Rodger that, over and out - OTT [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by pgr17, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    For the English may be.

2. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Damn, you guys are harsh lol/.

3. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    I will concede you Juve but RM was in their joke phase then. Overall the run was against weak teams though, much like our 2011 run.

4. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    isnt it far too early to be making judgements about this german generations mental ability?

the last tournament didnt help in that department.

Cevno, barroldinho and Karloski repped this.
  5. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's true to some degree although my theory is that the players can't achieve something if they are not given the platform to. They look distrustful in Löw's system. We know they had the ability to beat Italy last summer. They weren't a weaker team but the way Löw lined them up, without practicing the formation or embedding any tactical flexibility within the team, when pressured they looked uncertain. I think a player's strength is derived from the system and the ideology that informs it and consequently them. Right now Germany are held back by the manager so it's a tough call whether these guys are up to the task mentally because we are seeing a lot of them compete very well for their clubs.

6. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Let's not let British media fappery completely negate Wilshire's value. You're talking about a 21 year old who's had injury problems versus Kroos who is two years older with twice the number of professional appearances and a 24 year old who is rapidly becoming one of the standouts of his generation and has spent the last four years playing at the top level for club and country.

Wilshire remains a very gifted player with a significant upside. The truth is, none of you know can possibly know his career and development trajectory at this point.

England getting collective wrist strain over a performance against Brazil and proclaiming him the "new Gazza", doesn't automatically turn him into Gareth Barry.

googoo and Cevno repped this.
  7. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    beyond tactics, isn't there also something to say about a collective rallying behind the leadership and charisma of a talisman? when italy seemed unsettled, they turned to pirlo to provide them with a sense purpose in how they play. who's that guy for germany?

8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Barca won't even go after him. The problem with Wilshere is that he needs to develop in the next year or two, to be worth what he would cost and he probably wont kick on at Arsenal.
    If anything, we should be looking to poach more of Barca's kids. There must be someone coming through now who is staring at Iniesta, Fabregas and Thiago thinking 'there's just no way' and that's who we need to snap up at 18 or 19.
    But as we've been saying, our CM problems right now may be finding a partner for Carrick but in the medium term future we've got to consider replacing/upgrading him and adding another 2 quality players to that area as we'll be done with Scholes, Giggs and Carrick will be on his last legs.

If we don't make a move in the next couple windows, we'll be looking at needing 3 United quality central midfielders just to stay afloat. ********ing hell.

SyedZada repped this.
  9. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He is being lauded as a world class player and not now since his debut season which was good but nothing great, he missed another season and now he is having another okay season nothing to write about.

I am not sure where his trajectory will go, will he develop a shot, a goal threat, long range passing and I am not hopeful he will at Arsenal, lets see, currently Kroos is way ahead and that is the way I will gauge it until Wilshere surpass him, both are young for talented midfielders.

10. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Pretty much this, it can seriously go wrong, finding one good midfielder that suits us is hard enough, imagine 3.
    The negligence has been criminal.

11. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    let's get a new title started. who wants the honors?

12. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nah all cool kids Underrate non united British players and rate German/Spanish ones. :p

13. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I agree that Tom isn't top quality. But that's right now. My gut tells me that he's going to be a very good player, but very good isn't really enough to carry the midfield on his own and that's what he'll be doing if we don't get him help.

Part of it may be just the type of player that he is right now. He shouldn't have to shoulder the midfield before he/we know what he really is as a player as that may still change.

The list of players we've missed out on in the last couple years is growing but the three that would have set us up for the better pat of a decade are glaring:

Hazard, Martinez, Vidal

14. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Jumping in: pretty much what sir Man said.

Our lineup will start looking like this;

Neuer
    Lahm hummels boetang(bads) schmelzer
    Khedira kroos piggy
    Muller Ozil reus

We have benders who can sub in anywhere, Gundogan who will be our future starter in the middle, gotze schurrle who can rotate between any of the attack..

I think they'll keep Gomez as back up. Plan B.

15. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    didier could eff around and win two straight CLs. don't laugh lol

16. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    After Robbie Rogers brave announcement this week, this is just bad form! :eek: :p

Dhajj and Karloski repped this.
  17. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This would be the British media fappery of which I spake.

18. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  19. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Add Lucas to that, okay hazard was expensive greedy and a modern footballer but were we sleeping when bayern was in for martinez, what he cost 30 m euros, and missing out on Vidal was criminal.

It is so stupid what we have been doing with our midfield and if we don't act now a lot of happy clappers will be in for the shock of their life.

Alternative midfield of what we missed on or who we allowed to leave
    ----Carrick---Martinez (Vidal)---
    ----------pogba(Cleverley)

Edit:
    Yeah I am very hopeful about cleverly being very good.

20. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Which stunts development people get too complacent think they achieved all.

21. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Sigh. Pogba over Cleverley.

22. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    As an am yes, I would have Cleverley deeper

23. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Is that what they call them in England?

Benders??

That's funny

Bronaldo repped this.
  24. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If we had 2 deeper mids of the quality listed in that suggested line up, it would be horses for courses. Against teams who bunker, Cleverley would get the nod. If teams are expected to play open we cry havoc and let slip the Pogs of war.

Yes. That's the main reason I'm upset he's gone. I don't get to say that on a regular basis.