Rocky Mountain Cup, 2012 Match 2, 21 July 8:00 MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Jul 15, 2012.

1. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can agree with the tasteless among friends, I tend to do that as well. But going after the locals for it is incredibly tasteless. While I assume that all traveling fans didn't know someone personally that was there for that tragic event, you really can't know for certain. If the comments are true, I can only hope karma seriously kicks that person in the ass and hard. Bash the players, the fans, or Hesmer's grandma, but throwing around insults about a tragic event like that is so far beyond the line it's sickening.

2. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Just saw the highlights and wanted to mention it was classy of Saborio to wait and see whether Espindola's ball would go in before tapping it in himself.

BalanceUT repped this.
  3. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to get three points, but that was far from a convincing performance. RSL needs more creativity and movement in the middle. I would be interested in seeing a midfield of:

Morales
    Gil. Alvarez
    Beckerman

If a SCU member or members actually said something like reported and if it can be confirmed I would favor banning that person for life and the whole group for the rest of the season, hard to believe anyone would have so little class.

4. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    I am glad the second goal was created by two situations that we need more of. Saborio pressuring hard and not giving up and Johnson closer to goal sometimes for the finish. We need more offense from Johnson and not just outside shots that rarely go in. Colorado is not that good of team.

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually there's a very good chance most of the travelling fans knew one of the victims. Jessica Ghawi was killed in the attack and she was a occasional member of the BSG supporters group in the Terrraces and a former intern at Altitude, so she had been around the team in one capacity or another for many years. I didn't know her personally but I wouldn't be shocked to find out I had talked to her at a tailgate or road game in the past. Altitude had a nice tribute to her after the pre-game show and at halftime last night.

Not that you need to have known anyone to make comments like that reprehensible, but that makes it even worse. If the comments ass reported are true, the SCU were telling supporters who just had one of their own die in a theater to do the same thing.

6. SALTLAKEJAKE

SALTLAKEJAKE Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Sugarhood
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This last bit happened. It was my banner. Not sure if we'll be hanging them any more.

7. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's still on the payroll in case he recovers. But, he was also doing the pregame and postgame on the Altitude broadcast. So, I have a feeling he's starting his auditions for a new career.

8. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He even looked to be inviting Espy over to get it or receive a pass back so he got the reward of the goal.

9. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Gotta admit, they're so cool that I even thought of stealing them before.....:sneaky:

Hopefully just a mistake. I've had several things "stolen" from me too, but when I approached the person about it, they were happy to resolve it.

Oh yeah, somebody left a blanket and a jacket on my cooler at the tailgate near the Royal Army table. I put it in the back of Jeremy's truck. I don't know if he's still got it, but anybody missing those?

10. lurpythepirate

Sep 14, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good. I know we'll lose the Cup again eventually, but as long as we keep it until he's gone I'll be happy.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SCU is denying anything happened last night, nobody was kicked out, etc. on Twitter so this is probably going to end up as a case where only the people actually there will know what really happened, unfortunately.

12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really liked the banners being hung above section 35. I think more should be drapped from the upper deck down. I know space is somewhat limited as they have the ad boards up there. However, there is space.

If y'all need any help or want to steal one of the few collecting dust in my storage room, I'd be glad to give 'em up. In fact, I'm considering giving my big lion flag to an SG or 35 (which is an SG, really) to fly around. It just doesn't work in my section.

13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The typical response from SCU is that "someone sat with them, that wasn't really part of their SG, and they did the action".
    Isn't that what they said when the guy ran on the pitch?

14. lurpythepirate

Sep 14, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, they have been blamed for stuff they didn't do before. I don't know about the guy who rushed the pitch, I think a couple of them knew him but I'm not sure if he was actually a member, but I know they were accused of throwing coins and the like on the pitch, when in fact they were coming from somewhere near the top of section 9, behind the SCU and RCB. They were also accused of beating a guy with a bat a couple years ago, when it turned out that the guy with the bat was some random asshole nobody knew.

Regardless of affiliation, though, presumably if people got booted by security, their names were taken, and they should receive some kind of disciplinary action from the FO. If they were in fact SCU members, the FO should discuss that with the group's leaders.

15. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I have a real hard time believing that anyone from the SG's has any time to be disrespectful what with all the time and effort it takes to make their tifos.

DrownedElf and 15 to 32 repped this.
  16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
    SCU/RCB do have some nice 2 sticks this year. Of course, they are very obviously not hand made - nice work walmart

17. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I give them props for those. They do look nice, in fact very nice, but they are about SCU and not RSL.

18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    which is very fitting from what I've observed of the group both while sitting with them and next to them

19. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to post something similar to this, if something like this happened it is real shame and SCU as a whole should bear some responsibility. If the incident did not happen, I am the first to say sorry for rushing to judgement. I would hope there are enough sane people in this group to police this themselves and kick off anyone stupid enough to say something like this.

20. SALTLAKEJAKE

SALTLAKEJAKE Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Sugarhood
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly though, this happens a lot. SCU in all actuality isn't as big as it appears to be. There are many "hangers on" that come and sit by them and wear black to feel a part of the group. By no means, however, does it excuse the actions of anyone.

The guy that ran on the pitch was not SCU. I had the fine pleasure of meeting him on a few occasions and he claimed to be, but never paid dues or went through their official membership requirements. He is no longer welcome with them because of his actions and is banned for life from any MLS stadium.

Trev and SCU leadership are doing a very good job right now policing their SG. What needs to happen is more policing of the people that choose to sit in that section with them THAT AREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE THERE. Checking tickets down there might be a good idea.

21. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Good post. I agree with the sentiment.

Listening to a recent interview with Bill Manning he said RSL has a pretty hands off approach to FO & SG relations. I don't know how it works anywhere else but on the surface it looks as though you would need a pretty good working relationship between groups if you wanted to create a giant tifo like the do in places like Chicago or anywhere else.

I like what the SGs bring to the game I just don't see them looking to do much more. Maybe, as Bill pointed out in the interview, RSL has too many SGs and RSL is waiting to see if something organic works or they need to step into help or eliminate.

SALTLAKEJAKE repped this.
  22. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Can we just hang anything you've got in that little gap between the stands and the canopy that the sun shines through for about 10 minutes mid-game for those of us unlucky/cheap enough to be seated on the east side?

23. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    So...Sabo for goal of the year?
    Decade?
    All-time?

MOS5 repped this.
  24. ReAl Football Fan

May 2, 2005
    Ogden, Ut
    Does Espy get an assist? That was a pretty spectacular one if he does.

25. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Yep.