Rodger that, over and out - OTT [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by pgr17, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's true. Right now they don't have a leader. Neither Schweinsteiger or Lahm really are, not to me at least. They're just the seniority who play for Bayern. The question is, do teams need leaders any more or can the collective step up?

Spain and Barcelona certainly have alpha types. Neuer is often expected to become future captain. Khedira for me is the best leader at the moment but he needs to back it up with his play, which means finishing the dozens of chances he gets at the end of. Then there's Lars Bender and Reus who could potential become leaders too but right now, totally lack of an on-field leader. Its' a deceptive argument and one older German football critics used to explain the Italy loss - where are days of "hard" players, etc. But for me that's not the argument we should be having. It's an issue but not "the" issue.

2. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Eh, I believe he was referring to the Bender brothers, Lars Bender and Lars Ulrich.

3. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    It's an honour to watch Iniesta, our Lord and Saviour, play football.

4. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's a church I'd commit to.

Not the bullshit catholic church everyone else seems to love amiright ??1'?/

5. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    SirManchester
    those are two distinct and unrelated arguments slapped together though - leaders need not to be hard players at all, e.g. pirlo.

there's always a need for a player that can accept the responsibility of ensuring that the team maintains its shape and stays true to its identity when the game is dificult, and solutions are not readily apparent.

it should be özil for germany but he seems to shy away from that responsibility. france was expecting titi to fill the void left by zidane but it never materialized even though his scoring tally was pretty decent, he could never inspire the collective.

6. urbnzy

urbnzy Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Slovenia
    Everyone were sleeping because he actually cost 40 mil Euros and only Bayern were willing to pay that.

pgr17 and cr7torossi repped this.
  7. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    Pray to the Gods of Tika Taka

8. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    yeah, kinda miffed that he got pushed out left. victim of his versatility even though he's the best cm in the world.

9. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    He's not actually playing on the left.

10. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Agreed. Unfortunately a lot of traditionalists seem to think otherwise.

not Oezil. He's a shy personality. Leaders speak out more often than not and are proactive figures.

Another theory is the happy lives and sound economic conditions in Germany results in a generation that is generally content and doesn't need to be combative.

There's truth to it but having said that, I think with time and experience leaders will emerge.

11. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He took a pay cut compensated the 10 m with his wages, I was asking for him before he got popular or known.

12. urbnzy

urbnzy Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Slovenia
    I think 2 new quality CM's would be more than enough with players like Cleverley, Anderson and perhaps some youngsters (Daehli, Januzaj) providing depth.

13. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Good.

I hope nobody here is religious or feel offended by this.

14. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    I hope for the opposite.

15. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    do tell

16. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    Just watch where he is on the pitch.

El Shahaircut failed hard

17. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nope sorry when Carrick is past his prime ( 2 seasons at max) we will need 3 as only Cleverley will be in rotation for 3 midfield spots, Anderson will be gone, can't say anything about young ones, currently we don't give them chances so can't see any ready in two seasons

18. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Milan have some ingredients of a quality team but need a lot of investments

19. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    at work, not watching the game. soccernet has his avg position on the left tucking in. that's also where i saw him in the barça games i watched this year with cesc and xavi in the middle.

20. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    He's basically slightly left of centre, but going wherever he wants.

21. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Montolivo has been very good

Bronaldo repped this.
  22. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Barca looking VERY pedestrian out there. Everyone looking off the pace except Andres.

23. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Missing the drug :D

24. urbnzy

urbnzy Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Slovenia
    It depends what how many years do you think represent medium term? I'm talking about 3-5 years when Carrick won't be a starter anymore. By that time I can still see United playing 4-4-2 or some kind of 4-2-3-1 with only 2 midfielders. And who says Anderson will be gone because if you play him as a squadie, he has a lot of uses. So 2 quality CM's with Cleverley and Anderson (+Jones?) behind is an OK(ish) depth. Nothing out of this world, but it would do the job.

25. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Who are these off-brand negroes on display for Milan?

EDIT:

That's terrible but it seems like the black guys are just kicking the ball away./lynne