The only reason this conversation still exists is because Messi can't seem to do anything with his National team. You can't be an all time best or even close to that if you can't win with Argentina... that has done a lot of winning on their history.

What's the difference between Dan Marino and Joe Montana... championships... that's why Joe is considered the best and Dan is not.