Rocky Mountain Cup, 2012 Match 2, 21 July 8:00 MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Jul 15, 2012.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    go figure
    I thought the ones hanging from the stage stuff was cool, too.
    Maybe this next game (the stage will still be up, right?) purposefully put a bunch up there.

2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    each game has featured one of the teams being shutout, too.
    Weird 3 game stretch to say the least

3. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a brain buster for ya. Let's say Espy is ahead of the ball, as in the pic above, and Sabo stops the ball and Espy tracks back and taps it home. Offsides or no? What it comes down to is whether the act of stopping a ball is considered playing the ball.

Personally I'd say this would not be offside, but I wouldn't put money on it.

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he'd be called off.

For the offsides rule to "reset" the defending team must gain full possession of the ball. Thus, if Espy is off when Sabo stops it, as you suggest, and then runs to it - he would be called off as he was in an offsides position before the ball was played again.

Jasonma and KendaReal repped this.
  5. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I bought my double package of red, yellow and blue streamers from the dollar store. Then I rolled them into two streamers turning 12 into 24 for 6 bucks.

It was very cool.

6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like to hand them to different people in my section to throw.
    At one point, I would bring about 50 streamers (from 25 bought) and hand them to everyone around me. It was cool - but got expensive after awhile.

If any of you have phone books - those things make incredibly awesome confetti and are typically free.

7. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Right there in the meaty part of the curve. Not showing off. Not falling behind.

8. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Phone books and news paper make the very best confetti.

I was cutting it up on one inch squares or so but I think going smaller works better. I'm going to try half inch squares or so. More likely to get carried in a breeze.

9. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do they make paper shredders that cut into squares instead of strips? If so that probably wouldn't be a bad investment if you're one to make a lot of confetti. I guess you could just hand tear the strips into smaller bits as well.

10. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phone book? News paper? What are these things of which you speak and believe can be made into confetti?

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  11. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be interested to see how these things actually work.
    I've used a shredder once before thinking "man, this will make confetti so easy to make"

it doesn't.

It makes it have this thick spit wad like density with this weird dust that is awful. The stuff doesn't fly, it stays in massive clumps and has a rather awesome tendency to find a person's beer around me.

13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the smaller the squares - the better. If I sit down and really focus on my confetti before the game, I can make stuff that will go from the top of 14 to the north end goal with just a slight breeze.

magazines also make great confetti, just as an fyi

14. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Posted on Colorado's site regarding the incident with the SCU fan.
    I agree with this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DavidJames
    COphysicsDave - The only quibble I have with what otherwise was an excellent comment is including the Rapids season with the other tragedy's. In my mind, pretty much all life's experiences transcend sports, but especially the tragedy's you mention. The rest of this is my mine-rant and not directed at you.

Having some emotions about a soccer match is fine, but to take that outside our own brains is foolish. In my mind, what was said by the RSL supporter is simply a notch above the vitriol and hatred some feel for opposing teams and fans.

I was talking with someone the other day who mentioned during football games, a temporary court is set up at Lincoln field in Philadelphia to handle the volume of arrests for fighting, disorderly conduct etc., mostly between Eagles fans and fans of the other team.

The culture of hate that's developed and nurtured by fans and supporters groups is the antithesis of what I've always heard was the best attribute of sports. What the RSL supportor said shouldn't come as a shock when it's nothing more then a step up on the ladder of bad sportsmanship. He simply took the negative feelings between opposing fans, and kicked it up a notch. As a fan, if you talk about the other teams in terms of hate, and you want to know where that guy's coming from, look in the mirror.

I know, I know, it's all in fun, it's just people showing enthusiasm for the sport. That's a sad indictment on the human condition when that's the chosen emotion of some sports fans.
    Misc. Musing at http://netlowdown.com/blogs/
    DavidJames, 56 minutes ago Report#204UnrepQuote
    You repped this.

BalanceUT repped this.